• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BlakKy

Lidstrom hi-stick incident

Rate this topic

I'm with you, if I wasn't a Red Wings die-hard, I'd probably give up on this league altogether. The NHL seriously needs to look at the way the NFL and MLB are run and learn what it takes to have a professional league.

Bad call.

Every sport has bad officiating, it's just you probably don't pay attention or are as emotionally involved as the ones in hockey.

Edited by Carman

Personally, I thought the officiating was pretty good up until the no-call high stick incident. I don't mind it being called tight if calls are made for both teams.

I can live with missed calls more often than not. I've been a sports official of different sports, albeit a much lesser level of competition, so I know it is a pretty damned hard job in the heat of the moment. So I can usually live with stuff like a missed accidental high stick if you're say 40 feet away with your back turned to that specific incident. You can't have eyes in the back of your head. Some human error is inevitable here.

What irritates the bejesus out of me though is that the officials CONSULTED with each other on a dead whitsle immediately after the high-stick happened for a few good moments, were not far away when it happened, and THEY STILL GOT IT WRONG.

I absolutely cannot stand when fans in here go nuts with conspiracy theories against Detroit or that Bettman and his chronies are up to no good again, because that clearly isn't the case. But I also cannot stand when officials do not do the right thing or play more of a role than is necessary in deciding the outcome of a game. When there was no penalty called there on an obvious infraction, the hair on the back of my neck nearly stood up.

Now, would that call have changed the outcome of the game? Maybe not. But if it's called, the Wings go on a 4-on-3 and then 5-on-3 PP. Seems like those odds increase a bit to tie the game then. I'll give full credit to Phoenix for winning this game. As it went on they took the play to the Wings and deserved the win. But the referees playing much more of a role than necessary in the game as well. Your job as a referee is to be as fair as you can, and not get noticed. Well, the refs got noticed in a bad, bad way late in the game there blowing an obvious call.

You have correctly pegged the total insanity, arrogance and stupidity of the non-call. This was the ultimate insult to the Wings and a total eye-opener about how badly most NHL games are officiated.

I put two screen-shots together from the video...

dMcCo.jpg

I don't think I've been more upset over a call. The Penguins having too many men on the ice for 30 seconds was bad, The Redwings losing a tie game vs. the Ducks (on Marian Hossa's no goal) sucked, but this is just plain disrespect for a player's well being.

I'm usually not one to complain about a missed call or a botched call or what have you, because I know there's human error (such as Helm being interfered with before the 3rd goal on the PK, I missed it myself before Mickey pointed it out) and they usually do a decent job in keeping it as consistent as possible, but I just don't know what to say about that no call high stick on Lidstrom. I just can't see how you could miss that?

Maybe Lids needs to go down like he's been shot to get the attention of the zebras. I guess playing hockey the right way doesn't work anymore, so be like a soccer player.

Bad call.

Every sport has bad officiating, it's just you probably don't pay attention or are as emotionally involved as the ones in hockey.

Bad calls are a part of sports - I haven't really come across anyone arguing otherwise here. However, I consider myself a pretty dedicated follower of all four professional sports. Hockey is my favorite sport, but I have an emotional interest vested into other teams as well.

The difference is I hardly ever watch a baseball or football game and come away thinking the officiating had a direct influence on the outcome. It happens in hockey pretty frequently and far more than I feel is appropriate. Hockey is the worst officiated professional sport hands-down and it seemingly keeps getting worse somehow. I'm not big into conspiracy theories and what not, but there is a huge line to me between bad calls and consistently crossing the line like so many numerous times we have seen as Red Wings fans in recent history. You can't miss a high sticking infraction like the one on Lidstrom last night and tell me something like the elbowing call on Lilja is acceptable. The refs aren't doing their job in that case. Human error is part of the deal, but repeated offenses is more than human error. The league doesn't know what a penalty is, refs don't, the players don't and neither do we as fans on a nightly basis.

The NHL is poorly run. It's pathetic the lack of accountability that the league holds its officials to after continuous poor performance. I don't see anything like what happens in the NHL even remotely occurring in other professional sports.

Edited by GoWings1905

Bad calls are a part of sports - I haven't really come across anyone arguing otherwise here. However, I consider myself a pretty dedicated follower of all four professional sports. Hockey is my favorite sport, but I have an emotional interest vested into other teams as well.

