• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

Ever since coming over from LA I think Brad Stuart has been quite solid for us, one of our better defenseman consistently. In the 08' Cup run he solidified our top 4 and i believe in the finals he had 6 points in the first 4 games leading our team. In the 09' playoffs when we were hurting with injuries he stepped up his game and was pretty good. Some of us remember his gaffs in game 7, which i think is unfair.

This year he is one of only 3 Wings to play 82 games, he stepped up huge when our lineup was depleted, and has been great for us on the back end all year. To top it off he came up big today in OT pinching in and reading the play perfectly.

All in all I guess since coming over from LA i'd say Stuie as definatly exceeded most people's expectations.

A+ for Stuie!

Posted Image

#2 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

He's been pretty solid since coming over. Great goal today.

Still have trouble with his game 7 last year....

But this is an appreciation thread so I appreciate him, :clap:

haha.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#3 Soul Power

Soul Power

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

Still haven't forgiven him for game 7... :thumbdown:. Yes, I'm still bitter. :sly:

#4 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

Stuart has been rock solid in Detroit, imho you could not ask for a better 3-4 pairing in the league. Stuart and Kronwall were fantastic this year, there was a time when Stuart was the best wing on the ice for games, well him and J-Ho.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#5 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

Still haven't forgiven him for game 7... :thumbdown:. Yes, I'm still bitter. :sly:

I would find it harder to if we didn't win the Cup the year before.

Winning the Cup the year before took the sting away of losing game 7 ALOT.

Posted Image

#6 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,251 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:18 PM

Stuart was a great pickup for the Wings. solid middle pairing, and provides a much needed physical presence to the Wings defensive corps.

And as people have mentioned, he really stepped up for this team in the first half of the season when they were struggling with injuries, and just trying to right the ship in general.

Thank you LA Kings for letting him go (though with all their young talent at D, I can't blame them).

#7 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

"Yayyy! I used to be an offensive defenseman!!!"

Posted Image

#8 stormboy

stormboy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:51 AM

yeah, i sorta wish he wasn't tied for second-worse on the team +/- wise, but he doesn't score a lot, whereas rafalski does. i also enjoy that he only took 11 penalties in 82 games this year. hopefully he can bring his physical game (with a bit of offense) to the playoffs this year! to me, he's always shown flashes of brilliance but also a lot of facepalm moments...kinda like filppula in that way.

in any case, he's a wing, so i appreciate him. go brad!

go wings.

#9 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:10 AM

How the hell were we supposed to win game 7 last year anyway, scoring only one goal and a fluke one at that. It's funny how most losses are pinned on one guy or one play when there's a bigger problem in the background.

Go Stuart. :thumbup:
Thank You TeeMan

#10 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:45 AM

How the hell were we supposed to win game 7 last year anyway, scoring only one goal and a fluke one at that. It's funny how most losses are pinned on one guy or one play when there's a bigger problem in the background.

Go Stuart. :thumbup:

No doubt.

Truth be told he had a few gaffes last spring although many others on the team weren't up to par as well.

Stewie has been a nice addition to the Red Wings :thumbup:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#11 RedWings

RedWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:51 AM

great goal yesterday
good guys like cleary, stuart scored goals lately.. It will take pressure off the big guys.
wings cup winning teams always had great secondary scoring... we lacked that against the pens last year

#12 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:00 AM

I didn't know much about Stuart when he arrived, other than he had a few other teams under his belt. I remember being really underwhelmed with our deadline acquisition of a journeyman defenseman, but I am really happy about it now. Ever since he arrived, I've thought him to be a great addition.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#13 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

#14 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpzEyIU3Jjo

lovedd that! stuart def deserved the ot winner and 5th seed clinching goal with his play all season despite his plus minus

i remember when stuart first came over he used to bring the puck behind the offensive net. i think his first goal with the wings was a wrap around.

#15 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

I loved watching Stewie knocking Versteeg over and over again. It's so fitting that he got the OT winner too.

Posted Image

#16 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:19 PM

A Brad Stuart appreciation thread must have this:

New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#17 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

Lets not forget Round 1 last year against the BJ's

lighten up people, it's the internet!

#18 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:20 AM

A Brad Stuart appreciation thread must have this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoc5yoRxoQQ

Remember when the Pens bench claimed that was a dirty hit?

#19 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:39 AM

he stepped up huge when our lineup was depleted, and has been great for us on the back end all year.

A+ for Stuie!

Won't argue with the first point, but then again a lot of people stepped up a lot during that time. Eaves, Miller, Howard, etc.

And as for the second point, he's tied with Meech in +/-, and he's still behind Leino, Abdelkader, and Lebda in the same stat.

"Great" is not an adjective I'd use in association with Stuart. "Mediocre" or "meh" are more apt descriptions of his playing ability.

He's the one Wing (other than Williams, that waste of space) that I honestly don't like. I'd rather Lebda, Lilja, or Ericsson have his playing time.

I'd give him a C as a defenseman in general, but for the $3.75M we pay him, D+ is going to be the best he'll see from me until he stops letting forwards rip shots from prime position and figures out how to play in front of the net.

#20 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,251 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:50 AM

Won't argue with the first point, but then again a lot of people stepped up a lot during that time. Eaves, Miller, Howard, etc.

And as for the second point, he's tied with Meech in +/-, and he's still behind Leino, Abdelkader, and Lebda in the same stat.

"Great" is not an adjective I'd use in association with Stuart. "Mediocre" or "meh" are more apt descriptions of his playing ability.

He's the one Wing (other than Williams, that waste of space) that I honestly don't like. I'd rather Lebda, Lilja, or Ericsson have his playing time.

I'd give him a C as a defenseman in general, but for the $3.75M we pay him, D+ is going to be the best he'll see from me until he stops letting forwards rip shots from prime position and figures out how to play in front of the net.

That would be a disaster.

Stuart had a really bad run right before the Olympics, but he seems to have recovered. But comparing his plus minus to Meech, Leino, Abby, doesn't really mean anything. They weren't asked to do what Stuart was during that stretch.

He's no Nick Lidstrom, but who the hell is? He's a solid middle pairing guy, and hopefully you'll like him more when he puts someone through the boards. Come playoff time, guys are skating with their head on a swivel when Stuart and Kronwall are on the ice.