• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

I didn't say it was a "problem" for him again or anything like that, but he does still enjoy the 'ginger ale', as Mickey would say. Nothing wrong with that as long as he's put those demons fully behind him.

Thanks for the clarification, Matt. But speaking as a twelve-stepper myself, I haven't put anything behind me if I take even one more drink. Millions have learned the hard way that if you are truly addicted, there's no such thing as being able to drink moderately.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#22 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:28 PM

lol i remember goin to court ordered na meetings n tellin them i don't actually have a problem n one guy was like "you sure? i think you have a problem."... all this after me sitting at the table for 5 minutes not saying a word until i explained my situation (arrested with MARIJUANA!!!!!!!!!)

sorry, off topic but it still bugs me... like f***, seriously?

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:40 AM

McCarty was probably unwilling to suck Crosby off like the other analysts always do, so they canned him.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

McCarty was probably unwilling to suck Crosby off like the other analysts always do, so they canned him.

Or he didn't genuflect as he passed the Cindy statue in the studio.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#25 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Millions have learned the hard way that if you are truly addicted, there's no such thing as being able to drink moderately.

i don't think enough people really understand that. i see"tagged" d-mac pictures on facebook all the time. they are usually him at a bar or a house party, and that is a slippery slope. i hope everything is good with d-mac. alcohol can be the devil for alot of people.
edit: link

Edited by soultrain, 18 April 2010 - 12:35 PM.

#26 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

I don't know what happened to him the other night but I do know for a fact he still is drinking and drinking heavily. I really hope this isn't the case but knowing the shape I saw him in a few months ago I wouldn't put it past him. Sad, very sad.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#27 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

I don't know what happened to him the other night but I do know for a fact he still is drinking and drinking heavily. I really hope this isn't the case but knowing the shape I saw him in a few months ago I wouldn't put it past him. Sad, very sad.

A couple years ago the story was that he lost his way but eventually became sober and valued nothing more than his sobriety. To hear that he's potentially off the wagon adds a kind of, "Nope, just kidding" ending to that story, which is common with alcoholics but still frustrating.

#28 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:57 AM

I'm pretty sure he is okay. Never fear.
He was an analyst for NHL on the Fly on the NHL Network this morning.

#29 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

I wouldn't worry about it, he was an analyst on the NHL Networks NHL on the Fly, so I'm sure it wasn't a bad thing... if anything I would guess whoever was tapped to be the analyst on the night for NHL on the Fly had something come up and Darren covered for him, thus pulling him off the VS broadcast, as they already had other analysts to fill that show...

Edited by stevkrause, 24 April 2010 - 09:19 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#30 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:30 AM

I was watching Pitt and Ottawa on VS and I was looking forward to hearing Darren McCarty with the VS guys after the first period. They teased it, promised us DMac's commentary...and then when they cut to the intermission commentary, the announcers were laughing and joking about McCarty not being available and sending him to the penalty box. Any idea what happened? I love Mac and want the best for him and my worst nightmare would be that he showed up drunk to work and they wouldn't let him on air. Anybody hear any more on this?

Don't worry, they wouldn't have been laughing and joking about him if he had had a serious problem. He probably was in the bathroom or stuck in traffic or something, which would be laugh worthy. Or, like Stevkraus noted, maybe he got called over to a different broadcast or some other job, some kind of "promotion" and they were making fun of him for bailing on them.

Edited by VM1138, 24 April 2010 - 10:33 AM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#31 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

Good on MAC for saying the "fight" at the end of the Buffalo Boston game wasn't even a fight and no one should be suspended, then pointing out a better example of an instigated fight at the end of a game by showing Malkin going after Z last year. Of course, he's probably just some conspiracy theorist a-hole that doesn't know anything about hockey. :rolleyes:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#32 robat

robat

PAVELTECHNO

• Bronze Booster
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

He's been on NHL On The Fly the last couple nights.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:51 AM

Or he didn't genuflect as he passed the Cindy statue in the studio.

hahahaha

#34 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

esteef your sarcasm brightens my day

#35 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

McCarty is on Versus tonight, so I assume the problem wasn't serious :thumbup:

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#36 Flip-check

Flip-check

kicking ass and taking Cups

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

It was cool spotting Mac on the other night. Totally unexpected, but nice to see happen.

No, it's definitely excitement.

#37 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

Glad to see him back last night! I was watching the FS-D feed, but I recorded the VS one too, just in case something screwy happened, and I'm glad I did since he was back again. I wish they'd have him on there permanently...Engblom always gets off on one of his "this is serious business" type of rants, and it's nice to have McCarty there to lighten the mood a little. Thank God they don't have him (Engblom, I mean) and Milbury on the same show...

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#38 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

Maybe he wasn't on a couple of weeks ago because he says stuff like, "as a Detroit fan.. that sucks right now."

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png