The difference is I hardly ever watch a baseball or football game and come away thinking the officiating had a direct influence on the outcome. It happens in hockey pretty frequently and far more than I feel is appropriate. Hockey is the worst officiated professional sport hands-down and it seemingly keeps getting worse somehow. I'm not big into conspiracy theories and what not, but there is a huge line to me between bad calls and consistently crossing the line like so many numerous times we have seen as Red Wings fans in recent history. You can't miss a high sticking infraction like the one on Lidstrom last night and tell me something like the elbowing call on Lilja is acceptable. The refs aren't doing their job in that case. Human error is part of the deal, but repeated offenses is more than human error. The league doesn't know what a penalty is, refs don't, the players don't and neither do we as fans on a nightly basis.

The NHL is poorly run. It's pathetic the lack of accountability that the league holds its officials to after continuous poor performance. I don't see anything like what happens in the NHL even remotely occurring in other professional sports.

Um, I'd have to say the NBA is hands down the worst officiated sport. Tim Donaghy raises the red flag with that. Even though he claims he hasn't cheated in fixing games, he did admit that the refs had meetings before games on who to give lee-way to and who to be hard on. That type of officiating is preposterous.

People can ***** all they want about NHL refs blowing calls and whatnot, but the games' faster on the ice and there's a lot going on. I think NHL refs do a good job for the most part and I've seen worse calls in other sports (Ed Hochuli's botched whistle on a fumble during the Broncos/Chargers game, changing the outcome of the game). I don't know how they didn't catch that high-sticking, but that stuff happens from time to time. Only way to fix it is to have instant replays for that stuff, but the NHL will be reluctant to do that as it would slow the game down even more and prolong it. So we're just gonna have to live with some of these bad calls, move on to the next game and be more worried about our team playing better than the refs missing 1 or 2 calls.

I guess you haven't watched much of the biggest and most popular sport in the world, soccer. They don't review goals. They don't review ANYTHING. They don't stop time during game except half time break. Do you have any idea how many huge important games have been decided by a bad call/missed call from the referee? A missed off side call? A wrongly made off side call? They can't review it so the decision stands directly after it's been made. So hockey is hardly the worst sport in that aspect..

I think you guys overreact. I agree that the calling on penalties are pretty inconsistent but imo it's not such a huge deal you ought it to be. I think it evens out pretty good. Hockey is such a fast paced game with lots of pysichal contact. The refs will miss penalties, they will make bad penalties, they will forever.

Btw, I can't think of any other sport which have so thoroughly reviews of questionable goals. How many goals are scored every year and how many goals are wrongly ruled as a goal? (I'm thinking about goals like the one May scored earlier in the season but was ruled as a no goal). It rarely happens.. Just because they have so good reviews. Cameras from every ******* angle. (I'm not talking about goals scored due to a wrongly made penalty). Just wanted to point out that the goal reviews are very accurate so that's a bright spot don't you agree?

Thoughts?

Edited by hak

I guess you haven't watched much of the biggest and most popular sport in the world, soccer. They don't review goals. They don't review ANYTHING. They don't stop time during game except half time break. Do you have any idea how many huge important games have been decided by a bad call/missed call from the referee? A missed off side call? A wrongly made off side call? They can't review it so the decision stands directly after it's been made. So hockey is hardly the worst sport in that aspect..

I think you guys overreact. I agree that the calling on penalties are pretty inconsistent but imo it's not such a huge deal you ought it to be. I think it evens out pretty good. Hockey is such a fast paced game with lots of pysichal contact. The refs will miss penalties, they will make bad penalties, they will forever.

Btw, I can't think of any other sport which have so thoroughly reviews of questionable goals. How many goals are scored every year and how many goals are wrongly ruled as a goal? (I'm thinking about goals like the one May scored earlier in the season but was ruled as a no goal). It rarely happens.. Just because they have so good reviews. Cameras from every ******* angle. (I'm not talking about goals scored due to a wrongly made penalty). Just wanted to point out that the goal reviews are very accurate so that's a bright spot don't you agree?

Thoughts?

I honestly can't comment whatsoever on soccer as I have never watched an entire game in my life. It may be popular worldwide, but I'm like most Americans and couldn't care less about it. I'll take your word on that subject.

Reviews are nice and typically serve well, but what does it matter in situations when the stupid intent to blow the whistle rule overrides a good goal anyways? It happened with May and more importantly to Hossa in Anaheim. Is that not poor officiating? I'm not saying it isn't a tough job. All I want is some more solid consistency. If no one following or playing the game knows what a penalty is from night-to-night, I don't see how that is anything but a failure on the NHL's end to properly implement the rules they expect to guide play. Refs in the NHL have far too much impact on the outcome of games for my liking. Last night was no exception and I'm not just saying this because the Red Wings lost. It isn't overreacting if the problem is ongoing and there doesn't seem to be any effort in place to fix the shortcomings.

