• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

#241 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

Drake are you really expecting them to back up anything they are saying with anything that remotely resembles logic.

These are the guys saying a player who has never played in the Wings system is better suited than a guy that was already in the Wings system. And they are basing that off of the fact that said player scored fewer points while playing with superior talent than Hudler did.

See where I am going here, your logic is not working on them young Jedi!

Edit:
Oh oh oh, I forgot the main reason why he fits is he is NA and will fight, can't forget that, even though the Red Wings just had their worst season in about 19 years and showed a serious lack of scoring depth, what they really need is a guy willing to throw down!

Edited by Opie, 21 April 2010 - 09:34 PM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#242 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

I'm all for taking a North American over a shady country jumping Euro, but there's no debating between Huddles and Armstrong.

#243 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:33 PM

I'm all for taking a North American over a shady country jumping Euro, but there's no debating between Huddles and Armstrong.

:lol:

Loving your vocabulary.

Posted Image

#244 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:34 PM

Drake are you really expecting them to back up anything they are saying with anything that remotely resembles logic.

These are the guys saying a player who has never played in the Wings system is better suited than a guy that was already in the Wings system. And they are basing that off of the fact that said player scored fewer points while playing with superior talent than Hudler did.

See where I am going here, your logic is not working on them young Jedi!

I find it entertaining to continually challenge them with facts, reasoning and logic, though. The more they ignore this the more foolish they look.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#245 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:08 PM

I have no idea who this Armstrong guy is, but scoring near;y 60 points in pretty limited time in a season is quite impressive. And a post I read that Hudler is invisible in the playoffs is absurd. He's not the greatest thing since sliced bread but if he "disappears" in the playoffs, so do a lot of other NHLers in the postseason not named Zetterberg, Crosby, etc. Not wanting him on the team is one thing but don't sound like he is this awful player.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 21 April 2010 - 10:08 PM.

#246 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

:rolleyes:

It's going to be fun watching you guys squirm next season with Hudler back in the lineup.

It's going to be even more fun watching you squirm next season when Hudler disappears in the playoffs (again)
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#247 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

It's going to be even more fun watching you squirm next season when Hudler disappears in the playoffs (again)

Didn't seem to disappear in the playoffs in 2008 when it counted most. Remember SCF game 4 perhaps? Had a respectable 2009 playoffs. Just two full playoff seasons so far and he's been solid.

Again, not saying he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if he underperforms, so do a majority of the NHLers with postseason experience. You are getting a wee bit ridiculous in undervaluing him.

#248 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:29 PM

Didn't seem to disappear in the playoffs in 2008 when it counted most. Remember SCF game 4 perhaps? Had a respectable 2009 playoffs. Just two full playoff seasons so far and he's been solid.

Again, not saying he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if he underperforms, so do a majority of the NHLers with postseason experience. You are getting a wee bit ridiculous in undervaluing him.

I just hope he works on his defensive game.Not a totally worthless player.Not an all star.imo he's just not what we're looking for tho.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#249 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:18 AM

I just hope he works on his defensive game.Not a totally worthless player.Not an all star.imo he's just not what we're looking for tho.

Sure he is. We have defensive players for the PK and late game situations. What we don't have is depth scoring.

Posted Image

#250 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:15 AM

:thumbup:
He's had 3 GWG in the last two playoff seasons. Hardly invisible.

Edited by MidMichSteve, 22 April 2010 - 08:15 AM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#251 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:30 AM

I didn't see a lack of scoring as a big problem this year - with seemingly half our roster (mostly soft Euros) out with injuries (probably faking), the wings still scored at a better clip than the average team did.

On the plus side w/ Hudler, he did get into a fight this year. Granted it was with another soft Euro and was probably mostly slapping and hair-pulling, but itís a start. Any indication that he is interested in becoming a complete player is a welcome one. I think Huds is gonna be the powerforward I've been clamoring for.

Here's hoping he comes back next year and has grown into a legitimate top-6 forard who can score, hit, fight and be defensively responsable. You don't have to excell at all of them but as long as you're willing and game and try your best at each, I like you. Welcome back, Huds!
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#252 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:00 AM

Another example that we lack more offense than defense is the fact the we have a Selke nominee (winner last year) who isn't even playing on the PK. We also have Filppula and Zetterberg, both who arent among the top4 PK forwards. Then again, we have a guy like Dan Cleary who's obviously not a offensive forward playing on the PP and occasionally on top6.

