• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Hockey God

Hockey God

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:15 AM

Larry Aurie was considered by owner James Norris as the heart and soul of the Detroit NHL franchise from 1927 through 1938. He was known for his remarkable all-around play, goal-scoring achievements and for being instrumental in the Red Wings' winning their first two Stanley Cup championships in 1936 and 1937. Aurie's No. 6 jersey was officially retired by James Norris after the 1937-38 season. His jersey was displayed in the Olympia Stadium lobby during the 1960s, but present owner Mike Ilitch for some inexplicable reason refuses to display the number at Joe Louis Arena with the other retired numbers, despite several published accounts to support the retirement of the number.
You can get the full story here http://bleacherrepor...-to-the-rafters

And sign a petition to hang Aurie's number at Joe Louis here http://www.gopetitio...he-rafters.html

Attached Files

#2 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:16 AM

Nice!
Posted Image

#3 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,850 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:20 AM

Yeah it's been talked about here before, and it seems very unclassy by Ilitch, especially since he refuses to explain himself.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#4 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

Yeah it's been talked about here before, and it seems very unclassy by Ilitch, especially since he refuses to explain himself.

As we've discussed on this board many times, this is one of the only black marks on an otherwise pristine Ilitch era...

Even though it is still technically unofficially retired and the team will not issue it to any other players, Aurie still deserves the honor he was once bestowed to be returned

#6 should be in the rafters. period.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#5 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

Agreed. For all reasons listed and then some.

See this for details.

Edited by 55fan, 16 April 2010 - 11:03 AM.

#6 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

I thought this was going to be a thread about Stumpy Steve Thomas

#7 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

I signed it. Gotta respect all those who have given major parts of their life to this organization.

#8 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:26 AM

Larry Aurie was considered by owner James Norris as the heart and soul of the Detroit NHL franchise from 1927 through 1938. He was known for his remarkable all-around play, goal-scoring achievements and for being instrumental in the Red Wings' winning their first two Stanley Cup championships in 1936 and 1937. Aurie's No. 6 jersey was officially retired by James Norris after the 1937-38 season. His jersey was displayed in the Olympia Stadium lobby during the 1960s, but present owner Mike Ilitch for some inexplicable reason refuses to display the number at Joe Louis Arena with the other retired numbers, despite several published accounts to support the retirement of the number.
You can get the full story here http://bleacherrepor...-to-the-rafters

And sign a petition to hang Aurie's number at Joe Louis here http://www.gopetitio...he-rafters.html

He didn't even play in the 1937 playoffs.

My personal opinion...based only on what I can tell from stats and other stories as I've obviously never seen him play, he never should have had his number retired in the first place. HOWEVER, he did have his number retired and becuase of that, it should still be honoured as such, regardless of what new owner may think.

Think about it this way: If the team gets sold and a new owner comes in and decides he doesn't want to have Howe's and Yzerman's numbers retired anymore......what would you think?

#9 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,823 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

My personal opinion...based only on what I can tell from stats and other stories as I've obviously never seen him play, he never should have had his number retired in the first place. HOWEVER, he did have his number retired and becuase of that, it should still be honoured as such, regardless of what new owner may think.

Think about it this way: If the team gets sold and a new owner comes in and decides he doesn't want to have Howe's and Yzerman's numbers retired anymore......what would you think?

Blasphemy.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#10 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

Agreed... except about the "he never should have had his number retired in the first place".

I've read about Larry Aurie quite a bit - and the best way I can describe him is a heart and soul player and leader, who gave 110% effort each and every night, on both ends of the ice.

Think of Kris Draper - and what he has meant to the team, only much better offensively.
If Draper had won the Rocket Richard, led the team in points in the playoffs and finished Top 4 in points in the league twice -- you better believe a lot of folks would believe he deserved to go up to the rafters. Heck, many think he deserves it already.

When a young Gordie Howe joined the Red Wings, Jack Adams was often asked if he would be the "next Larry Aurie".

He actually was a player/coach in 1937. Injured for the playoffs, but was behind the bench.

Edited by egroen, 16 April 2010 - 11:52 AM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#11 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

Agreed... except about the "he never should have had his number retired in the first place".

I've read about Larry Aurie quite a bit - and the best way I can describe him is a heart and soul player and leader, who gave 110% effort each and every night, on both ends of the ice.

Think of Kris Draper - and what he has meant to the team, only much better offensively.
If Draper had won the Rocket Richard, led the team in points in the playoffs and finished Top 4 in points in the league twice -- you better believe a lot of folks would believe he deserved to go up to the rafters. Heck, many think he deserves it already.

When a young Gordie Howe joined the Red Wings, Jack Adams was often asked if he would be the "next Larry Aurie".

He actually was a player/coach in 1937. Injured for the playoffs, but was behind the bench.

"Free Iran?"

"I'll take it!"

::dials phone::

"Saudi Arabia, I have something you may want, muahahaha"

sorry... every time I see your signature I feel the need to make that slightly modified Family Guy reference...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#12 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:11 AM

"Free Iran?"

"I'll take it!"

::dials phone::

"Saudi Arabia, I have something you may want, muahahaha"

sorry... every time I see your signature I feel the need to make that slightly modified Family Guy reference...

:lol:
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#13 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:38 PM

Interesting question: Why was his number removed from Olympia in the '60s? We talk about Illitch "un-retiring" it, but why was it removed before Illitch came on the scene?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#14 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

:lol: I was gonna say Boyd the Void!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#15 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

I thought it was going to about that one guy, um... can't think of his name...

#16 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

I've done countless research on this and the only logical explanation is that the Red Wings don't retire numbers of players who aren't in the Hall of Fame.
Atlanta Thrashers: 1999-2011

WINTER CLASSIC 2013

"When you want to measure yourself, you don't measure yourself against, no disrespect to TORONTO or any other team that I can think of right now, you measure yourself against the Detroit Red Wings. They are the best in the league, and whether they won last year's Cup or didn't win last year's Cup, they're the measuring stick." - Bruce Boudreau

#17 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

I've done countless research on this and the only logical explanation is that the Red Wings don't retire numbers of players who aren't in the Hall of Fame.

I don't know enough to have an opinion or not, but if that's the case, makes sense I guess.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#18 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

If Draper had won the Rocket Richard, led the team in points in the playoffs and finished Top 4 in points in the league twice

So not Kris Draper in any meaningful way. Got it.

But he played here awhile and tried very hard with good results. :)
*this space for rent*

#19 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

:lol: I was gonna say Boyd the Void!

esteef

Mathieu Dandenault was my first guess!
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#20 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:34 AM

I've always assumed there was a dark secret about Larry that the Ilitches knew but haven't made public out of respect to his family. (maybe he ate babies or kicked a puppy down the stairs or something like that)

That still doesn't explain why Red Kelly is being snubbed.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft