• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BlakKy

Lidstrom hi-stick incident

Rate this topic

With YouTube around these days it's easy to see a mistake by refs. I gotta think that it's only a matter of time until too many people lose faith in professional sports if we kept seeing the ignorance and incompetence.

The refs told Lidstrom they thought it was Filppula's stick. Lidstrom said Filppula wasn't even close. Lidstrom said "They would have been better off telling me they missed it."

Obviously someone is lying..... and it AIN'T Lidstrom!!!!!

I'm sorry, but this is a crock of sh!t.

It most likely would have been a game changing play. 1:20 of 5 on 3 plus 2:40 of additional 5 on 4.

And Shane Doan clearly obstructed Helm on the game winning goal..... If they were suppose to be calling things close how the hell do you miss those two plays?????

Add Marc Joanie to the list of cronies!

You will just absolutely want to puke when you see the replay of it. And the linesman was standing there looking right at it.

Missed Lidstrom double minor

Edited by Icesurfer

If they were suppose to be calling things close how the hell do you miss those two plays?????

Because they always seem to be catching things out of the corner of their eye, and they are too busy getting their quota of meaningless hooks and holds in.

To be honest with you this series should of been easier then I thought. Pheonix played very hard at the body and we're faster then I had expected.

All tho I do think the Wings can take the series the only problem is I don't think their going too.

You can never go against your BOSS and win, come on let's be realistic.

Anaheim ---> Financially going bad = SCF 2003

Calgary ---> Financially going Terrible = SCF 2004

Edmonton ---> Financially going bad = SCF 2005

Penguins ---> Financially bad + Crosby = 2 time SCF + Cup

Phoenix ---> Bankrupt + about to be moved ... now NHL owns his team = ???

Hope someone quotes my ass wrong and the Wings win.

I know talent wise, team wise we can beat the 'Yotes but business wise I just don't see it happening.

*Might have the dates wrong.

Edited by KrazyGangsta

The refs are lying through their teeth if they're trying to claim that they thought it was Flip's stick. The puck was closer to Lids than Flip was. A PP like that could have been a game changer, but I guess we can't have that for the Bettman Coyotes.

To be honest with you this series should of been easier then I thought. Pheonix played very hard at the body and we're faster then I had expected.

All tho I do think the Wings can take the series the only problem is I don't think their going too.

You can never go against your BOSS and win, come on let's be realistic.

Anaheim ---> Financially going bad = SCF 2003

Calgary ---> Financially going Terrible = SCF 2004

Edmonton ---> Financially going bad = SCF 2005

Penguins ---> Financially bad + Crosby = 2 time SCF + Cup

Phoenix ---> Bankrupt + about to be moved ... now NHL owns his team = ???

Hope someone quotes my ass wrong and the Wings win.

I know talent wise, team wise we can beat the 'Yotes but business wise I just don't see it happening.

*Might have the dates wrong.

Yeah the Red Wings should win the cup every year, I agree.

I captured it and put it up on youtube.

Filpulla was in the area... but his stick is not 10 ft long...

I think Lidstrom sounds pissed right now, I'm very curious to see what happens in Game 2. If Lids isn't happy, the Wings are probably going to be even stronger... scary stuff.

Ya I'd like to see the refs swallow the whistles period. Then they miss obvious stuff like that. Then the winning goal Doan clearly interfered with Helm gave a wide open shot to Morris. Now thats not the reason we lost but did it play its part YA!!!!!!

just bull, makes me sick even now watching that. you HAVE TO KNOW that they no called it because we would have had 5on3 for like 1.5min and then 5on4 for more than 2 min after. they didnt want that late in the game, detroit would have had opportunities to score twice on the pp. just bulls***. i agree, put the whistles away if you cant call that, cause if thats not a penalty, nothing else is. its ******* lids for god sakes, protect him.

Terrible game changing non-call, but doesn't surprise me one bit. A few things I don't understand:

Why was the play whistled dead? The wings has just carried the puck into the zone with numbers and the play is whistled dead but there is no penalty?

I thought this was one of the instances where the refs could come together with the linesmen and make a call after the fact. I'm 90% sure I've seen the same play happen, where a high-stick was missed, and after the whistle the refs gathered to get it right. Last night they gathered, yet STILL didn't make a call. Does that mean that all 4 refs and linesmen thought it was Filpulla's stick?

