• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FunkedUp

Wings 4th line?

Rate this topic

Our 4th line is far from settled. As far as I can tell, the only certainty for the 4th line is Miller. The question is: will he play center or wing? Bab's definitely has some decisions to make. I don't think Williams should be playing. He hasn't really served a purpose, and he won't be effective unless he's playing with talented line-mates. That why I say:

Miller-Abby-Draper

This line may not be much of an offensive threat, but they can be mildly physical and they are defensively responsible. Bout all you can ask from a 4th line eh?

If we keep Cleary-Helm-Eaves together that might be good. Our lines will probably get changed up at some point, but until than that is what I hope we have going.

Edited by cjm502

So you'd drop draper for May? Not so sure on that one.

Yup.

May knows and has what it takes to play intense playoff hockey. At this stage of his career it's where he really plays his best. He can provide 7-8 minutes of intense physical forechecking kind of like Drake did in 08.

Yup.

May knows and has what it takes to play intense playoff hockey. At this stage of his career it's where he really plays his best. He can provide 7-8 minutes of intense physical forechecking kind of like Drake did in 08.

hmm, i don't know. I think Draper is still great for those big time faceoff situations, although he has not been used as much in the circle this season.

I just don't think may brings enough to the table. I think Eaves, Miller and Helm provide us with enough high energy, tough working play already. I don't want to start an enforcer debate but I think May's fighting ability is way overrated.

Draper and May both bring loads of experience but having both wont really work and I don't think the wings would ditch one of their most loyal servants for Brad May.

I think that enforcers are less useful in the playoffs than they are in the regular season. May can still forecheck and skate, but I'm not convinced that he would be more useful than Draper (who could be out there to take crucial faceoffs etc.).

Our 4th line is far from settled. As far as I can tell, the only certainty for the 4th line is Miller. The question is: will he play center or wing? Bab's definitely has some decisions to make. I don't think Williams should be playing. He hasn't really served a purpose, and he won't be effective unless he's playing with talented line-mates. That why I say:

Miller-Abby-Draper

This line may not be much of an offensive threat, but they can be mildly physical and they are defensively responsible. Bout all you can ask from a 4th line eh?

At present time, that's what I think is ideal. Enough speed on that line which hopefully leads to good forechecking and turnovers for the other team. If Williams was producing more then I might say different, but that's not the case right now. I understand his roles and won't throw a hissy fit if he's still in the lineup, but he's just bone dry or snakebitten or whatever.

hmm, i don't know. I think Draper is still great for those big time faceoff situations, although he has not been used as much in the circle this season.

I just don't think may brings enough to the table. I think Eaves, Miller and Helm provide us with enough high energy, tough working play already. I don't want to start an enforcer debate but I think May's fighting ability is way overrated.

Draper and May both bring loads of experience but having both wont really work and I don't think the wings would ditch one of their most loyal servants for Brad May.

Yeah, I'm not sold on May-over-Draper, either. I'd definitely take an Abby-Draper-Miller line, though. With Miller taking more faceoffs it gives us two guys who can take the draw, which Babcock loves.

Yeah, I'm not sold on May-over-Draper, either. I'd definitely take an Abby-Draper-Miller line, though. With Miller taking more faceoffs it gives us two guys who can take the draw, which Babcock loves.

Draper-Abs-Miller would be ideal... but Babs is not likely to scratch Willy, expect lines to stay as they are until we lose or if someone gets banged up... Abs will definitely be the first one into the lineup though...

I don't think Draper really even brings that anymore, he's rarely out there for big faceoffs in the regular season so I doubt he would in playoffs anymore. I don't think May will get in over Drapes right away however.

Abby in there might toughen up that line enough that May wouldn't be needed, Abby can probably handle most of the pest type guys that would be a problem in the playoffs. If May got in though I would be pumped because he's just a tougher version of Drake. He would hammer everything knowing this could be his last playoffs. I think Abby will be in pretty much right away over Williams though, Babcock knows you need tough hockey players, its Holland who needs to learn that.

But seriously, you think Helm, Miller and Eaves provide enough energy? Helm has big hits come playoffs and provides energy yes, Eaves is a decent energy player but its not like he wears opponents down really and Miller isn't physical at all. These 3 would be good compliments to May and Abby on the 4th line though because that line would be physical as hell and a treat to watch. Noone would f*** with that line.

I'd also like to see May with Abby and Miller.

That would be a great checking line that could create some havoc. Draper has been invisible for too long now. He's no longer a solid checker either, unless pinning the puck along the boards counts as a bodycheck.

Why is babcock not likely to scratch williams..i dont get it?

Some ppl think he wont because he plays the PP. I think Babcock understands the importance of tough hockey in the playoffs and will scratch him however.

Our third and fourth lines have looked great all season IMO, with the one notable exception of Williams. Keep him out of there, and I don't think we can go wrong with pretty much any combination.

Why is babcock not likely to scratch williams..i dont get it?

Because other than him, our only other right handed shot coming off the bench is Osgood, and Babs likes having the right-left D on the PP.

Edited by Shaman464

Our third and fourth lines have looked great all season IMO, with the one notable exception of Williams. Keep him out of there, and I don't think we can go wrong with pretty much any combination.

Our 4th line would look even better with Abby out there over Williams for sure and maybe with May over Draper depending on who we're playing.

I wouldn't scratch Draper for May in the playoffs, but I would look for a way to get May in there. Draper is too valuable in the playoffs.

I do think Williams will (eventually) be scratched in favor of someone like Abdelkader. I don't see anyone other than May and Abdelkader actually seeing playing time, though out of the call-ups.

Because other than him, our only other right handed shot coming off the bench is Osgood, and Babs likes having the right-left D on the PP.

Yeah, that's a good point. Other than Williams, Eaves is our only right handed shot right now with Maltby not playing.

I wonder how many other teams only have 1 or 2 players who shoot right handed?

From what I've seen this season, Draper is a guy who can still win a faceoff and provide speedy forechecking pressure. You can't take that stuff for granted. At the same time, I think May, though not as fast, can provide similar pressure because he's looking to hit you every time and he can bring some good energy as well. I don't really want him there because he can fight. I just want him there because he's willing to really hit and throw his body around and it shouldn't wear on him as much as it will on guys like Helm, Eaves and Miller.

I don't think we've seen May at his best this year because it's the playoffs that really brings it out of him. I think Abby and Miller have enough skill for 4th line players.

If this was 2006-2008 then I wouldn't even think about replacing Draper since he was the #1 PK guy in that time. He's not that guy anymore and like Osgood I think he can provide his best contribution in the locker room.

Abby better be in, I have never seen someone hit so much in my life. That kid was a freaking machine, nothing slowed him down. He led our team in hits for so long with less games played than everyone else and less ice time playing on the 4th line.

Also, Draper has absolutely no offense to his game. He has been playing a defensive role for so long his mindset is just different from everyone else. Skating in to the offensive zone he will dump the puck in 95/100 instead of trying to make a play. He plays like he is on the pk when he isnt. I know he is not out there to score, but he can at least try.

Edited by cjm502