• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest CaliWingsNut

4/15 - Off Night Games

Rate this topic

With what money? Sammy was gone no matter if Hudler wanted to stay or not.

Basically, salary-wise, it would be trading Bert and Williams for Samuelsson and a player at league min. Personally, I'd take that in a second. Although I think Sammy indicated that he wanted more of an opportunity than he was getting here.

Also, why would Holland have wanted Hudler over Samuelsson? Babcock clearly liked Sammy better seeing as how he was never buried on the fourth line. And since Hudler was an RFA he would have gotten some compensation (at that point he thought Hudler was staying).

Edited by Zetts

Guest Crymson

In before Eva shows up to claim that Hudler was on track to cure cancer, reverse global warming and bring world peace were he to have signed here.

Hudler's salary doesn't matter if he doesnt play for the team this year.

Also:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2009/07/mikael_samuelsson_signs_threey.html

Samuelsson was signed by the time that Hudler's cap space opened up. It was too late.

That article reiterated that the amount of money was the most important factor for Samuelsson:

"It was a bunch of reasons, not only the money, although it was the key," Samuelsson said. "I liked it in Detroit, no hard feelings, but they came up too short, too late. In my mind, they made a choice. I know they had a cap issue. That's the way it goes, that's the system."

Edited by Crymson

In before Eva shows up to claim that Hudler was on track to cure cancer, reverse global warming and bring world peace were he to have signed here.

Samuelsson was signed by the time that Hudler's cap space opened up. It was too late.

That article reiterated that the amount of money was the most important factor for Samuelsson:

What a bargain that guy is at 2.5mil.....Mr. Clutch

Okay? The Wings can't throw whatever money they want at a player. Hudler isn't going to simply rush his decision based on the fact the Wings want to sign someone else, and the fact is the Wings didn't have the money to sign him.

End of story.

Guest Crymson

Okay? The Wings can't throw whatever money they want at a player. Hudler isn't going to simply rush his decision based on the fact the Wings want to sign someone else, and the fact is the Wings didn't have the money to sign him.

End of story.

Hudler waited until arbitration and then bolted to Russia. All desirable free agents, Samuelsson included, were long since signed by that point. This is how we became stuck with Williams. Bertuzzi has done well, but Samuelsson was better than the two of them combined. Williams has been patently and completely worthless.

Who cares? Obviously, change is good. If there were any way Detroit could have re-signed Sammy, I don't see him performing the way he did this year if he were with Detroit. I could see him as the same old logo hunter that he was. Different city, different teammates, different role, good for him.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

wow what an exciting game to watch! (van-la)

although i still feel PHX-DET is the most exciting series to watch but this wasnt far behind!

Quick and Luongo both played very well and the crowd was nothing short of spectacular!

Who cares? Obviously, change is good. If there were any way Detroit could have re-signed Sammy, I don't see him performing the way he did this year if he were with Detroit. I could see him as the same old logo hunter that he was. Different city, different teammates, different role, good for him.

He did get some unique opportunities in Vancouver, but people are continuing to undervalue this guy. Babcock loved this guy and for a good reason.

His lowest point total here was 34 points and that was in 53 games. His worst season was comparable to a player like Filppula this year (35 points 55 games) and in comparison to that season, Flip gets more ice time and plays with better players. I'm not trying to drag Flip down, you could make the same argument with other players. The point is just that Samuelsson was much better than he's given credit for.

Oh yeah, and he's clutch.

Edit: And with the Wings he was making what, like 1.2 million? I know it doesn't really affect how good he was as a player, but that's some damn good value for your money. I just hate hearing the "logo hunter, Sammy sucked, blah blah" thing.

Bargains like that don't come along easily. Williams makes 1.5. Ugh.

Edited by Zetts

He did get some unique opportunities in Vancouver, but people are continuing to undervalue this guy. Babcock loved this guy and for a good reason.

His lowest point total here was 34 points and that was in 53 games. His worst season was comparable to a player like Filppula this year (35 points 55 games) and in comparison to that season, Flip gets more ice time and plays with better players. I'm not trying to drag Flip down, you could make the same argument with other players. The point is just that Samuelsson was much better than he's given credit for.

Oh yeah, and he's clutch.

Edit: And with the Wings he was making what, like 1.2 million? I know it doesn't really affect how good he was as a player, but that's some damn good value for your money. I just hate hearing the "logo hunter, Sammy sucked, blah blah" thing.

Bargains like that don't come along easily. Williams makes 1.5. Ugh.

Good point...not from you but, I don't see the "I'd rather have Sammy than Williams" argument. That's too weak, honestly Detroit would be better off with Jody Shelley than Williams.