Nothing we can do about it now, but it pissed me off.

The linesman was looking right at it. It was amazing they all "thought" is was Fils stick. maybe if Fil was a defenceman playing Lacrosse. Terrible call it really soured what was a competitive well played game. Refs were incosistent all night which is terrible for the players. Neither team could get into a groove on whats gonna be called and whats not gonna be called. For instance the interference call on Kronwall which led to the Morris goal. Doan goes out there takes out Helm and the partys on after that. I mean come on good win by the Yotes but I'd feel alot better about it if they didn't have some help

I've said this before, but if I didn't love the Red Wings, I sincerely doubt I would follow the NHL because it's a garbage league run by morons and it just trickles down to the officiating. The league doesn't know what the rules are and the refs do a terrible job enforcing the perceived rules on their end.

I thought last night was a disgrace in general, although the Red Wings definitely got the short-end of the calls (which I expected going into the series playing the league's second team). There was way too much garbage getting called. Ten powerplays combined isn't hockey - it's a specialty teams showcase which unfortunately the Red Wings did poorly at. The Lilja elbowing call was frickin laughable. The Morris goal was a result of an interference penalty they have seemingly called 1000 times this season. Let the players play the game, call the stuff that matters. Ya know, like a blatant high stick to the face which somehow goes unnoticed by eight eyes. Nice priorities NHL: make sure to call five hooking minors 200 feet from the play, but ignore an obvious offense which no doubt changed the game.

Hockey is the best sport in the world. It's a shame we have to watch a league run and officiated by incompetent individuals on so many levels.

Edited by GoWings1905

I've said this before, but if I didn't love the Red Wings, I sincerely doubt I would follow the NHL because it's a garbage league run by morons and it just trickles down to the officiating. The league doesn't know what the rules are and the refs do a terrible job enforcing the perceived rules on their end.

I thought last night was a disgrace in general, although the Red Wings definitely got the short-end of the calls (which I expected going into the series playing the league's second team). There was way too much garbage getting called. Ten powerplays combined isn't hockey - it's a specialty teams showcase which unfortunately the Red Wings did poorly at. The Lilja elbowing call was frickin laughable. The Morris goal was a result of an interference penalty they have seemingly called 1000 times this season. Let the players play the game, call the stuff that matters. Ya know, like a blatant high stick to the face which somehow goes unnoticed by eight eyes. Nice priorities NHL: make sure to call five hooking minors 200 feet from the play, but ignore an obvious offense which no doubt changed the game.

Hockey is the best sport in the world. It's a shame we have to watch a league run and officiated by incompetent individuals on so many levels.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Recently I'm starting to take more of a liking to NCAA hockey really.

Personally, I thought the officiating was pretty good up until the no-call high stick incident. I don't mind it being called tight if calls are made for both teams.

I can live with missed calls more often than not. I've been a sports official of different sports, albeit a much lesser level of competition, so I know it is a pretty damned hard job in the heat of the moment. So I can usually live with stuff like a missed accidental high stick if you're say 40 feet away with your back turned to that specific incident. You can't have eyes in the back of your head. Some human error is inevitable here.

What irritates the bejesus out of me though is that the officials CONSULTED with each other on a dead whitsle immediately after the high-stick happened for a few good moments, were not far away when it happened, and THEY STILL GOT IT WRONG.

I absolutely cannot stand when fans in here go nuts with conspiracy theories against Detroit or that Bettman and his chronies are up to no good again, because that clearly isn't the case. But I also cannot stand when officials do not do the right thing or play more of a role than is necessary in deciding the outcome of a game. When there was no penalty called there on an obvious infraction, the hair on the back of my neck nearly stood up.

Now, would that call have changed the outcome of the game? Maybe not. But if it's called, the Wings go on a 4-on-3 and then 5-on-3 PP. Seems like those odds increase a bit to tie the game then. I'll give full credit to Phoenix for winning this game. As it went on they took the play to the Wings and deserved the win. But the referees playing much more of a role than necessary in the game as well. Your job as a referee is to be as fair as you can, and not get noticed. Well, the refs got noticed in a bad, bad way late in the game there blowing an obvious call.

I'm with you, if I wasn't a Red Wings die-hard, I'd probably give up on this league altogether. The NHL seriously needs to look at the way the NFL and MLB are run and learn what it takes to have a professional league.