• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#61 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

Abs led the team in hits while he was here and can actually score...

last time I've seen Abs playing he had nothing to offer offensively. But I still prefer Abs rather than Drapes in our lineup. My suggestion is to sit Drapes and dress Abs. Then, allow Williams to center our third line. He is still much more creative with the puck than Helm. This would give us more or less offensively minded third line while out fourth line would still be very fast and hard checking...
Cleary - Williams - Eaves
Abdelkader - Helm - Miller
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#62 mtuhockey7

mtuhockey7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

He wants it more. Williams seems like he wanted to return, coast to the finals, and collect his ring. Abs is
willing to muck it up in the corners and skate faster than Christopher Reeve if that means getting a spot on the roster.

#63 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:02 AM

Abs is willing to muck it up in the corners and skate faster than Christopher Reeve if that means getting a spot on the roster.

Huh? Posted Image

Edited by Wings_Dynasty, 15 April 2010 - 08:03 AM.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy. (Jordin Tootoo, wish granted)

#64 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:05 AM

Huh? Posted Image

I think (hope) he meant superman... as Christopher Reeve spent the latter years of his life in a wheelchair and is no longer alive...
:blink:

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#65 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:26 AM

Abs is a better upgrade then Williams 100%. We need him in the lineup specially against a big and fast team like Phoenix.

To be honest with you guys I was really surprised with the speed and grinding style of hockey that Phoenix was playing yesterday night. They played harder then the Wings and won.

Dats, Lids & Zetts we're very good, rest of the team looked like they we're a step slow.

#66 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:29 AM

It'd be nice just to have someone in the lineup who isn't afraid to hit Doan.

#67 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:37 AM

He sucks, but blaming a 4th liner for the loss and for a game where our penalty killing sucked is rather unusual.

Then again, around here it isn't so unusual. :P

This is true, Williams was a pile of garbage his first time around and he is still the same pile of garbage this time around. I am all for removing him from the equation and adding Abdelkader. However, We didn't lose because of Williams it was a combo of a weak PK and Brygalov that stopped us from winning.

#68 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

It'd be nice just to have someone in the lineup who isn't afraid to hit Doan.

Someone who isn't afraid to hit anyone and actually has some size and speed to make the hits count... he's absolutely gotta play Friday...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#69 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

Draper was a non-factor and played barely ANY minutes and the Coyotes literally man-handled us ALL game - Abs led the team in hits while he was here and can actually score...

My idea -
3rd line A(3rd):
Cleary-Miller-Eaves

3rd line B(4th):
Abdelkader-Helm-May

Let the 3rd line try to exploit their 3rd line and actually try to get a couple goals... put the 4th line out there with one message - ENERGY and drive anything and everything in the other sweater THROUGH THE BOARDS... maybe even send May out there with one task and one task only, run Jovo ANY CHANCE YOU GET - he can be coaxed to drop the gloves when frustrated and we get him off the ice for 5 minutes in exchange for May...

in my mind, Abs and May is an upgrade from Draper and Williams at this point with what we need in this series and what they bring to the table...

I'm with you! ...Plus, They need to address the horrible special teams also to get things solved.

Edited by The Secret, 15 April 2010 - 09:07 AM.

#70 DatsMyWings13

DatsMyWings13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:19 AM

I'd like to see him suit up.

#71 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

I'm with you! ...Plus, They need to address the horrible special teams also to get things solved.

Well, special teams was awful and that does need to be solved as well, but that doesn't have much to do with Abs... however, if we had scored the 2-3 goals we should have on even strength, instead of being back on our heels, it wouldn't have mattered and that's where he helps - not necessarily with the goals themselves, but with separation and wearing Phx down to ALLOW for those even strength goals...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#72 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

I like Abs, but I don't think he's going to be the difference maker some think he will at this point. He's still young. He's had some clutch moments, but he still needs to develop to be relied on consistently. I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to see him put in for Draper now and again if Draper doesn't play better, but I'm not going to expect much from him should it happen, and I can already envision a multitude of "Abdelkader sucks!!!" threads creeping up. He's a few "average" games away from Ville Leino status on LGW's, because that's just how it goes around here...
-Elliot...does not panic.

#73 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:33 AM

Reason 1#

Williams sucks.

/debate

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#74 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

Reason 1#

Williams sucks.

/debate

well played.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#75 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

Did anyone notice when the tv cameera panned over the Wings bench in the 3rd...ALL of the Wings were (or at least appeared) to be engaged in the game, talking to teammates, leaning over the boards what looked like encouraging the guys on the ice...EXCEPT for Willy. He was just sitting there staring off into space...my wife (who isn't a huge follower of hockey) even commented that he looked emotionless and out of place.
Sad to say this cause I really wanted Willy to work out coming back to us again, but he more and more reminds me of a young Robert Lang. Floating around looking for the one-timeer, no forecheck, no battling, shy's away from being physical....I mean come on!! BTW...where is his "deadly" shot (that's what Murph coined it at the beginning of the year).... when he does get a chance 2 out of 3 times he misses the net? I don't get it? Bring in the Alligator.

One last note, can someone punch Shane Doan in the face just once. Bert? Franzy? I'm fully aware this is our style of play, and our passiveness usually becomes a huge advantage for us in drawing penalties and mounting frustration...but he was owning people last night. Jeez, at least Malts would give him a few face washes or stick to the face.
ENJOY THE RIDE

#76 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

Watching Williams out there (along with many others) was excruciating. Williams looks afraid to go into the corners and get dirty. He does not fit at all with draper/miller. The gator would accomadate them much more nicely. Also, as for williams on the pp, I feel like he is a short handed goal waiting to happen. Please babcock, get him out of there.

That is the correct word to describe what one feels watching Williams through the tube.

Williams has been just plain useless since he came back from his injury. He doesn't add anything to the team, he doesn't make plays. He should NOT be on the PP - but Babcock has this history of placing odd people out there on the PPs... Willy is also surely gone next year - he was a one year fill in.

However, in no way is Williams going to make or break the Wings PO run. When the team plays poorly like last night, it is easy to single out a struggling 4th liner, but I would ask where were all the top line guys?? Hard to spot them last night out there on the ice.

I would advocate for putting in Abdelkader for a number of reasons: he was good in the POs last year, he provides energy, and even if it doesn't work out he is an upgrade over Willy and why not take the gamble - the odds of payoff on this are pretty good.
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#77 58Miles2Joe

58Miles2Joe

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I believe in the end its a simple, simple game; no different than my two youngest fightin in the living room; you draw a line in the sand, and you decide who wants the ball more. And that's what hockey's about. - Babblecock

#78 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

unlikely that he would be put into the lineup but not impossible. however i would say its pretty likely abby will be put into the lineup he had alot of fights in gr, strong on the forecheck, and plays the body like no other however if there is an injury may be put in then we have may and abdelkader in, and i will get a chubby (no homo)

#79 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

surely there were better 1.5 mil plugs than Williams out there :huh:

Posted Image

#80 GunnarStahl

GunnarStahl

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

Everyone on the team should have taken lessons from Helm. That guy puts in the effort, and it shows. He always finishes his checks and hustles to the puck.

Putting in Abdelkader would be excellent for the team