• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

#101 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:47 AM

Dwarfism, in medicine, is the condition of being undersized, or less than 127 cm (50 inches) in height. The term midget is usually applied to physically well-proportioned dwarfs.

Hudler is taller than 50 inches as 50 inches = 4'2 (50 /12 = 4 remainder 2 inches), therefore no he is not. (although I doubt he is the listed 5'9)

But as I said haterz gonna hate.

You are 6'2 yet have how many NHL, KHL, Czech Team goals do you have?

mmmm is height really what makes great hockey players?

Or is it the Bow Leggedness that was rumored long ago (not sure if you have ever heard the expression show me a bow legged french man and I will show you a hockey player.)

Either way I am still having a hard time correlating height to NHL skill level, as Chara is the tallest guy in the league but has no Hart trophies, and even gets beaten out yearly in an award designed specifically for him to compete against only people of his position, well if he is the tallest in the league than with out a doubt he must be the tallest D-man, surely he must be the best.

How much taller than Hudler is Crosby? Is that what makes the talent gap difference, the 2 inches (probably 3) is the reason why Crosby is so much greater than Hudler.

And guys like Theo Fluery have proven sizes matters for little more than an attribute in Hockey.

So I ask why does his size matter other than it gives you something to criticize. He takes a licking and keeps on ticking. How many times has he been lit up at center ice only to never miss a shift.

AH that's it! The fact that he is a midget and has different bone structure than the rest of us and that explains it, so you weren't hating. I had it all wrong you trying to show us all that being a midget was a bonus!

Silly me!

PS most of this is me being sarcastic you are just hating for the sake of hating.

Posted Image

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#102 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

PS most of this is me being sarcastic you are just hating for the sake of hating.

Strawman arguments? I told you I was being sarcastic???

Read much?

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#103 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:58 AM

Strawman arguments? I told you I was being sarcastic???

Read much?

Quite a bit, yes - but not as much as I'd like to.

You made a dumb argument, you knew it was dumb, so you added "I'm being sarcastic", thinking that doing so would allow you to post drivel without consequesnce. That's against internet law. Look it up.

Also, Jiri Hudler is a midget.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#104 deetroit dario

deetroit dario

i ride on two wheels, and they both have wings!

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

poopies!

there, i feel i've added to this discourse with a level of maturity on par with whats been previously posted. though i'll say, for the record, that my daddy can beat up all of your daddies...

welcome back, huds!!
RAISE #16 TO THE RAFTERS!!!

i think, therefore i'm rare.

#105 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

Dwarfism, in medicine, is the condition of being undersized, or less than 127 cm (50 inches) in height. The term midget is usually applied to physically well-proportioned dwarfs.

Hudler is taller than 50 inches as 50 inches = 4'2 (50 /12 = 4 remainder 2 inches), therefore no he is not. (although I doubt he is the listed 5'9)

But as I said haterz gonna hate.

You are 6'2 yet have how many NHL, KHL, Czech Team goals do you have?

mmmm is height really what makes great hockey players?

Or is it the Bow Leggedness that was rumored long ago (not sure if you have ever heard the expression show me a bow legged french man and I will show you a hockey player.)

Either way I am still having a hard time correlating height to NHL skill level, as Chara is the tallest guy in the league but has no Hart trophies, and even gets beaten out yearly in an award designed specifically for him to compete against only people of his position, well if he is the tallest in the league than with out a doubt he must be the tallest D-man, surely he must be the best.

How much taller than Hudler is Crosby? Is that what makes the talent gap difference, the 2 inches (probably 3) is the reason why Crosby is so much greater than Hudler.

And guys like Theo Fluery have proven sizes matters for little more than an attribute in Hockey.

So I ask why does his size matter other than it gives you something to criticize. He takes a licking and keeps on ticking. How many times has he been lit up at center ice only to never miss a shift.

AH that's it! The fact that he is a midget and has different bone structure than the rest of us and that explains it, so you weren't hating. I had it all wrong you trying to show us all that being a midget was a bonus!

Silly me!

Chara has the last norris trophy taken from Nick Lidstrom so Chara proved he was the most dominant defenseman in the league. Hudler has yet to prove to Babcock he deserves more then third line minutes.

And yeah you can say he gets a licking and takes it and blah blah but when was the last time Hudler dished out a licking? You gotta be able to dish it out a bit in hockey. Small guys like Fleury and Terrible Ted were pretty feisty guys, Hudler isn't. Nor does Hudler have world class talent like a guy like St louis. He has below average speed, physicality and defensive awareness but is good on the PP. Thats about it.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#106 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:50 PM

Hudler has yet to prove to Babcock he deserves more then third line minutes.

Last year Hudler was tied 70th in points (57) and tied 102nd in ppg (0.70) among forwards.

There are 3x30=90 "1st line forwards" and 6x30=180 "top6 forwards" in the NHL. Hudler was a 1st line forward in terms of points and still a top6 forwad in terms of points per game.

Plus, he did all this playing on the 3rd line most of the time.

No matter how you look at it, Jiri Hudler is a top6 forward in the NHL and definitely a good one too.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 19 April 2010 - 02:52 PM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#107 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

Chara has the last norris trophy taken from Nick Lidstrom so Chara proved he was the most dominant defenseman in the league.

Chara was statistically worse than Lidstrom that year. It was a case of Lidstrom having a sub-par first half and the media clinging to that as much as possible.