Yes, the top6 needs also players who have size, but we already have Franzen and Holmstrom. Bertuzzi and Williams will probably be gone and Hudler fits there perfectly. We have the EuroTwins vol. 1 in Datsyuk-Zetterberg and EuroTwins vol. 2 in Filppula-Hudler.

I see no scenario where Armstrong or any armstrong-type player would be better fit for this team.

Also about the toughness thing and Hudler being "invicible" in the playoffs. The game is divided to offense and defense. Toughness can be part of both, but at the end only the result matters, not the way you do it. Many times players who are tougher get more points in the playoffs because the game style changes a bit and the refs don't make calls so easily. It's the result that matters and obviously when you look at the points Hudler has been ok or good in the playoffs in his role (3rd liner). Armstrong has no actual proof that he's better than Hudler in the playoffs.

I don't care if you score a goal by crashing the net or by deking the defender. It really doesn't matter to me. Obviously, for some guys here, style points matter more than the actual outcome.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 22 April 2010 - 09:03 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#253 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:15 AM

You're high if you think Armstrong can even hold a candle to Hudler offensively. I mean sure, Hudler can't touch Armstrong's Selke quality defensive play (lol) but then again Armstrong does fight, is known for dirty hits and takes selfish penalties due to a lack of discipline, so that's really what you were aiming at, right?

Because if there's one thing the play of the Wings taught us this year it's that we need more grinders and not more top 6 players. Right? :lol: I guess that's the benefit of leading the league in scoring like the Wings did this year.

:huh:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#254 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

In '08 Hudler turned a line with Darren McCarty and Kris Draper into a scoring line.

Hudler has scored at a .50 PPG pace in the regular season and a .55 PPG pace in the playoffs... where scoring is down approximately 20%.
That is the exact opposite of someone "disappearing in the playoffs".
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#255 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

:huh:

Sarcasm.

Red Wings were 7th in goals against but only 14th in goals for. And people think we lack defense.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#256 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:25 AM

Where's all this "disappears in the playoffs" nonsense coming from. Hudler has 28 points in 51 playoff games which equates to .55 points per game. In the regular season Hudler has 127 points in 255 games which is .50 points per game. How is that disappearing?

#257 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:26 AM

Sarcasm.

Red Wings were 7th in goals against but only 14th in goals for. And people think we lack defense.

Ahh - it sometimes goes over my head :rolleyes:

I'm thru with Hudler bashing; I made my points; many here seem to know where I stand; whether we like it, or not - Huddles is gonna don the Winged Wheel for the 2010/2011 NHL season.

I honestly hope he's in great shape, has extra jump in them little legs, and scores 30 plus goals on 1 of the top 2 lines, plays with a little "edge", and proves me wrong in every aspect of the game that I questioned him in.

I've eaten crow before so the taste isn't new to me :P

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#258 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

In '08 Hudler turned a line with Darren McCarty and Kris Draper into a scoring line.

He must be even more amazing than anyone realized to do that, what with only playing with a line of McCarty and Draper 1.73% of the time.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#259 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:41 AM

He must be even more amazing than anyone realized to do that, what with only playing with a line of McCarty and Draper 1.73% of the time.

Oops, confused Draper and Helm.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#260 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:41 AM

I didn't see a lack of scoring as a big problem this year - with seemingly half our roster (mostly soft Euros) out with injuries (probably faking), the wings still scored at a better clip than the average team did.

On the plus side w/ Hudler, he did get into a fight this year. Granted it was with another soft Euro and was probably mostly slapping and hair-pulling, but itís a start. Any indication that he is interested in becoming a complete player is a welcome one. I think Huds is gonna be the powerforward I've been clamoring for.

Here's hoping he comes back next year and has grown into a legitimate top-6 forard who can score, hit, fight and be defensively responsable. You don't have to excell at all of them but as long as you're willing and game and try your best at each, I like you. Welcome back, Huds!

He's probably as much of a power forward then Leino is. :rolleyes:

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien