• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Blueliner

Ozzy for game 4?

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

They need to win. Howard has looked terrible. 11 goals in three games doesn't get it done in the playoffs. Osgood is a proven winner in the playoffs. 74 career wins to 1. What do you think?

Bryzgalov has let in only two less goals, and he has not been repeatedly hung out to dry by his defense.

Flashes of "No OsSuck, screw him" over the last 4 months are running in my head... To the OP's question, I wish I could say 'yes', I honestly don't think Howard could have a worse go his first playoffs, but Babcock "retired" Osgood in January and there is literally no chance Osgood would be able to shake off that much rust in order to turn it around.

Howard will start game 4. If Howard doesn't improve, Osgood will finish that game and the series most likely. I get that the teams been rough as a whole, but Howard gave up some total backbreaker goals. The first in the first 20 seconds is brutal for a teams momentum, then the end of the 2nd and the worst, that 4th goal...he's gotta be making more of these saves. He absolutely hasn't been theJimmy Howard of the regular season. He had to do it all himself plenty of times, and now is is the playoffs. You need your goalie to be great in the playoffs. Any way you shake it, Howard hasn't been great at all in the playoffs.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Howard doesn't get to 74 playoff wins if you give up on him now. Ozzie wasn't always Mr. Playoff's you know. Not every goalie is going to pull a Ken Dryden in their rookie season. Extreme overreaction.

Bryzgalov has let in only two less goals, and he has not been repeatedly hung out to dry by his defense.

On top of that this was Jimmy's first playoff home game-- we'll have to see how he bounces back. He's been able to bounce back really well so far in the regular season so I can only assume he will in game 4.

The point is that Howard is our goaltending future-- hiding him on the bench won't solve anything long-term.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Howard doesn't get to 74 playoff wins if you give up on him now. Ozzie wasn't always Mr. Playoff's you know. Not every goalie is going to pull a Ken Dryden in their rookie season. Extreme overreaction.

There's a difference between trading him ASAP and sitting our rookie goalie on the bench to watch in exchange for the best playoff goalie of the last two years with 3 Cups to his name.

As far as I'm concerned, I really understand that Howard is green in the playoffs and he was going to get some lumps. I'm more pissed off that Babcock bet the farm on Howard since December and now we have the best playoff goaltender in the last two seasons rusted pass the point of no return.

Babcock doesn't seem to inspire the team, he plays favorites constantly, and now he has a rookie goaltender that is looking pretty sad between the pipes while the one he owns a ring to is taking stats.

You'd figure people around here would think twice before they count Osgood out. How many times does this guy need to shut up media and fans alike? But alas.

As far as Ozzie in for Howard? Tough one. Ozzie in the Philly game look horrible the first period (to be expected...hardly plays). But the 2nd and 3rd period he was getting better and better. Only let in 3 goals that game...rusty... I mean RUSTY. But the play-offs are a diffrent beast. Ozzie has proven he can handle it, but would it be enough? Honestly none of us know, not even the self proclaimed couch coaches.

After todays game, there's a time a time where a player has to step up big. It was Howies time to shine...he dropped the ball with that 4th goal. He knew it, just look at the body language after the goal.

I say one more game. If we win next game 6-4 or 7-5, I say play Osgood. Even rusty, against a high scoring philly team, he let in 3 goals rusty. If we lose big next game I say play Ozzie. If we lose 1-0 or 2-1..then I say keep playing Howie.

On top of that this was Jimmy's first playoff home game-- we'll have to see how he bounces back. He's been able to bounce back really well so far in the playoffs so I can only assume he will in game 4.

The point is that Howard is our goaltending future-- hiding him on the bench won't solve anything long-term.

funny-pictures-racoon-yes.jpg

As I mentioned in the GDT, I believe Babcock's married to him.

This may be a bit out of left field, but I think if Osgood had responded with a solid or spectacular effort when he made his start in Philadelphia then Babcock may look more toward him if Howard continues to falter in Game 4. As it stands, I'd be shocked to see Osgood in anything other than mop-up duty.

Not a chance.

Sorry the Wings aren't a s***ty ran team like Washington that just changes goalies day to day.

Jimmy needs to prove himself, and the Wings actually need to come to play in front of him.

This.

Howard would have to let in several Legace-like backbreaking goals before they should yank him to put in Ozzy.

And even then it would be a desperate move. The Wings would probably get a delay of game penalty as they waited for Ozzy to get all the dust off his pads.

The biggest thing with Howard is confidence. I think once he gets it he's unflappable, but Game 4 will be the ultimate determining factor of that. The 4th goal was situationally devastating but the other three I'd blame more on his defense (with a dash of inability to control rebounds).

On top of that this was Jimmy's first playoff home game-- we'll have to see how he bounces back. He's been able to bounce back really well so far in the playoffs so I can only assume he will in game 4.

I agree with some points, I guess. But bounce back REALLY WELL so far?? By that do you mean letting in 4 goals, 2 of which came right after Wings goals to kill momentum in the womb?? If Bryzgalov had played to half of his potential, this series would be 3-0 'Yotes with a chance to sweep. I said it after Game 2, if the Wings need to get 6 goals passed Bryzgalov to win, they are screwed.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

There's a difference between trading him ASAP and sitting our rookie goalie on the bench to watch in exchange for the best playoff goalie of the last two years with 3 Cups to his name.

To watch Osgood do just as bad? This team has one option in goal and his name is Jimmy Howard. It's glaringly obvious and it doesn't matter who you have allegiances to.

Two Cups while playing, one while watching.

This is why people calling for Ozzy to start more than 1 game in the last few months weren't just blind Ozzy homers. It'd be nice to have the OPTION to go to him, but we really don't have that.

Howard should start game 4 anyway. If he sucks and we lose, I'd go to Ozzy for game 5. Not that it would really matter after that.