• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
55fan

Official Playoff Bracelet Thread

Rate this topic

Friends, the time is at hand.

Our boys will be taking the ice to continue to amaze us and it is our duty and honour to support them in their Quest.

For those of you who are not familiar with the bracelet tradition, let me explain and extend to you a welcoming hand into our fold.

Since the 80's, hockey players have grown beards during the playoffs. Male (and hirsute female) fans have followed suit.

In the spring of '08, a member of LGW asked, "What can those of us who can't grow beards do to show support for our beloved Wings?"

Many people expressed interest- women, men who couldn't or weren't allowed to grow beards, even those who could grow a humdinger of a beard- and we all put our minds together.

Someone suggested bracelets, and the tradition was born.

The rules are simple: Red for a win; white for a loss.

Beyond that, you are on your own. Decorate them with beads, crystals- whatever suits your fancy.

Keep them on until the Wings are eliminated or until the Parade down Woodward.

The question did arise as to what should be done about discoloured or smelly bracelets. Is it acceptable to repair and/or replace them? Some said no; some said yes. I personally think that it is ok to do this as long as no one sees you without them.

Most men have been supportive, but there are always the few nay-sayers. To them I say, "Nay!"

This is not to replace the beard tradition. This is to support, encourage, and complement it. (Note: complement, not compliment, although if you see a great beard, feel free to compliment it.)

We are in this together. Let's Go Wings!!!!!

Here's mine from last year after the second round:

braceletr2.jpg

Edited by 55fan

I'm in, I'm in!! Already have my red one made for tonights game - I always make a red one the day before the game and hang it on a particular place ready to put it on immediately after a win. (I never make a white one in advance; bad hockey karma). Heres the last pic I took last year - never put the final white one on. ugh

th_052409_18071.jpg

ok. I am a guy coming in peace. I grew a beard last year and it failed. And my girlfriend has pretty much said if I try it again I will be left single.

I might try this as a new alternative. Do you just get red string (embroidery floss) or do you braid it or something? I wouldn't be good at that.

ok. I am a guy coming in peace. I grew a beard last year and it failed. And my girlfriend has pretty much said if I try it again I will be left single.

I might try this as a new alternative. Do you just get red string (embroidery floss) or do you braid it or something? I wouldn't be good at that.

Yeah they are awfully thin so you do need to braid them or they would break for sure. Braiding isn't hard, c'mon! (or you could look for something thicker like yarn maybe?)

I'm getting mine ready as we speak :) I've also got my necklace that I've been wearing all season. I switch up the letters on it when we start slumping. Right now it's got ♥Hank♥Eurotwins♥Pav♥

If we start to skid, I plan on changing it to Hockeytown♥No Limits

I have no spacer beads that aren't hearts xD

Edited to add: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=12437856276 Check out the Facebook page for the Alternative Playoff Beard :)

Edited by Krystal

The question did arise as to what should be done about discoloured or smelly bracelets. Is it acceptable to repair and/or replace them? Some said no; some said yes. I personally think that it is ok to do this as long as no one sees you without them.

I've never had a problem with them getting discolored or smelly....hmmm!

I braid mine, its not too difficult. Ask your girlfriend to help you, since she wont let you go to town with the beard :P you could go without braiding, I know there are some who do

Welcome Guy! We are open to anyone.

I don't braid mine, but I have had some breakage problems in the past. Of course, after a few games they get so tangled that it doesn't matter.

Let's get some RED on!

I really hoped that you guys would have finally done the bracelets on their own this year. Its cool enough. It has enough clout. I don't get the insistence on riding along on the coat-tails of beards. Its not the same at all. Bracelets may even be cooler.

Here's to hoping next year, the bracelets are sported with the pride they deserve, but for now I'll just go back to having an itchy face for God knows what reason...

I hate giving relationship advice even more than I hate giving life advice, but there are just some things that need to be said.

1. There is no such thing as a failed playoff beard (see Sidney Crosby), there are beards that are gone before their prime, but no playoff beard fails.

2. There is no alternative to a beard, you either have one or you don't. (Bracelets are great they support the team, and they're fun (notice I'm not saying cute or going that direction, I never have and never will) and I'm all for them.)

Now the real advice

3. Men and women do millions of super silly things, and are often dumbfounded by the things their partners do in relationships. You need to take advantage of the opportunities these silly things create. It gives you the chance to practice resolving conflict when its not really a big deal. Your gf isn't supposed to like the silly things you do (like growing a beard) but if you actually don't grow one because of her you might as well break up with her tomorrow, because that isn't a real relationship or you don't have the maturity for one...

GO WINGS!

I really hoped that you guys would have finally done the bracelets on their own this year. Its cool enough. It has enough clout. I don't get the insistence on riding along on the coat-tails of beards. Its not the same at all. Bracelets may even be cooler.

Here's to hoping next year, the bracelets are sported with the pride they deserve, but for now I'll just go back to having an itchy face for God knows what reason...

Cool enough. Basically the only reason that bracelets and beards are linked is that they are both playoff traditions. Just giving credit where it is due to the beards for being first.

Kind of like putting a dead tree in your living room and eating candy out of your socks. They have nothing to do with each other, but they're both things that you can only get away with in December.

Good luck with the beard. May it grow for many weeks.

What do you mean "on their own?" I'm pretty sure we did do them on their own.

Please don't be that guy. You know what I mean.

What do you mean "on their own?" I'm pretty sure we did do them on their own.

Please don't be that guy. You know what I mean.

My bad. I mentioned beards in the OP. At least I didn't use the word "alternative" in the title. That attracts "those guys" more than anything.

So we have bracelets. Let's rock them!

Go Wings!!!

As always, your bracelets are an impeccable work of craftsmanship. I envy your mad skillz :cool:

Laurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrren!! Thank You :D

BTW, they showed clips from the go-kart Red Wings Live, and I am pretty sure I saw your legs :P