• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
3chrisosgood0

its gotta suck...

Rate this topic

being one of those teams in the west that compete but arent great or consistantly (spelling) good like st louis Anaheim as of late since they won the cup and calgary i looked at the league standings and as we all knwo the teams i just mentioned are out but they are ranked higher than a lot of teams in the east still lookin for spots like the rangers who were 21st or 22nd in the league, it just seems that the west has many more good teams than the east i mean imagine calgary playing out east for a whole season id imagine theyd be safely in the playoffs now instead of on the outside looking in

Well, you can't really just look at points. All the teams don't share the same schedule, especially conference vs. conference. I think the general thought is that the West is better than the East, but I don't think it's as simple as most would try to make it seem.

The final teams getting a playoff spot in the East will have pretty low point totals this year, but part of that has to do with a team like Washington really cleaning up. There is only so many points to go around in a conference, so if a few teams at the top take a lot of points, there's less for the bottom end.

Well, you can't really just look at points. All the teams don't share the same schedule, especially conference vs. conference. I think the general thought is that the West is better than the East, but I don't think it's as simple as most would try to make it seem.

The final teams getting a playoff spot in the East will have pretty low point totals this year, but part of that has to do with a team like Washington really cleaning up. There is only so many points to go around in a conference, so if a few teams at the top take a lot of points, there's less for the bottom end.

Washington only has 7 more points than San Jose currently. And the rest of the top seeds have fewer points. In fact, with the exception of the 1 and 15 spots, every Western team has more points than its Eastern counterpart. The West as a whole has 71 more points than the East. And that's even with 13 fewer OTLs. The West has dominated the East this year.

Part of the reason teams like Washington can clean up in the East though is that there aren't as many good teams. Only a few EC teams have winning records against WC teams, but more than half of the WC teams have winning records against the East.

Washington and Buffalo have the best records in the East against the West, and they are only 10-5-3. That's 1 point worse than Minnesota's EC record. I'm not saying they are worse teams than Minnesota, but in general, the WC teams are beating the EC teams.

Part of the reason teams like Washington can clean up in the East though is that there aren't as many good teams. Only a few EC teams have winning records against WC teams, but more than half of the WC teams have winning records against the East.

Washington and Buffalo have the best records in the East against the West, and they are only 10-5-3. That's 1 point worse than Minnesota's EC record. I'm not saying they are worse teams than Minnesota, but in general, the WC teams are beating the EC teams.

In any given game, any team can win, so the results of few games played between East and West can be misleading. I do think the West has more strong teams, but I don't think it's that significant. They are able to beat up on Edmonton as well.

I think the big difference is how points are spread out. As of today, the average team in the West has 92pts vs. 88pts in the East. Less significant than the difference between the bottom playoff teams in each conference.

In any given game, any team can win, so the results of few games played between East and West can be misleading. I do think the West has more strong teams, but I don't think it's that significant. They are able to beat up on Edmonton as well.

I agree, but there's a pretty consistent losing trend for teams in the East Only three have winning records against the West. Several others have above .500 by points because of OTLs.

Compare that to the west where there's a consistent winning trend. Nine teams have winning records against the East, and almost all of them are .500 or above by points. The only teams that aren't are the Stars and the Oilers.

There's not a huge difference, but the overall trend is pretty hard to ignore.

sorry that was bad writing on the original post, my bad.

but i just also noticed something about the west and that is that when its all said and done that 7 out of the 8 playoffs teams could end with 100 points which i find to be pretty incredible