• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Howard Becomes Yet Another Different Wings Playoff Starter

Rate this topic

With Jimmy Howard being the starter in the playoffs, that got me thinking about how many different netminders we've started in the playoffs since the mid 90's.

Osgood, Vernon, Hasek, Cujo, Legace and now Howard. You can even count Ozzie and Hasek twice, because they've had several different stints with the team.

I don't think there's ever been a dynasty in the NHL that had so many different starting goalies during their run.

I think it's a testament to our defense and the system that we can keep rotating goalies like this every couple of years in the playoffs.

Let's just hope that with Howard we've found someone who can stay here for about 10 years or so.

The only thing Osgood will be starting is possibly warm-ups. Howard has earned his playing time. The first few games are going to be a critical period for him to make or break his confidence. I have no doubt Ozzie will be ready if we need to call on him.

This thread is not about which goalie should start.

You should have read a little better before you posted.

Implying that the said user can actually read.

:unsure:

It's defintely a testament to the philosphy that it's better to spend money on more more predictable positions that benefit all aspects of the game rather than a position that even the best goalies can lose games for you.

It's defintely a testament to the philosphy that it's better to spend money on more more predictable positions that benefit all aspects of the game rather than a position that even the best goalies can lose games for you.

Well, in all honesty, Howard is the first young goalie we've had since Osgood back in the 90's.

Since then, we've been chasing after goalies in free agency. Some succeeded and some didn't, but the one constant has been that no one has stuck around here for long.

Well, in all honesty, Howard is the first young goalie we've had since Osgood back in the 90's.

Since then, we've been chasing after goalies in free agency. Some succeeded and some didn't, but the one constant has been that no one has stuck around here for long.

I guess that's true, but since the cap we haven't given a free agent goaltender big money long term contract.

I'm not afraid to say that I was a Howard supporter from the start. I'm a huge Ozzie fand but I had confidence in Jimmy to be an NHL Goalie with the Detroit Red Wings. He's a great goalie and has really proven himself in my book. I can't wait to see how he plays in the the playoffs. How he does will determine alot as to how far the Wings go in this year's playoffs. I hope it's a very deep and very long run into the playoffs this season. Let's Go Red Wings!!

With Jimmy Howard being the starter in the playoffs, that got me thinking about how many different netminders we've started in the playoffs since the mid 90's.

Osgood, Vernon, Hasek, Cujo, Legace and now Howard. You can even count Ozzie and Hasek twice, because they've had several different stints with the team.

I don't think there's ever been a dynasty in the NHL that had so many different starting goalies during their run.

I think it's a testament to our defense and the system that we can keep rotating goalies like this every couple of years in the playoffs.

Let's just hope that with Howard we've found someone who can stay here for about 10 years or so.

I think it's also a testament to the consistency of this franchise. Over 20 years of playoff runs you're bound to have many different starters (obviously New Jersey is a special exception :P ).

Agreed.

Looking at this year's playoffs, our experience can make up for any early nervous play by Howard. Jimmy won't be expected to carry the team, unlike some of the best goalies in the league.

I kind of miss him. We need more insane posters to spice this forum up.

sirdrake was a legend on this forum. I friggin miss that guys threads hahah.

As far as the goalies, it truely is a testament to how solid a franchise we have. As long as our goalie is good enough, we can win. When he's great (Hasek 02, Osgood 08) it's great, but as long as they make the needed saves (Ozzie 98) we're fine. It's when they cant make the saves (Legace 06) or when the team cant score more then a goal a game yet the goalie has a heck of a series (Cujo 03,04) is when we have the problems. I really think Howard can be good enough that we can do it again this year.

Wow, the Wings really have rotated goalies over the years.

Vernon, Osgood, Hasek, Joseph, Legace, Hasek, Osgood, Howard.

I just really hope Howard is a difference maker for the team during the playoffs. The team is so experienced and talented that having a hot goaltender would carry us right to the Cup.

All the goalies you mentioned were good and or great, but not necessarily dominant while wearing the winged wheel. This is the first year I can remember where I feel our goaltending can be a legitimate part of winning a series and can match up with the Bryzkolov's, Luongos, etc. I'm expecting a deep run and it will be partially on the back of Jimmie Howard - mark my words.

All the goalies you mentioned were good and or great, but not necessarily dominant while wearing the winged wheel. This is the first year I can remember where I feel our goaltending can be a legitimate part of winning a series and can match up with the Bryzkolov's, Luongos, etc. I'm expecting a deep run and it will be partially on the back of Jimmie Howard - mark my words.

i'm not saying that jimmy won't be a part of our run if it goes deep this year...but i think you're putting the cart before the horse to put howard on par with bryz and loo in terms of playoff goaltending. regular season and playoffs can be totally different things: we've seen the inverse with osgood the past two seasons, with regular seasons ranging from mediocre to terrible, followed by amazing playoffs. howard is untested, and even a very good or very bad playoff will not solidify his worth as a playoff goalie -- it could be a fluke either way, or, either way, it might be totally indicative of his future potential. there's just no way to know right now.