• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#141 Dano33

Dano33

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:30 AM

You're right. I don't "know" Howard is tired. I don't "know" Ozzie would be able to turn it on. If you play that game no one knows anything.

Here's what I do know, 3.7 That is Howard's GAA, and .889 that is Howard's Save % against the 24th ranked offense in the NHL, and an uncanny ability to give up untimely goals.

I'm not buying that Howard is the future, I think the future just played his first season in the AHL this year. Howard has not made great strides in my eyes in the areas he needs to correct. He is the Human Pinball Machine.

As amazingly unfair it would be to Ozzie to throw him in Game 4 after only playing in 2 games in 2010 (thanks babs) I would rather go down swinging with the Vet than doing nothing with the rookie. Ozzie could not play any worse.

We also know that Howard is the reason we are in the playoffs, not Osgood. We know that Osgood wasn't given a single start down the stretch until we clinched a playoff spot. I don't know how anyone can argue in favor of Osgood when Jimmy has had 3 tough games, and Osgood was bad for the entire season. It's not Babcock's fault for not playing Osgood, it's Osgood's fault. The Wings needed to win and Osgood couldn't do that for us. I love the guy, but I just don't think he has anything left.
"I can't believe I shook this guy's friggen hand." -Dino Ciccarelli

"Don't think, just play." -Curtis Granderson, always a Tiger

#142 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:34 AM

We also know that Howard is the reason we are in the playoffs, not Osgood. We know that Osgood wasn't given a single start down the stretch until we clinched a playoff spot. I don't know how anyone can argue in favor of Osgood when Jimmy has had 3 tough games, and Osgood was benched for the entire season. It's Babcock's fault for not playing Osgood as much as it's Osgood's fault. The Wings needed to win and Osgood couldn't do that for us on the second of back-to-backs after a month off. I love the guy, but I just don't think he has anything left.

There you go :D

#143 Dano33

Dano33

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

There you go :D

Osgood got 21 starts and won 1/3 of them. Even when he was getting playing time he was doing the team no favors.

#144 Zohan Franzen

Zohan Franzen

Rookie

• Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

Babcock will play Howard all the way to the end. He is his guy right now, no matter what happend !

#145 TRD604

TRD604

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

http://www.fantasysp...s_Osgood/895733

#146 interminded

interminded

Shiny Happy People

• HoF Booster
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

Babcock dug his grave some time ago.

This is not about Howard or Osgood. It's not about which goaltender we like or who we prefer in goal.
This is about a coach who rendered his backup goaltender virtually useless by keeping him on the bench for an unreasonable amount of games.
And that's just poor coaching in my opinion.

I went to buy some camouflage pants the other day but I couldn't find any.

#147 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

Proof once again that the Red Wings' backup goalie has no rival in popularity, except for the Lions' backup quarterback. Ozzie's the best guy we got, until he plays, then he's the worst, until he sits.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#148 Rockitman

Rockitman

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

Proof once again that the Red Wings' backup goalie has no rival in popularity, except for the Lions' backup quarterback. Ozzie's the best guy we got, until he plays, then he's the worst, until he sits.

:lol: Agreed
C'mon Wings let's fly!!!

#149 motorcitykid

motorcitykid

Red Wings DJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

Not sure which games a few other posters have watched but in 3 games i've seen Howard has done nothing to make the team in front of him feel secure knowing he's back there.
Yes, I have pulled for Jimmy all year and his rookie win total is pretty damn good considering the huge amount of injuries suffered since the season started. But in the playoffs - I don't care about this nonsense about offense being a bigger factor with the big teams in the league - goaltending wins Cups.
This ain't the 80s where you could allow 5 and still win ala The Oilers.
Jimmy needed to make the saves in Game 1, and though 1 mightve been screened. He didn't. Game 2, again, he made mistakes that we survived only because we scored 7. Game 3 - again, not a very inspired performance, with 2 goals that he very much shouldve had.

Goalies make saves not only important ones, but at important TIMES. Howard hasn't. But thinking management is run like the 29 other teams is false. He is our guy. And he's the starter unless next game he's blown out by 7 or 8. Quit asking for Ozzie. He's not coming and nor should we expect him to come in ... Jimmy needs this experience. I sure as hell hope this is the start of a turnaround and the Wings start putting up a few wins in a row.
Yeh PHX hit 50 W's this year, but I refuse to believe that team should be defeating us in a 7 game series.
Even if we win tomorrow, it's just as important to see Howard start showing some confidence out there - some cockiness, although watching Jim since junior I realize that's not exactly his makeup. I don't know. I just don't like the way this series may be shaping up ...

And do Wings fans with longggggg memories a favor and quit s***ting on Ozzie. Babcock over-committed using Howard all season (which I understand why) but he now only has the option of calling a cold and rusty Ozzie. Not really fair. And like it or not it is Howards job to get done.
We ain't down 2-1 because of our offence. 11 goals against in 3 games is not good enough.

And where the hell is Eaves Bertuzzi Miller ??? Guessing they might already be on summer vacation.

Edited by motorcitykid, 19 April 2010 - 02:01 PM.

#150 Rockitman

Rockitman

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

I agree with that, 11 goals in 3 games given up by your netminder is unacceptable even for a rookie... this is the PLAYOFFS if you don't have solid goal tending you are NOT going far period
C'mon Wings let's fly!!!

