• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DatsyukianDeke13

How about Danny Cleary?

Rate this topic

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

With so many appreciation threads, I thought one for Clears would be appropriate. Has this guy been playing well or what?

I've treated this thread as the Cleary one since the OP proposed that The Wings trade him after the season:

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64049

But I love what he's done for the third line. I really think that's a better fit for him. He has linemates who have similar natural tendencies as he is more of a chip and chase kind of guy. When he was with Zetterberg he would sometimes dump the puck in and nobody would chase after it. Now Z has Fil as a linemate, who can hang onto the puck and make plays and Cleary has Helm and Eaves who can chase after the puck and set him up for shots. I really like how it's working out for both lines.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I think the biggest thing to point out is that Cleary gave us a dangerous third line

I'm glad that Babs was forced to break up the 4th line of Draper Helm Eaves, even though they were consistent. Adding Cleary to that line has really made them a threat to score goals.

In the playoffs, having a solid 3rd line is really important, I'm glad he's been doing well with these guys. Additionally, our 4th line has a myriad of options, many of which are favorable for a 4th line. I'm pretty happy with our lineup right now.

anyone ever injure their groin playing hockey?

i have, and it completely destroys the "extra step"

it would seem cleary's groin has healed and he got that extra step back. good to see him flying again just in time for the post season. :thumbup:

Danny himself even said that his groin isn't completely healed and that it won't be until he nurses it during the off-season.

I don't know if he's skating better himself. I just think Helm and Eaves are better linemates for him because they can really skate and retrieve pucks for him. He hasn't really had linemates who can do that for him this year. Zetterberg? Bertuzzi? Leino? Yeah right. He also gets to be the main puckhandler on that line. Cleary knows that he can dump it in and feel confident that eventually the puck will come back to him as Helm and Eaves forecheck with great speed. As the main puckhandler he has reason to feel confident because he's the guy who controls the puck and make plays with it. It's a completely different dynamic than when he played with Z, Bert, Leino or Fil.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Danny himself even said that his groin isn't completely healed and that it won't be until he nurses it during the off-season.

I don't know if he's skating better himself. I just think Helm and Eaves are better linemates for him because they can really skate and retrieve pucks for him. He hasn't really had linemates who can do that for him this year. Zetterberg? Bertuzzi? Leino? Yeah right. He also gets to be the main puckhandler on that line. Cleary knows that he can dump it in and feel confident that eventually the puck will come back to him as Helm and Eaves forecheck with great speed. As the main puckhandler he has reason to feel confident because he's the guy who controls the puck and make plays with it. It's a completely different dynamic than when he played with Z, Bert, Leino or Fil.

:thumbup:

Cleary is one of the most injury prone Wings. He seems healthy now, but does anyone expect him to remain that way if the Wings make a deep run? I don't. Look at last years playoffs, he got off to a great start, and then slowed down considerably.

Cleary's play makes me very excited about the playoffs. Yotes aren't gonna know what hit them. Lol.

One of my highlights from last years playoff run was going to other teams message boards and reading all the Cleary hate. It was awesome.

Edited by Broken 16

Danny boy is a heart and soul guy. A blue collar lunch pail kinda guy. Teams don't succeed w/o guys like him. You could just as easily see him going to work the assembly line at Ford. He adds some grit to all the skilled euro's. Simply, he is a blue collar guy who endears himself to a town like Detroit.

Danny boy is a heart and soul guy. A blue collar lunch pail kinda guy. Teams don't succeed w/o guys like him. You could just as easily see him going to work the assembly line at Ford. He adds some grit to all the skilled euro's. Simply, he is a blue collar guy who endears himself to a town like Detroit.

Word, Thunderbird.

I distinctly remember reading a lot of hate from Chicago.

Because the management team in Chicago rushed Dano into the NHL when he wasnt ready and he didnt play well and they traded him. Somehow that's his fault and makes him a bad guy. f*** Hawks fans :thumbup:

Danny Cleary promises to step it up

CHRIS MCCOSKY

The Detroit News

Glendale, Ariz. -- Told that coach Mike Babcock had issued a challenge to him and the other third and fourth line forwards to be more physical and put more heat on the Coyotes, Danny Cleary said bluntly, "We get out there, we will."

The Coyotes matched their top line of Matthew Lombardi, Shane Doan and Wojtek Wolski against Cleary, Darren Helm and Patrick Eaves as much as possible in Game 1 with good success.

"Dan Cleary has played really well, but the last game (Game 1) I didn't think he did," Babcock said. "I didn't think his line was very good either. They had a tough match-up. It would be tough for any line. But Cleary is a guy that has to be involved physically, has to play heavy and be involved. For whatever reason, last game didn't go the way he'd like it to."

Babcock switched the third and fourth lines for Game 2, putting Drew Miller with Cleary and Darren Helm, and moving Kris Draper to a line with Justin Adbelkader and Patrick Eaves.

The move worked, but more for Abdelkader's line, which was a plus-2 on the night and delivered seven hits, five by Abdelkader.

Cleary, though he was a minus-2, played a stronger game. He saved a goal in the first period, hustling across the front of the net to deflect away an open-net chance for Wojtek Wolski.

"I feel like our line can play against any line," Cleary said. "I feel we can do good things."

Health, for once, doesn't seem to be an issue. Although Cleary is still taking daily treatment on his sore groin, he said he feels fine physically.

Wearing down?

Veteran defensemen Nick Lidstrom (28) and Brian Rafalski (29) played 57 minutes combined in Game 1. The Coyotes think that could work in their favor over the course of the series.

"With Lidstrom and Rafalski playing 25-plus minutes, you're not putting them through the boards, but you are letting them know you are there and hopefully by the third period it wears on them a little," Ed Jovanovski said.

Is there a possibility of Lidstrom and Rafalski wearing down?

"I don't think we are going to be playing as many minutes as we did in Game 1, but situations dictate," Rafalski said. "There's enough rest between games. We aren't playing back-to-back. Travel has some impact but you have to get your rest when you can. We've been through this many years. We know how to handle it."

Both played 23 minutes in Game 2.

Crease police

The NHL has sent memos to teams warning them that the referees were going to be watching the obstruction in front of the net closely and crease violations will be called.

Well, according to Phoenix coach Dave Tippett , some were called and others weren't in Game 1.

"Both sides were on the crease a little bit," Tippett said. "(Vernon) Fiddler got called for interference on their second goal and (Tomas) Holmstrom's heels were on the crease. It's going to be like that all through the series. I don't think it's going to change. Both teams have a mindset to do that."

Tape to tape

Lidstrom, whose 237 playoff games are third-most in NHL history behind Chris Chelios (266) and Patrick Roy (247): "I've been on quite a few successful teams that have gone deep into the playoffs and had a lot of success over the past 15 years. It's something I am very proud of."

http://detnews.com/article/20100417/SPORTS0103/4170338/1128/sports0103/Danny-Cleary-promises-to-step-it-up