• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 blues_demitra38

blues_demitra38

Rookie

• Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

A lot of people have abused Todd for his lack of intensity and physical play so this thread is aimed to appreciate the man who "calls the goalie Suzy."

In Game 2, Bertuzzi's willingness to take a hit to make a play led to Filppula's first goal, his instinct to throw the puck on net as Zetterberg was crashing it let to Z's second goal and him going to the front of the net to give Bryzgalov and the Coyote d-men all they can handle led to Filppula's second goal.

He ended the night with two points but played a key role in three of the seven goals scored in Game 2. While he may not be big, bad Bert from his Vancouver heyday he has shown that he will certainly a play a big role on this team if they are to make a Stanley Cup run with his good hands and hockey IQ.

Edited by blues_demitra38, 18 April 2010 - 01:25 PM.

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,049 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

He has played better this season than anyone expected, but many of us are frustrated that he doesn't use his body more often and goes for stretches where he seems to be floating out there.

The key with him is consistency and being a physical presence. He doesn't always give us those things, and we ask for them because he's bigger than any other forward that we have.

I know his skill set has dropped off, but I remember in Vancouver he was known for crushing the opposition with Lindros-like forechechecking. I can't remember him crushing anyone this season with a hit.

People always bring up the Moore incident, but I don't see what that has to do with him not being as physical anymore. There's certainly a fine line between playing physical and doing what he did to Moore.

I'm glad that he's scoring, but he's got the size that none of our other forwards have, and I want to see him uze it, because that would make us a harder team to play against.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

People always bring up the Moore incident, but I don't see what that has to do with him not being as physical anymore. There's certainly a fine line between playing physical and doing what he did to Moore.

Me neither, but the likely culprit is that he has a bad back. Injury concerns was part of the reason the Wings got him on the cheap, but fortune seems to favor him this season seeing as he's played every game.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#4 blues_demitra38

blues_demitra38

Rookie

• Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:46 PM

In fairness to him, he probably doesn't wanna go anywhere near that road again (cheap shots, dirty hits, etc.). Think about all the physical players in today's game (Ovechkin, Downie, etc.) that have injured someone because of their physical play. A player turning into the boards too soon or looking the wrong way will open a new can of worms I'm sure he wants no part of. The fact that he's changed his game since the Moore Incident is no coincidence, he's a man who's built a reputation and is slowly trying to clear his name. So far, I think he's done a good job of that. But to say he's ineffective is not only unfair but downright false. The Wings brass knew they weren't signing Betuzzi circa '03 but that doesn't mean he's not a valuable asset.

#5 daniel1

daniel1

#40 - UNSTOPPABLE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

He has played better this season than anyone expected, but many of us are frustrated that he doesn't use his body more often and goes for stretches where he seems to be floating out there.

The key with him is consistency and being a physical presence. He doesn't always give us those things, and we ask for them because he's bigger than any other forward that we have.

I know his skill set has dropped off, but I remember in Vancouver he was known for crushing the opposition with Lindros-like forechechecking. I can't remember him crushing anyone this season with a hit.

I'm glad that he's scoring, but he's got the size that none of our other forwards have, and I want to see him uze it, because that would make us a harder team to play against.

Completely agree with you I do. He used to be a mean SOB in the corners, on the forecheck and along the boards. Now it seems like he's afraid to really HIT anyone, I'm not sure if he's worried about getting injured or if his balls fell off or what, but it would be nice to see him crush a few people with that 240lb frame of his. His skating definitely has taken a step back from his Vancouver days but he could still work guys over on the boards and in the corners if he wanted to. He's done better than I expected, but still hasn't sold me on re-signing him next year. I guess we'll see as the playoffs move on if he picks up the physical play and becomes more of a hunter rather than always being the hunted. We have enough little white rabbits out there getting crushed against the boards, what we really need are a few guys to become predators and initiate - Stuart, Kronner, Cleary, Ericcson, Lilja, Abby, Bert, Mule - we are talking to YOU.
"And? If I did, I probably would have been a fighter, so what?"

Who knows; maybe you would realize that enforcers in hockey are critical to a teams chemistry and overall success?

#6 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

Bert's contributions are underrated.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#7 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

I for one am happy with Bertuzzi and think he is looking great on his new line. We'd all like for him to be more physical but I think he has changed his game in order to remain healthy. Back problems are always there to be re-injured and trust me they are no fun to deal with. He can't be the bruiser he once was but I think he can still use his unique set of skill and size to drive to the net harder and more often. Having a successful season like this to build on is a great step on securing an important role and I hope he stays on with us and keeps re-establsihing himself in a new role. Keep it up Bertuzzi,lookin good!

#8 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

I thought Bert was great today, actually played a bit physical, made smart passes, took good shots, just got robbed. If he had corraled those 2 almost breakaway passes who knows how todays game would've turned out. Good to see him getting better as the series goes along.

#NOMOREKINDL

#9 vOrophin

vOrophin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

I appreciate Bert now having less finish than Filpulla.

In reality he hasn't been playing badly, but he has had so many missed opportunities that it makes it seem like he is playing poorly at times.

#10 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

Bert's contributions are underrated.

especially for his low salary.

Edited by Hossa4Life, 18 April 2010 - 06:50 PM.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#11 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

hopefully he isn't back next season
  • DSM likes this

Posted Image

#12 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

if he signed for that cheap again you wouldnt want him? Is it the turn overs that get you? i just think he contributes a lot for his low salary.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#13 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

if he signed for lower than his current cap hit then maybe

but he'll probably make the same or get a raise if he's re-signed.

Posted Image

#14 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

if he signed for lower than his current cap hit then maybe

but he'll probably make the same or get a raise if he's re-signed.

who do you think is better at his price though.

Posted Image

#15 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

Today I thought a manequin on skates would have been just as useful as Bertuzzi was. The puck just bounced off of him.

#16 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

I <3 Bert.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:05 PM

Today I thought a manequin on skates would have been just as useful as Bertuzzi was. The puck just bounced off of him.

he created chances. He even had that called back goal and some other good chances. you have to give him some credit.

Posted Image

#18 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:17 PM

Obviously you can't read. This is an appreciaton thread. Do you understand? :rolleyes:

#19 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

i'm appreciating the possibility of him not being on the team next season :)

Posted Image

#20 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

Bert has surpassed expectations for the Wings this season, I hope he signs up for another season or two. 44 pts for $1.5 million, how can you complain?