Chara was not better than Lidstrom last year.

Hudler has yet to prove to Babcock he deserves more then third line minutes.

And yeah you can say he gets a licking and takes it and blah blah but when was the last time Hudler dished out a licking? You gotta be able to dish it out a bit in hockey. Small guys like Fleury and Terrible Ted were pretty feisty guys, Hudler isn't. Nor does Hudler have world class talent like a guy like St louis. He has below average speed, physicality and defensive awareness but is good on the PP. Thats about it.

If Hudler can get 57 points on the 3rd line I really don't care. The guy has proven he can hack it in the NHL and provide offense. He is going to play for the Wings next year and he is going to provide offense they need.

Posted Image

#108 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

No matter how you look at it, Jiri Hudler is a top6 forward in the NHL and definitely a good one too.

You could look at him as being not good enough for our 1st or 2nd line last year, not good enough to stay with his KHL team next year and not good enough to make the Olympics, that's another way.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#109 deetroit dario

deetroit dario

i ride on two wheels, and they both have wings!

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

Chara was statistically worse than Lidstrom that year. It was a case of Lidstrom having a sub-par first half and the media clinging to that as much as possible.

Chara was not better than Lidstrom last year.

If Hudler can get 57 points on the 3rd line I really don't care. The guy has proven he can hack it in the NHL and provide offense. He is going to play for the Wings next year and he is going to provide offense they need.

and that, i believe, is the real and ONLY point. everything else, be it dwarvism or where and how he scored his points or whether or not he's a traitor, is just fan-to-fan dick measuring. he's coming back, he's being welcomed with open arms by his teammates and management. period. so can we please whine and complain about something currently relevant?
RAISE #16 TO THE RAFTERS!!!

i think, therefore i'm rare.

#110 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

Mlive just kinda confirmed that hudler will return next season. Wahh hoo happy is coming back!
http://blog.mlive.co...rward_ji_6.html

#111 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:25 PM

I hope he comes back next year, plays a complete 2-way physical game, scores 75 points, stays away from hookers and proves all his detractors wrong. That would be awesome.

#112 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

You could look at him as being not good enough for our 1st or 2nd line last year, not good enough to stay with his KHL team next year and not good enough to make the Olympics, that's another way.

I prefer to look at him as being good enough to provide tons of value from whatever role he was slotted on two very good Red Wings teams, good enough to take all those Ruskies' money before coming back to a real hockey league, and laughing all the way to the bank with it while the Czech Olympic squad tanked to a non-medal finish, that's my way. :D

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown, 19 April 2010 - 03:30 PM.

"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#113 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

We had much better offense last year. You do remeber this guy, Marian Hossa?

Not too good to stay with the KHL team? He wants to come here. Dynamo is merging with MDV and his contract will end because of that. Has nothing to do with how good he is, but I'm pretty sure most teams in the KHL would want him.

I don't know what the Czech coach was thinking on that one. Although they have pretty good guys on offense and Hudler's not a 4th liner type. But look what happened to them. Ended up being 7th(?).
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#114 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

This thread is a good reminder that some people won't be happy with Hudler - or any other Wings pickup - unless he gets 200 penalty minutes and/or 100 points.

Right now, I'd take the 57 points he had last year in place of Williams and/or Bert. Phoenix is beating the Wings with speed. Hudler has that.

#115 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

Mlive just kinda confirmed that hudler will return next season. Wahh hoo happy is coming back!
http://blog.mlive.co...rward_ji_6.html

:thumbup:

Although I'm probably in the minority here, I'm happy Hudler's coming back. I loved having him on the team and I will welcome him back to Detroit with open arms.

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#116 robat

robat

PAVELTECHNO

• Bronze Booster
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:56 PM

COME HOME JIRI!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#117 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

I hear he's one helluva partyer!

#118 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:10 PM

Chara has the last norris trophy taken from Nick Lidstrom so Chara proved he was the most dominant defenseman in the league. Hudler has yet to prove to Babcock he deserves more then third line minutes.

I don't recall Hudler's ferocious back checking either.Good on the power play yes.Everything else not so much.Too one-dimensional.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#119 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:07 AM

I don't recall Hudler's ferocious back checking either.Good on the power play yes.Everything else not so much.Too one-dimensional.

Let's take a look at forwards who have played so far in the playoffs, and who are better at some of the most important skills in hockey:

Skating: Datsyuk, Franzen, Zetterberg, Filppula, Helm, Miller, Cleary, Abdelkader, Draper, Eaves, Williams
Shooting: Datsyuk, Franzen, Zetterberg
Playmaking: Datsyuk
Puckhandling: Datsyuk, Zetterberg
Defense: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Helm, Miller, Cleary, Abdelkader, Draper, Eaves

Despite how he compares to the team, Hudler is still above average in Skating and Defense, and as you would expect in the other three he ranks among the better players in the league.
Physicality is the only skill he really lacks, and that is simply a size issue. He is a feisty player, he simply doesn't have the size to be an Iginla or a Shanahan plowing through opposing defenses. If he possessed a 6-4, 230lb frame, he'd be the best player in the world.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#120 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:15 AM

I hope he comes back next year, plays a complete 2-way physical game, scores 75 points, stays away from hookers and proves all his detractors wrong. That would be awesome.

Hookers are so misunderstood.

Hudler in, Willie out. Whats to discuss? Other than trading someone for a legit top 4 defenceman?
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...