#151 motorcitykid

motorcitykid

Red Wings DJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

You know that I'm not any sort of a Howard hater. But you know, this is Phoenix and he's looked rough. Can you imagine if we were playing Chicago? Like I said, Osgood very well may be too rusty to pull it off again, but if Howard can't get it together in game 4, you might as well give Osgood a chance. It's not as if he's been injured. He's been practicing. He's not wholly cold. I think in the context of his long career, but especially the last couple years, that Osgood has earned a chance if Howard continues to struggle.

And just as I said earlier, you still learn from the bench. Osgood learned plenty watching Vernon win that first Cup. Sure, he played for only two rings, but that doesn't minimize being a part of winning that 3rd ring. That's why I have no problem with Howard watching. He's still going to learn, and to me, you can "earn your ring" as well as the next guy by watching and learning from the bench.

^^ This.

#152 motorcitykid

motorcitykid

Red Wings DJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:11 PM

I think the fact that having the option to switch to an All-Star in Luongo is a heck of a lot easier a decision than switching to Osgood right now.

Easier switching to a guy with a gold medal than it is switching to a guy with 3 Stanley Cup rings? ARE U F'N KIDDING??? Wow.

Edited by motorcitykid, 19 April 2010 - 02:32 PM.

#153 Dano33

Dano33

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:54 PM

Easier switching to a guy with a gold medal than it is switching to a guy with 3 Stanley Cup rings? ARE U F'N KIDDING??? Wow.

Let's call Ken Dryden, he's got 6 rings. If you would honestly rather have Osgood in net than Luongo then you are the crazy one.

#154 MIN8TV

MIN8TV

Red Wings 11!

• Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

Put em' in!

#155 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

C'me on...really?
Every Wings fan on the planet knew that Jimmy had no experience going into the playoffs and it was the one area that could be suspect. He hasn't been terrible...he has been average and has been hung out to dry by the D at times. Jimmy isnt the problem and Ozzie certainly isnt the solution.

What should be more surprising is that Bryzgalov has opened the door for Detroit to win this series but our F'n offense cant get it together. Sloppy play, turnover after turnover, not finishing checks and slapshots from the point where there is clearly no lane can't happen.
If we play like we did in game 2, this thing is over for them. If we play like we did in game 3, its over for us
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!

#156 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

C'me on...really?
Every Wings fan on the planet knew that Jimmy had no experience going into the playoffs and it was the one area that could be suspect. He hasn't been terrible...he has been average and has been hung out to dry by the D at times. Jimmy isnt the problem and Ozzie certainly isnt the solution.

What should be more surprising is that Bryzgalov has opened the door for Detroit to win this series but our F'n offense cant get it together. Sloppy play, turnover after turnover, not finishing checks and slapshots from the point where there is clearly no lane can't happen.
If we play like we did in game 2, this thing is over for them. If we play like we did in game 3, its over for us

2 or 3 Goals is going to be the average against Bryzgalov, not 5 or 6. That was a fluky game top to bottom and to expect the Wings to get that much production on a goaltender of Bryzgalov's caliber is foolish. This team needs to produce a similiar offensive attack, but they need to shore up defensively if they are going to win this series. Phoenix wins by defense and we are letting them win with their low ranked offense. That can't happen. If the Wings lose this series because of 2-1 losses, thats one thing. But they should not and cannot lose this series in 5-4 games.

#157 HelmerFan

HelmerFan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

We also know that Howard is the reason we are in the playoffs, not Osgood. We know that Osgood wasn't given a single start down the stretch until we clinched a playoff spot. I don't know how anyone can argue in favor of Osgood when Jimmy has had 3 tough games, and Osgood was bad for the entire season. It's not Babcock's fault for not playing Osgood, it's Osgood's fault. The Wings needed to win and Osgood couldn't do that for us. I love the guy, but I just don't think he has anything left.

The last 2 playoff seasons. Period

#158 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

Detroit does turn on their goalies insanely quickly.

Yeupp. And so do the coaches. :ph34r:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#159 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

Love all these armchair coaches that are criticizing Babcock for not playing Osgood.

Like you guys know anything about the situation. Conspiracy theorists at work here, reading more into things then what's there.

I could easily reverse that whole logic on Babcock vs. Osgood by saying Osgood had plenty of chances all season to earn a spot through practice, but his lack of effort and competitiveness could of tied Babcock's hands and required him to play Howard because Osgood was not in shape.

That's easily just as plausible as saying an NHL head coach has a burning hatred for a veteran goaltender that has won him a Stanley Cup in the past. And the coach would risk his job on running a rookie goaltender into the ground just to get back at one of his veteran players.

Come on, stats don't lie, Osgood was awful this season. Howard wasn't. Howard's not playing well so far in these playoffs either, but Howard earned at least 4 games to see what he can do in the playoffs.

This has been one of the hardest season for the Red Wings, with injuries and inconsistency. The lone bright spot was having a rookie goaltender step up and earn a starting job over a future hall of famer.

I love Osgood, Howard and Babcock. And I just don't understand why fans have to be negative and turn their backs on players on a whim.

Have some perspective, Howard has let in soft goals, but the Wings haven't exactly gave him the same cushion as they did down the stretch in the regular season. If the Wings lose Howard is just part of the problem, and I'll go as far as saying he isn't even in the top 2 of the disappointments so far this postseason.

#160 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Love all these armchair coaches that are criticizing Babcock for not playing Osgood.

Miraculously, I...agree with Carman. :blink: