• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CupChamps979802

Snakes

Rate this topic

All those wannabes in other cities need to realize you can't just make up a tradition because you'er bored, it takes time and has to stand for something.

Exactly. And what's worse is that they just simply copy ours. Their "tradition" doesn't even mean anything, they just think we throw dead animals so they should too.

Sometimes ideas or concepts, take something that somebody originally had, and put your own spin on it or try to make it work a bit differently. Happens in business and work all the time. It's better than them doing nothing and it's not worth getting feelings hurt that they might do this.

I might be more receptive if they were playing someone else and still planning something. But you know if they were playing the Kings or Preds, the idea never would have been born.

It's blatant immitation predicated entirely on the fact that we already do it. It borders on mockery.

Well I really don't see why everyone is all upset about this, because don't they say something like, "Imitation is the highest degree of flattery," or something like that? They want to be like us! It is like your little brother wanting to go hang out with you and your friends. I say we let em flatter us, and try to run with the big dogs.

Just my two cents.

I might be more receptive if they were playing someone else and still planning something. But you know if they were playing the Kings or Preds, the idea never would have been born.

It's blatant immitation predicated entirely on the fact that we already do it. It borders on mockery.

Only people that are really going to give a hoot about it are maybe 153 die hard Red Wing fans in North America. It's not going to matter much in the grand scheme of things. I'd look at it, as pointed out earlier by another poster, as a sign of respect. Using something the Red Wings fans usually do as an example of a cool fan tradition, instead of approaching like "The big mean Coyote fans are stupid and copying us". If it catches on in the future regardless if they play the Wings are not, more power to them. If it doesn't, then hopefully they'll think of something else.

EDIT: This is something though that Coyote fans are not used to since the franchise relocated from Winnipeg. They haven't experienced postseason play all that much, and the few times they have it's been a quick exit. As tempting as it is to mock them and say they are stupid for mimicing a Red Wings tradition or whatever, this is almost brand new stuff to a lot of these people, espeically the ones that have just caught onto the Coyotes this year as a result of them probably putting their best product on the ice since they relocated. Give them some slack (not you specifically, but people/Wings fans in general).

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

If they had any clue what the octopus toss originally stood for, perhaps they'd change their minds about using an animal that looks like a one. I don't even want them to win that many, but hey, if tossing a snake gets them their one playoff victory and a bunch of their fans kicked out of the arena Wednesday, well I guess they've proved their point.

+1

I will take this as a form of flattery. I don't think Samuel L. Jackson would care for it though but if they are willing to toss them on the ice I'd be willing to concede 1 game to them.

Edited by softshoes

Honestly it doesn't sound like mockery to me at all.

Yes, it's derivative. But as others have said, imitation, flattery, etc.

They're in the playoffs for the first time in eight years, back when people there probably didn't even know there was a hockey team in Phoenix. It's hard for me to get offended for fans trying to be excited about it, even if it's ripping off a Wings tradition. Like it or not, hockey is there. If it gets more popular in phoenix, it's better for the NHL.

They get made fun of for not having fans, now people are offended for the fans trying to be excited for the playoffs? What exactly can they do that's acceptable to us Wings fans?

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

My problem with this is that there is no reason for the snake. It has no meaning. All they are doing is mimicking Red Wings' tradition. The octopus signified the amount of wins we needed for the cup. What will the snake signify?

My problem with this is that there is no reason for the snake. It has no meaning. All they are doing is mimicking Red Wings' tradition. The octopus signified the amount of wins we needed for the cup. What will the snake signify?

gary bettman?

Okay, two things:

(1) Franchises should evolve in this order: Local ownership --> Strong Performance on Ice --> Traditional of Excellence created through years of playoff success --> Traditions and rituals associated with long-term success. Phoenix, you are owned by the NHL. Fail on Step 1. The only guy who even wanted to buy your franchise was only going to do so on the condition he could immediately move it 2,000+ miles away from Jobing Arena to Hamilton. Evaluate where you are before you get too attached to new "traditions"

(2) It's bad enough to copy a Red Wings tradition--it's even worse when you have to copy a FLORIDA PANTHERS one-year tradition that was so obnoxious the league made specific rules against it. There's a reason the league is willing to "tolerate" a real octopus occasionally thrown onto the ice now and then....12,000 people are not going to attempt to keep a wet, slimy octopus down their pants for 2/3 of a hockey game. However, if your "tradition" is to throw plastic snakes or rats that you could just keep in your pocket, then yes, 12,000 people might try to do that, and it would be extremely freakin' ANNOYING and disruptive to the game itself.

Not a "tradition" so much...just being a dick.

If they had any clue what the octopus toss originally stood for, perhaps they'd change their minds about using an animal that looks like a one. I don't even want them to win that many, but hey, if tossing a snake gets them their one playoff victory and a bunch of their fans kicked out of the arena Wednesday, well I guess they've proved their point.

maybe the significance for the coyotes throwing a snake is a metaphor for their 1st round exit.

Don't know why people think the snake signifies a one. It has zero legs.

Anyway, harold's right. Imitation, flattery, etc: you know we have the original, what more do you need? Even if the Yotes stay in Phoenix, this'll just be forgotten about, and the octopus will live on.