#21 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#22 Green Wing

Green Wing

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:40 PM

Anyone else think Stuart is playing great at the moment?

He's our only real physical presence on defense, and he seems to have a lot of confidence on the puck too.

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:41 PM

When he's on, he's on. Wonderful game by him tonight.

Edit: He was also the game's ice-time leader.

Edited by Crymson, 23 April 2010 - 11:48 PM.

#24 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

In reflecting on Stuart's good year this past season I think it's safe to say that he really stepped up. In regards to what we can expect from him next year I'm wondering if we're all going to expect the Brad Stuart that was the team's best defensemen at one point in the year. We all like to think, "Oh wow, if he was that good then, then he should be that good next year and if everybody's healthy our back end will be really strong!"

I'm not so sure though. Perhaps it was the situation of injuries that brought out Stuart's great game as opposed to a situation where the defense corps are relatively healthier like in 08-09 where he didn't nearly play as well. If everybody's healthy then he might feel like he doesn't have to step up and so we won't see as great of a game from him.

#25 Green Wing

Green Wing

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

In reflecting on Stuart's good year this past season I think it's safe to say that he really stepped up. In regards to what we can expect from him next year I'm wondering if we're all going to expect the Brad Stuart that was the team's best defensemen at one point in the year. We all like to think, "Oh wow, if he was that good then, then he should be that good next year and if everybody's healthy our back end will be really strong!"

I'm not so sure though. Perhaps it was the situation of injuries that brought out Stuart's great game as opposed to a situation where the defense corps are relatively healthier like in 08-09 where he didn't nearly play as well. If everybody's healthy then he might feel like he doesn't have to step up and so we won't see as great of a game from him.

I'm not sure Wings fans will be expecting great things to be honest. I've never been convinced in general of the Wings fans love for him. He had a real bad spell in Jan - Feb '10 for over a month or so. Other than that though, I'd suggest he was one of the best players last season. I notice my post from 24th April - ironically he made a couple of bad errors in the following game (against Phoenix) and I thought I'd jinxed him. But he came back to finish pretty strong, that being the only dodgy game for Brad in the playoffs. Otherwise, he was very good.

I just think he'd be so much better if there was one or two more physical d-men in the team. As it stands, he almost has to do it all himself, in regards to clearing the crease and throwing the body along the boards, especially since Kronwall has never looked 100% since his knee injury.

Gotta say I am a fan of Stuart though, all in all. Considering he was leading in ice-time on numerous occasions last season, I'm hoping for a general (if slight) improvement on his previous endeavors for the Wings. If the defense is healthy, and especially if Kronwall is back to his best and the third pairing is strong and solid, then I think the overall defense could form the platform for a SC-challenging team.

I've always thought he's been a real good pick-up by Kenny Holland.

#26 Puckpossession

Puckpossession

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

i appreciate him choking in game 7 of scf 08-09

#27 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a Lids Stuart pairing this season a little.
Ralf Kronwall is a decent pairing as well so it is not like the move would really hinder either pairing.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#28 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a Lids Stuart pairing this season a little.
Ralf Kronwall is a decent pairing as well so it is not like the move would really hinder either pairing.

I think you have the right thought of splitting it up, but I think you're pairings are off...

We basically are molding Kronwall to take over for Lidstrom when the day comes and what better way for him to truly mold, rather than playing with him... also, Stuart is a very solid defensive defensman and adds the physical element that Rafalski sorely misses... plus, they looked VERY good together when Babs paired them up at the end of the season and really compliment one another...

I think if anything, it should go:
Lidstrom-Kronwall
Stuart-Rafalski

Back to the topic at hand though, Stuart fits here GREAT and adds exactly what we need from a 2-4 defenseman, he shouldn't be asked to play top 2 minutes, because he is his best at this role and fills it VERY well.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#29 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

i appreciate him choking in game 7 of scf 08-09

I don't appreciate you being a ******.

Edited by henrik40, 14 June 2010 - 11:50 AM.

#30 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

I really like Brad Stuart, he is so consistent and plays a solid game. He may not put up numbers but he sure as hell does play a good defensive game. Not to mention his BEA-U-TI-FUL game 7 goal against the Coyotes. He stole the puck and had that breakaway and scored. Man that pumped me up!

Posted Image

#31 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

Stewie needs to get back to (in the most eloquent ways I could put it) rocking mofo's. I realize he was playing the entire year banged up but his game and all out effort back on the blue line is one of the more under looked parts of this team. Brings an edge like no other but yes him and Kronner need to be broken up. That pairing was real good for the last couple Cup runs but this year I would have to say we need to mix it up. Nick and Kronner Stewie and Raffi would be a nice fit. But Stewie is appreciated bottom line.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#32 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

I really like Brad Stuart, he is so consistent and plays a solid game. He may not put up numbers but he sure as hell does play a good defensive game. Not to mention his BEA-U-TI-FUL game 7 goal against the Coyotes. He stole the puck and had that breakaway and scored. Man that pumped me up!

That was pretty awesome. It was also very amusing that Schneider absolutely got left in the dust.

#33 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

his breakaway goal was 5 fistpumps out of 5

Posted Image

#34 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

I think you have the right thought of splitting it up, but I think you're pairings are off...

We basically are molding Kronwall to take over for Lidstrom when the day comes and what better way for him to truly mold, rather than playing with him... also, Stuart is a very solid defensive defensman and adds the physical element that Rafalski sorely misses... plus, they looked VERY good together when Babs paired them up at the end of the season and really compliment one another...

I think if anything, it should go:
Lidstrom-Kronwall
Stuart-Rafalski

Back to the topic at hand though, Stuart fits here GREAT and adds exactly what we need from a 2-4 defenseman, he shouldn't be asked to play top 2 minutes, because he is his best at this role and fills it VERY well.

OK you sold me!

I was not stuck on either pairing, but I think the Lids Ralf pairing needs a break, and while Kronner and Stewie are great together they are a little to similar and that physical aspect they bring is missing on the Lids Ralf pairing.

And I agree 100% Stewie is and has been a great fit here!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock