• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

#221 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:05 PM

Just don't even try explaining to them.they don't understand the fact that playoff hockey isn't for one-dimensional ballerinas.

:rolleyes:

It's going to be fun watching you guys squirm next season with Hudler back in the lineup.

Posted Image

#222 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

Like I said, a guy who brings 20 less points in the regular season, that can hit, fight and show up in the playoffs if nothing else but laying out bodies in the top 6 is much more important to a team then a 60 point getter that can't play in his own zone or be even slightly effective in the corners.

Think of it this way. We could trade Hudler for a couple prospects or draft picks, with that money sign Armstrong. Essentially youre trading Hudler for Armstrong and 2 prospects. Sounds good to me anyday.

Its obvious that Hudler can put up points. What he can't do is play defense or be physical which are integral parts of hockey. Detroit believes in solid two way play from all forwards, Hudler was the only one last season that couldn't play good defensively.

Dats and Z are still physical players, especially compared to Hudler.

How is Armstrong a better playoff player than Hudler? Haven't seen any concrete proof for that. Armstrong had almost 30 points this season while Hudler had almost 60 points last season. Armstrong had 40 points when playing with guys like Crosby and Kovalchuk. Hudler had 57 points when playing with last year's Filppula and last year's Samuelsson. So I think the difference is even bigger.

You really think Hudler is worse two-way forward than guys like Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Maltby, Miller... Guys like Miller or Maltby can't provide offense. Two-way means both offense and defense.

Our team lacks more offense than defense. That's what you don't get.

Later ******.You know it all man.

You just seriously don't get it.He's gonna be a 3rd line guy again.A linemate of his last year(Filppula)will be getting 2nd line minutes,therefore not playing with him.His ofense will be at the same level or less because of this.

Err... wrong. Hudler will be a top6 forward next season, with better linemates than last season as Filppula is better than last season and Franzen is better than Samuelsson last season.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#223 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

There I fixed that for you

Armstrong>Hudler case closed.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#224 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

A well-rounded TEAM.Not a one-dimensional TEAM.

I seriously doubt you truly believe that spending less than 3 million dollars on Hudler will make us a one-dimensional team.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 21 April 2010 - 05:12 PM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#225 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

I seriously doubt you truly believe that spending less than 3 million dollars on Hudler will make us a one-dimensional team.

It's like I said. We're lacking offense right now. Getting Armstrong will make our team even more defensive (=more one-dimensional). Getting Hudler will provide us with something that we are lacking (=less one-dimensional).

Armstrong>Hudler case closed.

Yes, I loved your great arguments in that case too. You explained them so well that I didn't have anything to say to defend Hudler. Have you thought about politics?

Edited by Finnish Wing, 21 April 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#226 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

Got it, but you don't get the point that he's not a huge offensive guy, what does he do in playoffs? Gets laid out to give the other team momentum and be too smalls and slow to make an impact. I would sacrifice 20 points in the regular season for a guy who will actually make an impact come playoff time. Hudler's 57 points doesn't mean s*** come playoffs.

Those 57 points would generally mean a higher seeding which can be very beneficial in the playoffs and also mean that the Wings don't have to ride their stars quite so hard (preemptive . . . that's what she said) which should lead to a better rested team come playoff time.

Edited by Frozen-Man, 21 April 2010 - 05:14 PM.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#227 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:18 PM

Colby Armstrong has had 0+1=1 points in 5 playoff games in his career, meaning 0.20 ppg.

Jiri Hudler has had 9+19=28 points in 51 playoff games in his career, meaning 0.55 ppg.

Hudler's has also ten times more playoff experience than Armstrong. Yet, somehow Armstrong is better playoff player. Weird.

#228 2guns

2guns

Rookie

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

LOL..

The BEST part of this thread is all the name calling, dick swinging bravado over nothing. LOL

Hudler is back. You're opinions, just like mine, mean nothing.

On that note, I'm willing to bet 5 bucks that the Wings do better next season than this one.

#229 deetroit dario

deetroit dario

i ride on two wheels, and they both have wings!

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

LOL..

The BEST part of this thread is all the name calling, dick swinging bravado over nothing. LOL

Hudler is back. You're opinions, just like mine, mean nothing.

On that note, I'm willing to bet 5 bucks that the Wings do better next season than this one.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:
and thats all i was trying to say before....somehow, this makes me a know-it-all. also, it makes me a "******" :zzz: . and they say creative thinking is dead...

thank you, 2guns, for reaffirming my faith in logic and reason.
:clap: :clap:
RAISE #16 TO THE RAFTERS!!!

i think, therefore i'm rare.

#230 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

Colby Armstrong has had 0+1=1 points in 5 playoff games in his career, meaning 0.20 ppg.

Jiri Hudler has had 9+19=28 points in 51 playoff games in his career, meaning 0.55 ppg.

Hudler's has also ten times more playoff experience than Armstrong. Yet, somehow Armstrong is better playoff player. Weird.

