• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Reasons why to have Ericsson play the point on the PP

Rate this topic

Alright, so the first thing was fixed - Abs in for Williams... now onto the second topic - Who will man the point on the 2nd PP unit?

Now, don't get me wrong, I think Stuart has been great and was very good on the powerplay when he worked it earlier this year with the injuries and wouldn't be disappointed to see him back there, but it makes more sense to have Ericsson on the PP for this reason -

As we saw in the mini-slump Stuart had earlier this year, he is best when right around 18-21 minutes a night, anything more and he starts to do too much and make mental mistakes, he works VERY well on the PK (last game was bad for everyone) and should play big minutes 5 on 5, with that said, spread it out a little and do this:

PP1 -

Lidstrom-Rafalski

PP2 -

Ericsson-Kronwall

PK1-

Stuart-Kronwall

PK2-

Lidstrom-Lilja

Ericsson has a CANON of a shot and has good offensive instincts and can handle the puck well... why not set him up for those one timers and give it a shot?

I agree, Stuart plays enough minutes already and Ericsson can score big goals (ie. game 7 SC Final last year)

I just want someone on the point that makes guys at least hesitate when they go to block a shot, that split second hesitation can lead to goals... so can 100 mph shots past screens, haha

Guest mindfly

Ericsson doesn't hit the net much.. often it's high or wide.. and if he shoots it and a phoenix player is in the lane and gets a partial break away he won't have the speed to catch up... but then again williams isn't fast either... Stuart would be the best choice.. he can play 30mins :D

Mike never went to Ericsson out there all season, even during all the injuries. Does he know something we don't know? Probably tons, but I wonder what the reason is for that one.

Stuart doesn't seem like a strong choice to me. In 90 minutes of PP time this season he had 3 PP points. Even Williams had more success than that. If for whatever reason Ericsson gets no shot out there, the option of rotating the three of Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Kronwall might be the best one in terms of results, but I'm guessing Mike doesn't want to heap any more unnecessary ice time onto his vets. It'll be an interesting call.

Mike never went to Ericsson out there all season, even during all the injuries. Does he know something we don't know? Probably tons, but I wonder what the reason is for that one.

Stuart doesn't seem like a strong choice to me. In 90 minutes of PP time this season he had 3 PP points. Even Williams had more success than that. If for whatever reason Ericsson gets no shot out there, the option of rotating the three of Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Kronwall might be the best one in terms of results, but I'm guessing Mike doesn't want to heap any more unnecessary ice time onto his vets. It'll be an interesting call.

Might be an off the wall idea, but what about Eaves? They keep talking about how he has such a great shot. The truth is I would like to see them use hime in the old Shanny/Brett Hull role of sniper from the slot.

Might be an off the wall idea, but what about Eaves? They keep talking about how he has such a great shot. The truth is I would like to see them use hime in the old Shanny/Brett Hull role of sniper from the slot.

Man... you just beat me to it... I was gonna say:

WILD CARD! BOOM EAVES!

(virtual points if you get the WILD CARD reference)

That's sort of where I'm at with it.

E has some offensive skills, but with as much as he's struggled this year, I'd be a little reluctant to put him in a high pressure situation like on the point.

And he has a cannon, but his windup isn't suited to the NHL speed of the game like Nick's is. I'm betting it's a cannon when he has all day to wind up. But he's gonna have to shorten it up to get the shot off and get it through guys.

Might be worth trying having Ericsson out there, but like I said, with as much as he struggled, I'd want him to be able to keep his game simple.

That's sort of where I'm at with it.

E has some offensive skills, but with as much as he's struggled this year, I'd be a little reluctant to put him in a high pressure situation like on the point.

And he has a cannon, but his windup isn't suited to the NHL speed of the game like Nick's is. I'm betting it's a cannon when he has all day to wind up. But he's gonna have to shorten it up to get the shot off and get it through guys.

Might be worth trying having Ericsson out there, but like I said, with as much as he struggled, I'd want him to be able to keep his game simple.

Maybe just try him out if we get a 5 on 3? Less lanes to shoot through and less chance of a break the other way and it gets the big boys a chance to rest...

Maybe just try him out if we get a 5 on 3?

I get your point but if Im a coach and have a 5 on 3 Im not going to be "trying" things out thats what practices are for Lidstrom double shifting Kronwall - Rafalski switching

I've been waiting for this thread! I've been telling my friends how awesome it would be to have his shot from the point on our PP since the beginning of the season. Switching from Williams to him is like switching from a musket to a .300

I get your point but if Im a coach and have a 5 on 3 Im not going to be "trying" things out thats what practices are for Lidstrom double shifting Kronwall - Rafalski switching

yes, you try it out in practice first and if it works, then you apply it in game time... I'm not advocating just throwing it out there without any practice time first...

Guest Crymson

Ericsson has a CANON of a shot and has good offensive instincts and can handle the puck well... why not set him up for those one timers and give it a shot?

Ericsson has poor offensive instincts, which is the cause of his very low point totals. He lacks the awareness necessary to get himself in position to take a shot, let alone one that will not get blocked. He is also defensively irresponsible, making him a poor choice for a situation in which much of the rest of the players won't be able to help him should he be caught---as he often is---flat-footed.

Maybe just try him out if we get a 5 on 3? Less lanes to shoot through and less chance of a break the other way and it gets the big boys a chance to rest...

In the regular season? Maybe. During the playoffs, when every goal is vital? Not a chance.

Ericsson has poor offensive instincts, which is the cause of his very low point totals. He lacks the awareness necessary to get himself in position to take a shot, let alone one that will not get blocked. He is also defensively irresponsible, making him a poor choice for a situation in which much of the rest of the players won't be able to help him should he be caught---as he often is---flat-footed.

In the regular season? Maybe. During the playoffs, when every goal is vital? Not a chance.

on the 2nd PP? Why not... like I already said, try it in practice and if it works, give it a go, if not, try Eaves (also in practice first)

My point is, only use Stuart if we have to, otherwise, keep him playing hefty 5 on 5 and PK minutes

Edited by stevkrause

His 100mph shot sounds good but it really isn't all that accurate these days.

It's a risky move but I vote for playing Rafalski on the PP the full two minutes.

His 100mph shot sounds good but it really isn't all that accurate these days.

It's a risky move but I vote for playing Rafalski on the PP the full two minutes.

If anything, they'd cycle Rafalski, Lidstrom and Kronwall and they would all see an average of 1:20 of ice time per PP...

I still think E's worth trying to groom for that role in practice and see where it takes us...

I also wouldn't mind seeing Eaves get a chance...

If anything, they'd cycle Rafalski, Lidstrom and Kronwall and they would all see an average of 1:20 of ice time per PP...

I still think E's worth trying to groom for that role in practice and see where it takes us...

I also wouldn't mind seeing Eaves get a chance...

Grooming is for the regular season. In the playoffs, you are who you are and if you're trying to win a cup then you don't really have time to wade through growing pains.

Eaves as a bottom six player only gets about 10-13 minutes a game and those minutes should be spent on the PK. Williams doesn't play on the PK because he would suck at it but also because in theory he's supposed to play on the PP for his special teams minutes. It's why Stuart plays on the PK but not the PP and why Rafalski plays on the PP but not the PK.

Not in the playoffs, Stuart has past veteran experience on the PP. Ericsson needs to focus on the PK/5v5 game, maybe next season he can start getting a chance. But the playoffs aren't a time to gamble on something that is easily filled by a proven player.

Edited by Carman