• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shaman

Pick an upset and defend it

Rate this topic

Ok, this is one of my favorite parts of the playoffs... trying to figure out which team is going to get bounced from the playoffs. So A simple question: Who will upset who, and why?

My pick:

Nashville.

Why? Because Nashville has a great defense, a top tier goaltender, and I see these being low scoring affairs, if Rinne can steal 2 games, Nashville will win. Chicago's defense outside their first pairing is still suspect, Nemi, while a decent goaltender has never really had to steal any games for chicago this year, and we all know a goalie has to elevate their game for the playoffs. Besides, how many times can one team be bounced in round one?

Edited by Shaman464

Guest mindfly

Boston will take Buffalo

Why: Because Rask is great and they play a great team defense, they won't allow many goals.

Boston will take Buffalo

Why: Because Rask is great and they play a great team defense, they won't allow many goals.

Ya, but Miller is better and I personally think Buffalo has a better offense and home ice advantage. That said, this thread isn't to criticize, but I feel Philly and LA are more probable upsets. Philly has owned NJ all year and for LA, great all around team that's facing a Canuck team expected to deliver and Luongo has not been good at all since winning Gold for Team Canada.

I agree completely about Nashville.

Other potential upsets I see are with LA and Colorado. We all know that San Jose is vulnerable in the playoffs, and towards the end of the season I didn't see any major push or spark. They have yet to prove that they want it badly enough. Colorado, when playing their best, can score timely goals and control the pace of games.

Vancouver can be shaky at times and I think LA matches up decently against them. Quick would have to be huge, and their best players would really have to score a lot of goals, but I think its possible.

If I had to choose one, I'd have to agree with the OP, Nashville has what it takes to beat Chicago. In the past few weeks, the excitement in Chicago wore off a little due to them slumping for a while, the hilarious Teows mural, and losing to the Wings. They have some people injured/questionable, and their goaltending has been worse recently than any other time in the season.

Guest mindfly

No one believes that Nashville can upset Hawks unless they are wings fan and witnessed the battles they had with nashville all year..but hawks have owned preds as far as i know and don't seem to have as big of a problem with them as the wings have...

No one believes that Nashville can upset Hawks unless they are wings fan and witnessed the battles they had with nashville all year..but hawks have owned preds as far as i know and don't seem to have as big of a problem with them as the wings have...

Doug Maclean from Hockey Central at Noon on the Fan 590 here in Toronto picked the Preds to upset the Hawks in 7. Next please.

edit: spelling

Edited by BleedRed&White

Yeah I'm taking the Preds too.

Detroit wouldn't even be considered an upset.

Habs suck.

Ottawa is good but not good enough to beat Pittsburgh.

Boston and Buffalo may be close but Buffalo has the edge. One may argue Rask is amazing but Miller is better IMO.

Philly and New Jersey will be close too, but New Jersey has the edge in goal.

San Jose will choke eventually, but it'll be against a playoff performer like Detroit, or a good team like the Preds. Colorado isn't good enough in the playoffs, and they weren't even good enough in the regular season... they just had a fantastic start.

LA-Vancouver will be a close one, its too tough to call.

Preds have better goaltending, better defense, but their offense doesn't compare. However, I think they can do it.

I'm picking LA over Canucks in 7.

Because I think Luongo has a tendency to be spotty in big games. Just look at the gold medal game, and all the bad rebounds he allowed.

This. Same reasons, I watched the whole Olympics and never felt like Luongo would be stealing a game anywhere, and imo he never really did.

I don't necessarily believe it will happen, but i'm picking:

Colorado over San Jose.

Why?

3 reasons: 1 - Joe Thornton is a playoff no-show. Granted Dany Heatley might help turn that around, he still may be. 2 - is Nabokov. He did horrible in the Olympics, and he's looked tired and worn-out nearly all season. If he doesn't play VERY well, they won't have a chance against 3 - Colorado's youth. Yeah yeah, experience is everything in the playoffs, but San Jose hasn't been past the 2nd round in forever and I think the kiddies of Colorado could surprise em. I don't think the Sharks will make an underestimation like they did last year, but I still think that the youth could prevail in this one.

Phoenix will beat Detr.... :ph34r:

As the poster said above, though, Philly has beaten Jersey 5 out of 6 times this season.

Also, Brodeur has been subpar in the playoffs since the lockout. I don't think they've even made the Conference Finals since their last Cup.

Ok, this is one of my favorite parts of the playoffs... trying to figure out which team is going to get bounced from the playoffs. So A simple question: Who will upset who, and why?

My pick:

Nashville.

Why? Because Nashville has a great defense, a top tier goaltender, and I see these being low scoring affairs, if Rinne can steal 2 games, Nashville will win. Chicago's defense outside their first pairing is still suspect, Nemi, while a decent goaltender has never really had to steal any games for chicago this year, and we all know a goalie has to elevate their game for the playoffs. Besides, how many times can one team be bounced in round one?

I totally agree, Nashville is a scary team and they are due for a playoff series win.

I have the Kings beating the Canucks in 6... Luongo has been shaky lately, including the olympics... Also, their D is pretty thin now, most notably with the absence of Mitchell... That just ads to my gut feeling that they will be taken down Kopitar, Daughty, and Quick.

We all know San Jose's history, but no way are they bowing out to a team like the Avs in the first round. Kings could beat the Canucks if Luongo struggles at all and the Kings' defence can contain the Sedins, Kessler, and Burrows.

But I'm picking Flyers over the Devils for reasons that GMR stated, and I don't think it will even be close. Devils will have flashbacks to the 2008 series against the Rags.

Guest Lidstromboli

I don't necessarily believe it will happen, but i'm picking:

Colorado over San Jose.

Why?

3 reasons: 1 - Joe Thornton is a playoff no-show. Granted Dany Heatley might help turn that around, he still may be. 2 - is Nabokov. He did horrible in the Olympics, and he's looked tired and worn-out nearly all season. If he doesn't play VERY well, they won't have a chance against 3 - Colorado's youth. Yeah yeah, experience is everything in the playoffs, but San Jose hasn't been past the 2nd round in forever and I think the kiddies of Colorado could surprise em. I don't think the Sharks will make an underestimation like they did last year, but I still think that the youth could prevail in this one.

what about Colorado's awful defensive play?

what about Colorado's awful defensive play?

I think the X factor in this series would be Anderson, hes stands on his head, it could mean a long golf season in San Jose again.

Besides the Wings (we are technically the lower seed) in the West all I can really see happening is the Preds over the Hawks in 7. I think this series could go either way, but this is the most likely upset because Nashville has the advantage in goal and their defense is great. In the East I can see Bruins over Sabres in 6 because the Bruins are something like 4-2-0 against the Sabres this year.