Hudler is invisible in the playoffs. Stats aren't everything. A guy like Colby Armstrong would be much more beneficial in the playoffs then Hudler. I guarantee you our team would be better off with 2 draft picks plus Colby Armstrong then just Hudler. I'm not saying I think this will happen but to think that this wouldn't make our team better is dumb. If you get rid of Hudler you free up basically 3 million or have about 3 million to spend after other guys come off the books and with 3 million you can get either a) a better offensive guy then Hudler who can play top 6 b) a strong 2 way guy like Armstrong who can hit and fight and will be noticeable come post season.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#231 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hudler is invisible in the playoffs. Stats aren't everything. A guy like Colby Armstrong would be much more beneficial in the playoffs then Hudler. I guarantee you our team would be better off with 2 draft picks plus Colby Armstrong then just Hudler. I'm not saying I think this will happen but to think that this wouldn't make our team better is dumb. If you get rid of Hudler you free up basically 3 million or have about 3 million to spend after other guys come off the books and with 3 million you can get either a) a better offensive guy then Hudler who can play top 6 b) a strong 2 way guy like Armstrong who can hit and fight and will be noticeable come post season.

Dats has a .62 PPG in the playoffs

So by that logic

Armstrong>Datsyuk
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#232 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:35 PM

True, Hudler can't play physical or anything. But that's okay. It's a pipe dream to think you can have an entire team full of gritty two way forwards. I'll take a scorer like Hudler even if he's not perfect.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#233 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

Considering Kenny Holland has made a career out of regular season and playoff success, I'll take his opinion on the matter over some nobody who thinks a low scoring forward who is "physical" can do better than Jiri Hudler.

Posted Image

Edited by Doc Holliday, 21 April 2010 - 08:44 PM.

Posted Image

#234 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:11 PM

Considering Kenny Holland has made a career out of regular season and playoff success, I'll take his opinion on the matter over some nobody who thinks a low scoring forward who is "physical" can do better than Jiri Hudler.

Posted Image

How do you know what Kenny Holland thinks? He's loyal to the people he drafts. How do you know he doesn't think he would be better off signing armstrong and trading Hudler but just doesn't do it because he's loyal? Or how do you know he won't sign Armstrong? Just cause he hasn't yet, but you never know he might. I doubt he will but too say you know what Kenny thinks is done. What Kenny thinks and what Kenny does can be two different things.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#235 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:13 PM

How do you know what Kenny Holland thinks? He's loyal to the people he drafts. How do you know he doesn't think he would be better off signing armstrong and trading Hudler but just doesn't do it because he's loyal? Or how do you know he won't sign Armstrong? Just cause he hasn't yet, but you never know he might. I doubt he will but too say you know what Kenny thinks is done. What Kenny thinks and what Kenny does can be two different things.

Why would he bother dealing with the arbitration issue if he could get rid of him for draft picks? Oh that's right, because he understands that keeping players who know the system and were raised in the system is much better than bringing in some pluggers who can't even bring the same offensive game.

Kenny is going to take Hudler and neither Armstrong or Clarkson will be on the roster next season. You can book it here.

Edited by Doc Holliday, 21 April 2010 - 09:16 PM.

Posted Image

#236 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

Why would he bother dealing with the arbitration issue if he could get rid of him for draft picks? Oh that's right, because he understands that keeping players who know the system and were raised in the system is much better than bringing in some pluggers who can't even bring the same offensive game.

Kenny is going to take Hudler and neither Armstrong or Clarkson will be on the roster next season. You can book it here.

I said that I didn't think they would be. What I said is that Armstrong would be better for this team. Detroit is moving away from 3 scoring lines and a 4th line and more into a 2 scoring line grind line 4th line team.

Hudler won't fit that system, because he isn't a top 6 player.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#237 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

A pair of guys that are more rounded than Hudler.Hudler isn't gonna score 70.Get the f*** over yourself.Armstrong will score more than 30 points.

You're high if you think Armstrong can even hold a candle to Hudler offensively. I mean sure, Hudler can't touch Armstrong's Selke quality defensive play (lol) but then again Armstrong does fight, is known for dirty hits and takes selfish penalties due to a lack of discipline, so that's really what you were aiming at, right?

Because if there's one thing the play of the Wings taught us this year it's that we need more grinders and not more top 6 players. Right? :lol: I guess that's the benefit of leading the league in scoring like the Wings did this year.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#238 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:24 PM

I said that I didn't think they would be. What I said is that Armstrong would be better for this team. Detroit is moving away from 3 scoring lines and a 4th line and more into a 2 scoring line grind line 4th line team.

Based on?

Posted Image

#239 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:28 PM

Yeah-- Jiri Hudler, the guy who was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings and played for 4 years for them, won't fit in the Wings system.

Based on?

Well they're definitely not basing that off statistics. :lol:

I'm assuming you didn't watch the playoffs in 2008 because that's a retarded statement if you did.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#240 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

Am I really seeing an Armstrong>Hudler debate? wtf is going on here?