• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

Just wondering people's rituals for the playoff beard, when to shave, trimming, etc.

Personally I shaved every morning for the last two weeks (which I haven't done since working before University) just to prepare and shall shave tomorrow morning for the last time. But does anyone else have their own rituals? For example do some people shave after every loss? Or just wait until after the final game? Plus what are your views on trimming. I'm planning for two months of unkempt growth! I shall also wear my two jerseys every day, regardless of occasion.

Plus ladies, let us know your rituals as I know in recent years the bracelets have worked well!

Feel free to post periodical pictures of beards as well.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#2 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

Just wondering people's rituals for the playoff beard, when to shave, trimming, etc.

Personally I shaved every morning for the last two weeks (which I haven't done since working before University) just to prepare and shall shave tomorrow morning for the last time. But does anyone else have their own rituals? For example do some people shave after every loss? Or just wait until after the final game? Plus what are your views on trimming. I'm planning for two months of unkempt growth! I shall also wear my two jerseys every day, regardless of occasion.

Plus ladies, let us know your rituals as I know in recent years the bracelets have worked well!

Feel free to post periodical pictures of beards as well.

I do a final shave the morning the playoffs start and then go all out until the playoffs end for the Wings, win or lose. NO TRIMMING ALLOWED!

#3 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

I started my playoff beard when the Olympics ended because I decided it was pretty much playoff time at that point. So far, so good. It stays til the Wings are done. GO WINGS GO!

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#4 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

My beard is a weak one but I'll try to keep a 'stache going atleast.

#5 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

I did mine the right way, and stopped shaving when we clinched.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#6 VanDer

VanDer

Irish Wing!

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

since I am only 19 this is the first year i can grow a decent beard. I will shave the morning of game 1 against phoenix and keep it going until we are out/win the cup.

#7 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

Are we suppose to shave private parts during the playoffs? I could use a good excuse to go Italian for a few weeks.

#8 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

My thinking is in line with Ozzie's on playoff beards.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#9 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

I always shave the morning of the first playoff game and then let it grow from there
HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#10 HD30

HD30

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:16 PM

I started my playoff beard when the Olympics ended because I decided it was pretty much playoff time at that point. So far, so good. It stays til the Wings are done. GO WINGS GO!

I did this too mostly be cause I was lazy towards the end of the olympic break, and decided what the heck, I'll start early this year. Has worked like a charm.

#11 Xitium

Xitium

Super Lurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:16 PM

The girls on this board have been doing a thread/wristband thing based on the Wings wins and losses in the playoffs.

Unfortunately for me, my job requires clean shaven everyday.

If you start a new thread within two hours after a Wings game, specifically a loss, YOU ARE WRONG.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

i will not participate in the beard this year. Didn't in 08 and we won. Did in 09 and we lost. So I am going without this year.

#13 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

I shave the day after the Wings last regular season game (so tomorrow morning)

Then I do not shave again until the playoffs are over, or if there is a special occasion that I NEED to be clean shaven for.

#14 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

I always have a beard, because I am a man.

I started growing it out as a, 'let's get in' beard. I will now trim it and let it grow again for the playoffs.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#15 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

I can't do it. I can grow facial hair absurdly fast, I can probably get a good beard in 3-4 days, but I can't stand the itching and scratching at it. Every time I grow a goatee I get too impatient and shave it off after a week usually. No facial hair for me.

#16 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

shave the night of the last regular season game and then no shaving till they win it all or get eliminated. Hopefully I look like Gandalf this year(unlikely because my beard sucks) Its go time desert dogs!

#17 Creasemonkey

Creasemonkey

Goaltender for Hire

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

+1. And it's already getting pretty beardy.

#18 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

I'm shaving tonight and not again until the Wings get eliminated. I have graduation in a few weeks (college), so I might have to shave then though. This year I will probably grow it for a few weeks and then shave it into a terrible mustache. I grow terrible facial hair- spotty, thin, disconnected.

Edited by WorkingOvertime, 11 April 2010 - 10:26 PM.

#19 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

I don't really do anything. I just watch the games.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#20 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

I can't do it. I can grow facial hair absurdly fast, I can probably get a good beard in 3-4 days, but I can't stand the itching and scratching at it. Every time I grow a goatee I get too impatient and shave it off after a week usually. No facial hair for me.

THIS. I'm sorry, but I just can't. Those who can put up with it deserve some serious praise. It. Feels. Terrible.