• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#21 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:19 PM

If Howard lets in a couple of softies early in Game 4, yes it's Ozzie time. No way does Ozzie start Game 4 though.

In Howard we have to trust.

#22 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:19 PM

The biggest thing with Howard is confidence. I think once he gets it he's unflappable, but Game 4 will be the ultimate determining factor of that. The 4th goal was situationally devastating but the other three I'd blame more on his defense (with a dash of inability to control rebounds).

#23 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

On top of that this was Jimmy's first playoff home game-- we'll have to see how he bounces back. He's been able to bounce back really well so far in the playoffs so I can only assume he will in game 4.

The point is that Howard is our goaltending future-- hiding him on the bench won't solve anything long-term.

I agree with some points, I guess. But bounce back REALLY WELL so far?? By that do you mean letting in 4 goals, 2 of which came right after Wings goals to kill momentum in the womb?? If Bryzgalov had played to half of his potential, this series would be 3-0 'Yotes with a chance to sweep. I said it after Game 2, if the Wings need to get 6 goals passed Bryzgalov to win, they are screwed.

#24 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

There's a difference between trading him ASAP and sitting our rookie goalie on the bench to watch in exchange for the best playoff goalie of the last two years with 3 Cups to his name.

To watch Osgood do just as bad? This team has one option in goal and his name is Jimmy Howard. It's glaringly obvious and it doesn't matter who you have allegiances to.

Two Cups while playing, one while watching.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#25 digitaljohn88

digitaljohn88

Sexy Wings!

• PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

This is why people calling for Ozzy to start more than 1 game in the last few months weren't just blind Ozzy homers. It'd be nice to have the OPTION to go to him, but we really don't have that.

Howard should start game 4 anyway. If he sucks and we lose, I'd go to Ozzy for game 5. Not that it would really matter after that.

#26 JerBaz

JerBaz

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

They need to win. Howard has looked terrible. 11 goals in three games doesn't get it done in the playoffs. Osgood is a proven winner in the playoffs. 74 career wins to 1. What do you think?

From a defensive standpoint, I think it needs to be done. Howard was solid in the regular season, but I think his inexperience going for the Cup has gotten to him. He over-commits on first moves and leaves the opposition a wide open net. Osgood is, like you said, a proven winner, and was clutch during our last two runs to the Cup Finals. I think now is the time to let Ozzie play; he was put into the thick of the action in 2008 when we needed him, and lo, and behold, we won the Stanley Cup.

The defense as a whole must improve, but we need a stronger man between the pipes.

#27 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

To watch Osgood do just as bad? This team has one option in goal and his name is Jimmy Howard. It's glaringly obvious and it doesn't matter who you have allegiances to.

Two Cups while playing, one while watching.

Not really a "fan" of any player on the team. But I have seen your replies. You will stop at anything to give a quick jab towards Osgood. You would think he would have shut up people like you after all these years. Guess not, though. Shoot 'em while their down. I guess you may have forgotten that Osgood played, cold...and rusty...agaist a hot Philly team. Not to mention they are playing desperate to make the play-offs and also are a high scoring team. He only let in 3 goals. So I think he could get it done once he gets warmed up. All he needs is 1 period.

Seriously though, I believe you, and like a few others, would rather see the Wings fail in the 1st round to get Howard some experience than the possiblity Osgood taking this team to another possible cup run. And nobody here knows if he can do it or not...Christ I just wish the fans would just root for the team than an individual.

Edited by Dynheart, 18 April 2010 - 05:31 PM.

#28 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

If Ozzy gets a chance these playoffs I have a feeling he will be pissed off and wanting to "I'll show you" for leaving me on the bench all year long, might be another chapter in the story of how Ozzy is so under rated and over looked.

I think Howard is in to start game 4 unless he shows huge signs of loss of confidence in practice over the next 2 days, but the warning light has gone off, Osgood should be ready in case Howard lets in a really crappy early goals at home. The joe will jump all over him.

#29 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

i hope they play howard no matter what

Edited by Lidstromboli, 18 April 2010 - 05:31 PM.

