• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:44 PM

More often than not, I can live with bad calls or missed calls as they are usually inevitable. Accidental high stick when you don't have eyes in the back of your head, I can live with accidentally missing stuff that's pretty hard to see. Human error is inevitable in stuff like this, I get that, understand, and try more often than not to give them the benefit of the doubt. When they are right there though with something that should be an obvious call, have a discussion for a decent amount of time between dead whistles though, and still don't get it right, that irritates the hell out of me. They did a great job the whole game both ways until that point, and it's unfortunate that it was a big, big error.

All eyes were also on the faceoff on the winning goal. And Doan CLEARLY obstructed Helm, who is a great shot blocker and was heading to the front of the net and would have challenged the Morris blast. They never seem to miss those obstruction calls on the faceoffs, but they missed this one.
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#42 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

how bout them phantom calls on phoenix

Posted Image

#43 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

Conspiracy theories? Really? Oh brother. If we lose, it's because we got outplayed or we were injured and couldn't compensate or some combination of both, not because there was a "fix" in.

Take off the tin foil hat, please.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#44 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:22 PM

All eyes were also on the faceoff on the winning goal. And Doan CLEARLY obstructed Helm, who is a great shot blocker and was heading to the front of the net and would have challenged the Morris blast. They never seem to miss those obstruction calls on the faceoffs, but they missed this one.

To be honest, on that play, Helm really looked to be trying to buy a call there. Had it been Crosby, everyone would be calling him a diver.

There is always interference type plays on face offs and sometimes there are calls and sometimes there are not. The key is positioning. If you have position on a guy, they generally give you the benefit of the doubt and allow you to "defend" that position - to me, it's still interference, but I can understand the logic. They'll call the intereference, which I've seen several times off draws, when a guy is about to get a step on you and you impede his progress ever so slightly.

Edited by toby91_ca, 15 April 2010 - 01:23 PM.

#45 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

I love how everyone dogpiling on Icesurfer are CERTAIN there is no funny business going on. Like you guys even have a clue what's really going on in the league behind closed doors. I wonder how many people were saying the same thing before that NBA ref got busted for fixing games?

esteef

Edited by esteef, 15 April 2010 - 02:48 PM.

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#46 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:55 PM

I love how everyone dogpiling on Icesurfer are CERTAIN there is no funny business going on. Like you guys even have a clue what's really going on in the league behind closed doors. I wonder how many people were saying the same thing before that NBA ref got busted for fixing games?

esteef

In order for there to be a conspiracy, there needs to be competence. If you can tell me with a straight face that the NHL brass is competent, you should take those skills to Vegas and bluff your way to a couple million bucks.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#47 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

esteef

A ref trying to impact a game is more believable, the league itself trying to fix games....not so much.

If you really think about it, the league as a whole makes more money if the Wings move on rather than Phoenix, so I'm not sure why the league would try to fix it such that Phoenix advances. There's more to it than that and there are likely reasons the league would want Phoenix to move on, but to think that the league itself would actually try to pull strings to make that happen is beyond rationale.

#48 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

esteef

Posted Image

#49 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

Oh, and this type of conspiracy thinking is going to be impossible to ignore since the NHL owns the Coyotes and they employ the refs. That's why it's not ideal for the league to own a team-- it's a clear conflict of interest. Whether they do something wrong or not people will still have suspicions.

From Toronto Star :

Bettman took a few moments before the game to answer questions, the most popular being: If the Coyotes won the Cup, whose name would go down as owner on the inscription?

My name, (deputy commissioner) Bill Dalys name and the 29 owners in the league will not be on the Cup, said Bettman, chuckling at the prospect. If the Coytoes are fortunate to go the distance, it will start with (president) Doug Moss and (GM Don) Maloney.

Im not the owner of the club. The club is owned by the other 29 clubs.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#50 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

So if they win, he'll hand the Cup to Crosby first because hey, it's everybody's Cup! :P

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#51 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:05 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#52 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#53 dicksmack

dicksmack

Tunnel bus to the Joe!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

Esteef rocks.

