• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

A guess, not a prediction.

Rate this topic

From Toronto Star :

So who's going to win the Cup?

Here we go, but be advised, this is no prediction. It's a, well, a guess. Something you can stare at and try to decipher just like those odd, funny looking words they make you type in a square before you order opera tickets on-line.

So the best guess from this guesser's corner is — ta dum! — the Detroit Red Wings

But the case on behalf of the Wings rests not on the belief that they are much better than anyone else.

It's that they are the one team without an obvious, significant vulnerability.

The only weakness I've seen in our play since the Olympic Break has been a continued trend of bad turnovers in the defensive zone. We don't always pay the price for them, and Jimmy bails us out quite a bit (remember that Chicago game the other night), but we need to play a little closer to mistake free hockey in the defensive zone.

Fundamentals - no cutsie, no look passes. Get the puck in the neutral zone first. Pass to the guy with speed and generate a strong presence around Bryzgalov.

It will be a great run - I know I've got my beard going since we clinched...

We need to play like we are the 5th seed Red Wings with something to prove.

Is there really a difference between a guess and a prediction in this regard?

If he calls it a guess, then he can say "what it was only a guess!" if he is proven wrong haha.

Lucky he won't be ;)

Guest mindfly

He was the only one who had detroit in the top5 contenders among all the "big" reporters...

TSN's Scott Cullen also believes in Detroit: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=317808

Final: Detroit over Washington

The Capitals have been the league's best team for a good portion of the season and I'm inclined to pick them but, strangely enough, I'm less confident in their goaltending than I am in Detroit's with rookie Jimmy Howard.

Guest mindfly

Scott Cullen only base it on statistics and power rankings and s*** though?

I haven't been reading around lately, are all the hockey pundits still calling for Pittsburgh or Chicago to win it all?

It seems like this year the Cup is up in the air more than usual. Like the guy wrote, the Wings don't have an obvious weakness, but other teams do and it seems like it's anyone's Cup this year more than usual.

Though I have a really good feeling the Wings have gotten on the right track and are playing like they did in '08. I see the energy and passion that was lacking last season.

weakness is bad turnovers in the defensive end...

also, the wings need to have that special extra something...if Miller, Bertuzzi and a couple youngin's pick up the slack, then they have a chance...I do not see them getting past the third round - although they are starting to play very well and are finally healthy!

I am not saying they can't - I hope they can!

Well - yeah he's been a leading crusader to remove fighting from the game for which I can't stand, but he does have insight in other areas of the game.

he also wants to remove hitting, there was an article a few weeks ago with him bitching about hits

Guest mindfly

Kypreos on Sportsnet also picked the Wings over the Pens...i think it was the Pens but Wings for sure.

Also TSN is doing their hockey predictions tonight and i bet ANYTHING that McKenzie will have the Wings winning the Cup cuz he picked them in the pre-season.

I agree on that one