• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Souray asks for trade out of Edmonton

Rate this topic

What about Boston ? i have heard a few tims now they might try and move Thomas no that Raask is there #1 and ive also heard Oilers want to make a deal with the Bruins for that Leafs pick and are willing to move almost anyone on or in that system....

To Oilers: Thomas and Leafs 1st Round

To Bruins: Souray,Cogliano and Eberle(good young forward which the bruins could use i realize they would be passing up on Hall or Seguin, but if Souray can stay healthy he would be a good 2nd pair D for them

There's no way the Bruins would trade that pick but I do think they might be interested in moving Thomas for Souray and something else. You make a good point.

There's no way the Bruins would trade that pick but I do think they might be interested in moving Thomas for Souray and something else. You make a good point.

They would have to get rid of Khabibulin who is signed through 2012-13 (just like Thomas is). Signing/trading for another veteran goalie with many years left in his contract is just what Oilers might actually do.

That's clever... Well, Thomas is both. He's not that valuable to Boston anymore, but he would be very valuable to someone else so they can still ask a high price of him. His numbers are still good this season, even though Rask outplayed him. There are teams that would probably like to have a goalie of his caliber. Imagine him in Washington.

But he's already 36. He won the Vezina last year, but if he'd be traded he would be two years older at the start of the next season. He's skills are declining rapidly. That 5M cap hit is obviously an overpayment as well.

I think he's far from that goalie who won the Vezina.

Oh now he wants out of Edmonton who was the only team who would sign him to that over inflated 5.4 million cap hit, he claimed he was worth. Now that the team has tanked, he wants out. Fortunately for Edmonton Sourays NTC/NMC has officially expired with the end of their season. I wouldn't want him. To injury plagued as of lately.

Oh now he wants out of Edmonton who was the only team who would sign him to that over inflated 5.4 million cap hit, he claimed he was worth. Now that the team has tanked, he wants out. Fortunately for Edmonton Sourays NTC/NMC has officially expired with the end of their season. I wouldn't want him. To injury plagued as of lately.

Did you read the article? There is a little more to it than him just wanting out, and the injuries have something to do with it.

Did you read the article? There is a little more to it than him just wanting out, and the injuries have something to do with it.

I read the article and listened to his interview on xm 204 this afternoon.

Sure he wants a trade. The good news for him is that the Oilers have most of their cap eaten up by a handful of bloated contracts next season and want to make some serious changes.

The bad news? Souray is an aging, one-dimensional, injury prone defenseman who makes 5.4 million a season for two more years.

Who's going to take him at that price? Any team that takes him will want to trade a bloated contract back...

This is what I don't understand. Why don't players realize that by overstating their worth to such a huge degree they are actually hurting their future prospects?

If I were a player and I was after money I'd take short contracts. If I wanted to stay in a team (obviously a successful franchise where I'm happy) I take a reasonable amount for a longer term in case I ever want to be traded it would actually be feasible.

Chirelli or however you spell it has said he might move that pick(Leafs) if the right deal comes along they have been rumored to want to move Ryder and Thomas.

To Oilers: Ryder,Thomas,1st rounder(Leafs)

To Bruins: Souray,Eberle,Penner,Comrie or someone else

Don't forget Bruins have there other pick to i believe its like 13th or something like that, i seen today on TV they were saying the top 15 players in the Prospect rankings are all going to be good picks no matter the order. I realize ya they would be passing up on Seguin or Hall but they do have that other pick and a chance to make your team all around better thoughout the roster with one pick would be hard to pass up, if the rumors are true about the Oilers offering a big package like that.Either Way the Bruins will have alot of options with Thomas,Ryder,Chara ive heard also and the picks they have.

Penner-Savard-Lucic

Eberle-Comrie-Krejci

Sturm-Begin-Recchi

Thornton-Sobotka-Wheeler

Chara-Wideman

Souray-Stuart

Boychuk-Ference

Raask

Sabourin

Edited by king_malice

What about Boston ? i have heard a few tims now they might try and move Thomas no that Raask is there #1 and ive also heard Oilers want to make a deal with the Bruins for that Leafs pick and are willing to move almost anyone on or in that system....

To Oilers: Thomas and Leafs 1st Round

To Bruins: Souray,Cogliano and Eberle(good young forward which the bruins could use i realize they would be passing up on Hall or Seguin, but if Souray can stay healthy he would be a good 2nd pair D for them

Souray isn't worth Thomas, and he isn't worth the Leafs' 1st. Furthermore, the Oil won't trade for Thomas when they already have Khabibulin.

Sorry, this is just a ridiculous trade idea. Maybe if it were Thomas from two seasons ago and the Leafs' 2nd pick, then I could see it.

He hasn't been the same since Andreas Lilja punched him down to the ice last year.

He's a good defenseman who has a great shot, but his health is too much of a risk for anyone, especially since he'll be asking for a big contract like everyone else is doing.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Souray has played in Edmonton for three seasons. Two seasons he's been mostly injured and in 08-09 he scored 23 goals and 53 points in 81 games. He's not too horrible.

Souray is a second-pairing level defenseman. Even considering his big 81 game, 26-goal, 64 point season in 2006-07 and his 81 game, 24 goal, 54 point year in 2008-09, think about this:

Souray is an offensive defenseman who plays extremely poor defense. That makes sense, looking at the past couple seasons, right?

Let's project his career numbers down to that 81 games his two career years came in, shall we?

81 games, 12 goals, 33 points.

Not very impressive for a offensive defenseman who is a defensive liability and makes over $5m.

But to further the discussion, let's take a look at something. How has Souray performed outside of those two seasons?

Well, his average career stats are:

81 games, 8 goals, 24 points.

And his third best season is (offensively):

2003-04 Montreal

63 games, 15 goals, 35 points. (works to 81 games, 19 goals, 45 points)

So really, over his career, Souray is not a 50-point defenseman and he is a defensive liability. By comparison, Brian Rafalski, while not great, has always been a solid defensive defenseman. He has also been a 40+ point scorer every season of his career except two, one being his rookie year and the other being a season he missed 13 games and still scored 36 points (pace for 40+) and Rafalski has scored 50 points 4 times and 49 one other, and has been on pace for 50+ one more.

LGW has clamored to dump Rafalski, yet in this thread, many of those same members are saying they wouldn't mind having Souray, who costs nearly as much and isn't even close to as good?

A better comparison;

Brad Stuart, who is very solid defensively, averages about 7 goals and 29 points every 81 games, comparable to what Souray has done aside from his two seasons that are well outside the standard deviation. Considering Souray would probably be taking Stuart's place with the Wings, would you swap Stuart for Souray?

I wouldn't. Stuart is better and cheaper.

From Sportsnet :

If Sheldon Souray truly wants out of Edmonton, head coach Pat Quinn will point him to the door.

Quinn responded to Souray's recent trade request with some terse words on Tuesday, pulling no punches in how he thinks Souray should proceed.

"If you don't want to play here, don't screw around. Get the hell out."