I can live with the non-call on the interference on Helm because it appeared as though both players were expecting a scrambled draw and headed for the circle. That kind of stuff happens in the playoffs and as long as it is called or not called consistently, It doesn't impact the outcome of the game. The Lidstrom high stick was a case where the refs clearly saw it and chose not to give the Wings a 5 on 3 with a second 2 minutes added on for the high stick. Even the linesmen can call a high stick so don't tell me they didn't see it. Other than that, I had no issue with the officiating.
Finally someone that can post with actually integrity, nice to see. :thumbup: --Carman

#54 Coffey77

Coffey77

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

Is it always someone else's fault? Does the NHL fix every game? Do they fix every season except for the years that the Wings win? You can't script a hockey game. If it's something blatant that clearly decides a season, people will see it and noise will be made. But all in all, the better team is going to find a way to win a 7 game series. That's why it's seven games, not one game. I don't find myself calling for a conspiracy, but then again "Buttman" rigs every game so my team will win.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about last night.To my dismay, Wings in 5.

Thanks to TeeMan for the sig

#55 BiscuitBoss

BiscuitBoss

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

So we all know by now that Buttman is trying to save the Phoenix franchise. And we all know that the Red Wing-Phoenix matchup will bring a ton of money into Phoenix and the franchise.

So how far will Buttman and his cronies go to try to fix the games so it goes 7 full games?

We know that Phoenix does not score a ton of goals as they have relied on the shootout to put them where they are.

So we just may see a lot of bad penalty calls and power plays for the Coyotes.

IMHO, if we see Screw-You-LaRue, Way-To-Go-Leggo, Me-An-Ian-Walsh, Blunder-Land-Sutherland, Marc-Joanie-Cronie and Sad-Brad-Watson as the refs, especially at Jobing.com Arena, I think I would be highly suspicious.

Anyone that knows the true history of the NHL, and Buttman, are not one bit surprised that the league owned and ran coyotes are pre-determined to win this series. This does not excuse the fact that the Wings are just not as good this year, for a variety of reasons. Good post.

#56 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

Were there missed called. Yes.

But 1 PP goal on 6 chances and 3 PP goals against lost the Wings that game, not the missed calls.

#57 BiscuitBoss

BiscuitBoss

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:18 PM

Is it always someone else's fault? Does the NHL fix every game? Do they fix every season except for the years that the Wings win? You can't script a hockey game. If it's something blatant that clearly decides a season, people will see it and noise will be made. But all in all, the better team is going to find a way to win a 7 game series. That's why it's seven games, not one game. I don't find myself calling for a conspiracy, but then again "Buttman" rigs every game so my team will win.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about last night.To my dismay, Wings in 5.

Hey, I got an idea. Why don't you hang out in your own teams' web site instead of trolling around in here to piss us off after you got lucky with overrated players, and league backing last year. You will find that consistent greatness is the toughest accomplishment in sports, and is beyond your franchise. Maybe deep down you realize these facts and thats why you hang out in a truly great franchise's site.

#58 soonboomer

soonboomer

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:18 PM

The next time the Redwings lose a series because the other team was better or simply just outplayed them will be the first time according to some of you conspiracy theorists. No wonder the Wings fan base is among the most hated in the league.

#59 Coffey77

Coffey77

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

Hey, I got an idea. Why don't you hang out in your own teams' web site instead of trolling around in here to piss us off after you got lucky with overrated players, and league backing last year. You will find that consistent greatness is the toughest accomplishment in sports, and is beyond your franchise. Maybe deep down you realize these facts and thats why you hang out in a truly great franchise's site.

That's why I am here. I want to be more like you guys. :blush:

I made a statement about conspiracy theories, and you responded by insulting the Penguins. That's not how message boards work. I am not going to reply with an insult of the Red Wings, because this thread is about conspiracy theories, not about whether the Red Wings or the Pens are better.

Thanks to TeeMan for the sig

#60 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:08 PM

That's why I am here. I want to be more like you guys. :blush:

I made a statement about conspiracy theories, and you responded by insulting the Penguins. That's not how message boards work. I am not going to reply with an insult of the Red Wings, because this thread is about conspiracy theories, not about whether the Red Wings or the Pens are better.

From what I remember, you're one of the few Pens fans who comes here and DOESN'T start s***, so kudoes to you for that.