• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Icesurfer

Blackhawks officially eliminated as first round opponent

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly
Red Wings can't play Chicago in first round; it's down to San Jose, Vancouver or Phoenix

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- According to the Detroit Red Wings public relations department, the Red Wings can't play the Chicago Blackhawks in the first round of the playoffs.

That means the Wings will play San Jose, Vancouver or Phoenix, and that means they'll do a lot of traveling.

It's somewhat confusing, but I think I figured it out:

We already know Detroit can't finish eighth and Chicago can finish only first or second in the West. Detroit can finish seventh, but not if, Chicago finishes second.

For Chicago to finish second, San Jose must earn one or two points against Phoenix on Saturday, and Chicago can’t earn two points Sunday against Detroit because the Blackhawks have the tie-breaker vs. the Sharks.

That means the Red Wings would earn two points Sunday. And with two those points, Detroit is assured of finishing higher than seventh because Nashville would not be able to finish higher than the Wings.

A short way of saying this is the Blackhawks and Wings can't finish 2-7 in tandem.

:clap:

I'm relieved. I know some people feel that the Wings can beat anyone in 7, and that is what I hope for, but I just have a bad feeling about Chicago. I feel that after last year they will be gunning for us. We knocked them out just when they were feeling like they were going to make it. That's got to sting. They will be approaching us with the same venom that we will have should we face the Pens again this year.

Their young players now have playoff experience under their belts, which they were sorely lacking last year. Think of the difference between the '08 Pens and the '09 Pens.

They do have talent there. Of course, there's talent everywhere, but I just feel more confident against Vancouver (assuming that My Sammy is out) or San Jose.

Not a popular opinion, I know, but it's mine.

Edited by 55fan

Guest mindfly

I'm now rooting for Vancouver - that team is banged up, and we certainly know that can have a huge impact.

Vancouver locked at 3rd seed..so wings need to finish 6th.. anyone want to do the mathematics? wings need to lose on sunday + ?

Guest mindfly

There go our chances of watching the whole series on Versus.

Internet streams are gonna fill up now.

Huh? what do you mean?

Huh? what do you mean?

If we played the Hawks, I bet all the games would be nationally televised on Versus and NBC.

Playing against some team like Phoenix or Vancouver lessens those chances. Also, these West coast games mean everyone will have to stay up later, especially if we have long OT's.

A series against the Hawks would have been more convenient in terms of travel, TV exposure, and the time of the games.

But you're in Sweden, so you might not know all our time zones and stuff.

Guest mindfly

Isn't it usually fox sports detroit in the first round then versus in the following rounds and the stanely cup final always on NBC?

Edited by mindfly

I don't know what that guy is talking about Phoenix is not in Pacific Coast Time. Its an hour ahead of LA.

As for the Hawks if they get Kim Johnsson back from concussion systems instead of one of the fill ins to go along with Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, and Byfuglien... look out. Even with injuries to Campbell they still have one of the best D Cores known to man

I don't know what that guy is talking about Phoenix is not in Pacific Coast Time. Its an hour ahead of LA.

As for the Hawks if they get Kim Johnsson back from concussion systems instead of one of the fill ins to go along with Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, and Byfuglien... look out. Even with injuries to Campbell they still have one of the best D Cores known to man

Arizona does not follow Daylight Savings Time. Changed last month... 3 hours difference. Vancouver, LA & Phoenix are all now on same time.

Arizona does not observe Daylight Saving Time (March through November). We do not "spring Forward" in Phoenix -- we always stay on Mountain Standard Time. During Daylight Saving Time (DST) most of Arizona is at the same time as California (Pacific Daylight Time or PDT).

Guest mindfly

It's been different year to year.

Also, many posters here don't live in Detroit and don't have FSD.

Yeah true but you can get center ice in most places in NA though?

Guest mindfly

Waste of cash in my opinion. Other people will disagree, but that's what I think.

But you get to see every game ;) are you a true fan or not? haha :hehe:

But you get to see every game ;) are you a true fan or not? haha :hehe:

I can watch every game on the internet and have pretty much all year.

My initial complaint about not playing Chicago is that now I doubt every game will be on Versus. Kind of like last year against Columbus, where basically the whole series went untelevised.

So either way I'll watch the games, but I'd prefer to watch them on Versus, and don't want to waste money on Center Ice.

s***, the NBA televises every playoff game, so I don't think it's too much to ask to expect that from the NHL.

Because LA lost today against the Oilers (OTL included)....Yeh....if the Wings win tomorrow they automatically have fifth seed and play Phoenix.. and probably start Thursday and play Saturday so Buttman can ramp it up for Saturday TV.

If the Wings lose tomorrow they still can end up in either 5th (vs Phoenix), 6th (vs Vancouver) or 7th (vs San Jose).

Against Vancouver the Wings will probably start Wednesday and play Friday at General Motors Place because the Globetrotters are there on Saturday.... someone said "ay" one too many times when scheduling the Globetrotters...LOL!

The thing about playing Phoenix is you know Buttman will instruct his cronies (Screw-You-LaRue, Way-To-Go-Leggo, Me-An-Ian, Blunder-Land-Sutherland, and Sad-Brad-Watson) to make sure that the series goes 7 games and that they call enough bad penalties to give the Coyotes a chance. He is trying to save the franchise and what better way than to take advantage of the huge Red Wings following. But the good thing is that Jobing.com Arena should be packed with Wings fans... another fund booster for the Yotes.

Guest mjtm77

okay iam doing some hockey stuff and I need advise from some spart people that follow hockey. who you guys think would win in a seven game series. Please do not be bias just cause you hate the hawks and want to see them loose please answer honestly on what team you think would win. I will list the matchups bellow.

1. Sharks vs Nucks

2. Sharks vs Hawks

3 Hawks vs Nucks

4. Yotes vs Kings

5. Yotes vs preds

6. Caps vs Pens

Edited by mjtm77