I might be the only one that feels there was no interference on Helm, but both him and Doan were going towards the faceoff dot. Helm was not trying to get to the point. They both can own that space. They made contact and Helm fell. That would have been a terrible call to make.

I've seen the refs miss high stick calls before and it's always absurd, my only question was why did they blow the whistle to stop the play? Lidstrom was skating towards the bench to make a change, he wasn't lying on the ice. Players get hurt constantly and make their way to the bench and the play doesn't stop.

For me it's not so much the missed high-stick it's everything that surrounds it that just makes it shady. He gets high-sticked, bends over, straightens back up and skates towards the bench. While that was happening Wings never lost control of the puck, Williams had just gotten a pass from Zetterberg and was about to pass into the slot and the play is blown dead. Lidstrom is at the bench by that time. Refs and Linesmen get together to talk about tuesdays episode of LOST and then they just continue the game. WTF just happened??? Why blow the play dead when the Wings had control? Why have a meeting when no one was calling a penalty anyway? Why say a comment so foolish that one of the most quietest, respectful players in the league is moved to call you out on it?

It's a long series and an even longer playoff run, the Wings will be mad for how poorly they played and come out flying. Unlike the Sharks, Penguins, Capitals and Devils the Wings haven't lost at home, I doubt anyone who picked the Pens or Caps to win is changing it after one loss. I'm not changing mine. GO WINGS!!!

Refs and Linesmen get together to talk about tuesdays episode of LOST and then they just continue the game.

:lol:

Seriously though, I'm wondering the same thing. I don't get why they stopped the play.

I agree that a call on Helm from Doan would have been weak. I would not have agreed if I were on the 'yote's side. But a missed 5-on-3 opportunity really irks me.

You have to read this. Sorry don't know how to post the article but here's the link. :ranting:

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/04/tsns_dreger_nhls_gms_voted_to.html

I love watching this game and it'll take a lot to change that, but this is just another example of how a lot of rules need to be switched and how painfully loosely defined they are.

What's bad about this is that, at least I sound like a bitter fan or whatever focusing so much on this missed high-stick call and not giving Phoenix credit for the win. They deserved the win, they eventually took the play to Detroit and took care of a business. Blowing an obvious call though there late in the game played a significant result in the game, which is so frustrating that officials had to play a bigger hand in determining the outcome of a game than necessary.

Remember 2008 game 6 with 3 minutes left in the game?...1 poor call on Hudler followed up by 2 obvious non-calls.

6 Penguins on the ice for some 30 seconds last spring?

How many goals waived off on Homer these past few years?

I'm no conspiracy type, but 1 thing is certain for our beloved Red Wings - they get screwed by the refs more often than not.

But see, you're not allowed to point out actual examples lest you be thrown in with the tin foil hat wearers.

esteef

But see, you're not allowed to point out actual examples lest you be thrown in with the tin foil hat wearers.

esteef

There is a difference between noting bad calls, and then saying the bad calls are directly influenced by the league.

There is a difference between noting bad calls, and then saying the bad calls are directly influenced by the league.

I've noticed a trend here on LGW that alot of people only see black or white. If you are pro something , or argue for something you get ridicoulous generalations from them who argue against the same thing. It's hard for me to express myself because my vocabulary is thin but maybe you understand what I mean? Example, "I think Crosby is the best playmaker in the league; >argument<" , Then some people just answer with a "Yeah Crosby is jesus god and is here to save mankind :rolleyes:" instead of actually adress the argument in a civil matter. And then the counterpart counter in the same way and the discussion is ruined. I hate that. People who are pro something goes too far on the pro side while people on the con side goes too far on that side. I wish people had more perspective and self distance. Not saying im innocent in that matter but i think it's a bit of an issue here.

Agree or disagree?

I've noticed a trend here on LGW that alot of people only see black or white. If you are pro something , or argue for something you get ridicoulous generalations from them who argue against the same thing. It's hard for me to express myself because my vocabulary is thin but maybe you understand what I mean? Example, "I think Crosby is the best playmaker in the league; >argument<" , Then some people just answer with a "Yeah Crosby is jesus god and is here to save mankind :rolleyes:" instead of actually adress the argument in a civil matter. And then the counterpart counter in the same way and the discussion is ruined. I hate that. People who are pro something goes too far on the pro side while people on the con side goes too far on that side. I wish people had more perspective and self distance. Not saying im innocent in that matter but i think it's a bit of an issue here.

Agree or disagree?

I agree, and we call that going from one extreme to the other.