Posted Image

#30 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

Not really a "fan" of any player on the team. But I have seen your replies. You will stop at anything to give a quick jab towards Osgood. You would think he would have shut up people like you after all these years. Guess not, though. Shoot 'em while their down. I guess you may have forgotten that Osgood played, cold...and rusty...agaist a hot Philly team. Not to mention they are playing desperate to make the play-offs and also are a high scoring team. He only let in 3 goals. So I think he could get it done once he gets warmed up. All he needs is 1 period.

Seriously though, I believe you, and like a few others, would rather see the Wings fail in the 1st round to get Howard some experience than the possiblity Osgood taking this team to another possible cup run. And nobody here knows if he can do it or not...Christ I just wish the fans would just root for the team than an individual.

Osgood sucks. :ph34r:

#31 HD30

HD30

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

From a defensive standpoint, I think it needs to be done. Howard was solid in the regular season, but I think his inexperience going for the Cup has gotten to him. He over-commits on first moves and leaves the opposition a wide open net. Osgood is, like you said, a proven winner, and was clutch during our last two runs to the Cup Finals. I think now is the time to let Ozzie play; he was put into the thick of the action in 2008 when we needed him, and lo, and behold, we won the Stanley Cup.

The defense as a whole must improve, but we need a stronger man between the pipes.

The regular season ozzie of 08 isn't the same as this season ozzie. I really do like Osgood and all, but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting him in just because of how few games he's played, not even having anything to do with his ability.

#32 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

This.

Howard would have to let in several Legace-like backbreaking goals before they should yank him to put in Ozzy.

And even then it would be a desperate move. The Wings would probably get a delay of game penalty as they waited for Ozzy to get all the dust off his pads.

How about a goal 20 seconds into the game?

Then how about another with 30 seconds left in the 2nd to surrender a 2-1 lead?

Then how about another 1:30 after we regained momentum and cut their lead to 1 with 10 minutes left in the 3rd?

I'm not saying they were all the softest goals the world has seen, but they were all brutal goals to surrender, if at times not utterly soft and backbreaking as well.

I like Howard and i think he's got a future here, but I want to see them go to Osgood if Howard doesn't come out ready and on fire Tuesday. I'd go so far as to say that if he let's in 3 goals, it's time to go to Osgood. Osgood very well may be too rusty, but I'm not about to count him out either.

And if anything, Howard needs to learn now what it takes. He needs to know the stakes. Getting pulled could end up being a good thing for him as he can still learn from it. And it's a simple lesson: the only way to win in the playoffs is to give your best effort every game. We have yet to see anything close to Howard's best in this post-season.

And I think he has only one more chance to prove otherwise...
-Elliot...does not panic.

#33 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

i had to miss most of the game does anyone have the game highlights.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#34 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

Some people forget how bad ozzie was this here.

Howard isn't playing too great, but ozzie would be horrible :/

Posted Image

#35 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

I don't blame Howard for these losses. Yeah, he gave up that 4th goal that he should have had, but the team is just as fault as he is. He needs to stay in, the team needs to play better.

#36 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

How about a goal 20 seconds into the game?

Then how about another with 30 seconds left in the 2nd to surrender a 2-1 lead?

Then how about another 1:30 after we regained momentum and cut their lead to 1 with 10 minutes left in the 3rd?

.... or the Wolski goal in Game 2, 40 seconds after Zetterberg tied the game?

.... or the Lombardi goal in Game 2, 50 seconds after Datsyuk tied the game?

.... or the Arnott goal.... oops that was Hasek in 2008 :ph34r:

(you should get the point)

Some people forget how bad ozzie was this here.

Howard isn't playing too great, but ozzie would be horrible :/

Easy to forget, he hasn't played more than 1 game/month since December.

#37 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

Osgood won't be any better. It's Howard or bust.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#38 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

its pretty funny watching these kind of threads. The older red wings fans all want osgood and all the younger guys want howard. Could be wrong but its just a trend i have noticed.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#39 Reilly

Reilly

Winning debates all across LGW.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

Unless Howard stinks the joint out, you've got to ride him the rest of the way.

#40 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

Osgood won't be any better. It's Howard or bust.

I agree. Osgood is too rusty to turn it around in time to save the series. Thanks, Babcock!