• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Bench Williams Thread // Merged

Rate this topic

I don't know if May's the answer but something needs to be done about the 4th line. Miller showed a little energy and that was it. We need that line out there pounding bodies, especially after Doan is running around trying to take everyone's head off and keeping the crowd very into the game. At this point I would love to see Abby or May in over Williams and/or Draper just to cause a spark.

Before I even read your post I was going to say, easy answer...because we got manhandled. Williams needs to sit.

Agreed, PK also killed us yesterday. Howard played good for his first game, he will be much tougher next game.

Williams is playing himself out of a job. My God he never looks like he cares.

Williams played himself off the team in 2006, in my view. In that series against the Oilers when the Wings were upset in the first round, he skated around without a clue pretty much every game, and his stupid penalty and blown defensive coverage in the third period of the final game essentially handed the series to Edmonton. His remaining tenure with the organization should be spent in the pressbox, period.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I just realized the truth. Williams is actually Babcock's son. It all makes sense now. Come on Babs. Tough love is needed. Bench your boy! Put Abs in!

Please settle me down here, I know it was a ghost but I could have sworn I saw Abdlekader sitting on the bench last night. Its probably as I was watching it at 5am here in good ol' England but hey.

Eyes definitely playing tricks on you... wishful thinking?

Abs led the team in hits while he was here and can actually score...

last time I've seen Abs playing he had nothing to offer offensively. But I still prefer Abs rather than Drapes in our lineup. My suggestion is to sit Drapes and dress Abs. Then, allow Williams to center our third line. He is still much more creative with the puck than Helm. This would give us more or less offensively minded third line while out fourth line would still be very fast and hard checking...

Cleary - Williams - Eaves

Abdelkader - Helm - Miller

He wants it more. Williams seems like he wanted to return, coast to the finals, and collect his ring. Abs is

willing to muck it up in the corners and skate faster than Christopher Reeve if that means getting a spot on the roster.

Abs is a better upgrade then Williams 100%. We need him in the lineup specially against a big and fast team like Phoenix.

To be honest with you guys I was really surprised with the speed and grinding style of hockey that Phoenix was playing yesterday night. They played harder then the Wings and won.

Dats, Lids & Zetts we're very good, rest of the team looked like they we're a step slow.

He sucks, but blaming a 4th liner for the loss and for a game where our penalty killing sucked is rather unusual.

Then again, around here it isn't so unusual. :P

This is true, Williams was a pile of garbage his first time around and he is still the same pile of garbage this time around. I am all for removing him from the equation and adding Abdelkader. However, We didn't lose because of Williams it was a combo of a weak PK and Brygalov that stopped us from winning.

Draper was a non-factor and played barely ANY minutes and the Coyotes literally man-handled us ALL game - Abs led the team in hits while he was here and can actually score...

My idea -

3rd line A(3rd):

Cleary-Miller-Eaves

3rd line B(4th):

Abdelkader-Helm-May

Let the 3rd line try to exploit their 3rd line and actually try to get a couple goals... put the 4th line out there with one message - ENERGY and drive anything and everything in the other sweater THROUGH THE BOARDS... maybe even send May out there with one task and one task only, run Jovo ANY CHANCE YOU GET - he can be coaxed to drop the gloves when frustrated and we get him off the ice for 5 minutes in exchange for May...

in my mind, Abs and May is an upgrade from Draper and Williams at this point with what we need in this series and what they bring to the table...

I'm with you! ...Plus, They need to address the horrible special teams also to get things solved.

Edited by The Secret

I'm with you! ...Plus, They need to address the horrible special teams also to get things solved.

Well, special teams was awful and that does need to be solved as well, but that doesn't have much to do with Abs... however, if we had scored the 2-3 goals we should have on even strength, instead of being back on our heels, it wouldn't have mattered and that's where he helps - not necessarily with the goals themselves, but with separation and wearing Phx down to ALLOW for those even strength goals...

I like Abs, but I don't think he's going to be the difference maker some think he will at this point. He's still young. He's had some clutch moments, but he still needs to develop to be relied on consistently. I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to see him put in for Draper now and again if Draper doesn't play better, but I'm not going to expect much from him should it happen, and I can already envision a multitude of "Abdelkader sucks!!!" threads creeping up. He's a few "average" games away from Ville Leino status on LGW's, because that's just how it goes around here...

Did anyone notice when the tv cameera panned over the Wings bench in the 3rd...ALL of the Wings were (or at least appeared) to be engaged in the game, talking to teammates, leaning over the boards what looked like encouraging the guys on the ice...EXCEPT for Willy. He was just sitting there staring off into space...my wife (who isn't a huge follower of hockey) even commented that he looked emotionless and out of place.

Sad to say this cause I really wanted Willy to work out coming back to us again, but he more and more reminds me of a young Robert Lang. Floating around looking for the one-timeer, no forecheck, no battling, shy's away from being physical....I mean come on!! BTW...where is his "deadly" shot (that's what Murph coined it at the beginning of the year).... when he does get a chance 2 out of 3 times he misses the net? I don't get it? Bring in the Alligator.

One last note, can someone punch Shane Doan in the face just once. Bert? Franzy? I'm fully aware this is our style of play, and our passiveness usually becomes a huge advantage for us in drawing penalties and mounting frustration...but he was owning people last night. Jeez, at least Malts would give him a few face washes or stick to the face.