• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nev

Wings Cup winners from 1950s finally receive rings

Rate this topic

I opened the small package, not having a clue what it might be," Pavelich said. "And it was a Stanley Cup ring that had four diamonds, my name engraved on it, and the four years that we had won the cup in the '50s engraved on another side. It brought tears to my eyes

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/04/a_must-read_conversation_with.html

Good job Mr Ilitch thumbup.gif

I'm surprised MLive is just now reporting on this. I read about this awhile ago, I believe in a book about the Red Wings. It said back then that instead of getting a ring, the players just got a huge dinner.

Regardless, it's a very classy move and I wouldn't expect anything less from the Ilitchs. Great owner or greatest owner?

I think this story was reported right after the Wings won in '08. Not a new story but very, very cool and classy. I wonder if there are any players from the '43 Cup win left alive? Or even any of the earlier ones? I can't imagine there would be any from the 30s, but it's possible.

I think this story was reported right after the Wings won in '08. Not a new story but very, very cool and classy. I wonder if there are any players from the '43 Cup win left alive? Or even any of the earlier ones? I can't imagine there would be any from the 30s, but it's possible.

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, there's one player from the '43 Cup alive- Jerome McAtee. Played 1 game in the regular season, did not play in the playoffs, did not qualify to be listed on the Cup. No one survives from the '36 or '37 Cups.