• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:03 AM

Well for my hockey pool I said Wings in 5, so I was wrong there. I'm not going to make a new pick, all I'll say is in 1998 we were down 2-1 to Phoenix in the first round and we ended up winning in 6. I hope history repeats itself.

Good memory!
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#22 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:25 AM

LOL at people saying Wings in 6. There is absolutely no reason to think the Wings will rip off three straight wins. NONE.

It sounds as if you've got a personal problem.

#23 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:25 AM

Wings in 7.

Doan with a (own) GWG in 3rd OT.

#24 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:29 AM

Coyotes in 7.

Hope i'm wrong, Wings can win 3 in a row but if it gets to game 7 i'm afraid Phoenix wins at home.

Posted Image

#25 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:12 AM

My pick was Wings in 5. I really doubt that the Wings can win 3 straight the way they are playing.

Wings in 7 (because I'm a Wings fan).

If I was a PHX fan I would be saying Yotes in 5 and would be able to validate it using several examples of the Wings inability to beat my team 3 times in 4 games, concentrating mostly on goalie, horrible defensive pinching mistakes, and coaching flaws.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#26 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:17 AM

we'll lose in six games.

These two teams have different reasons to play in the play-off. Phoenix just want to go deep. Detroit plays for the Cup. However, our players understand that they cannot win it all this year. That's mental thing. We are much better at playing hockey anyway, we just do not have reasons to put all the efforts and beat them...

Edited by RusDRW, 19 April 2010 - 05:18 AM.

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#27 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:32 AM

LOL at people saying Wings in 6. There is absolutely no reason to think the Wings will rip off three straight wins. NONE.

Sure there is. 1 is because we're fans and that's what we want to see. 2 is that we've seen this team just flip a magic switch time and time again. I'm sure there's more, I just don't feel like delineating all of them :P

Wings in 7.

Doan with a (own) GWG in 3rd OT.

Oh, please, please no. Don't let it get that far, Wings.

I'm standing by my original prediction of Wings in 6.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#28 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

Game 7 Wings win.

#29 legaleaglewingsfan

legaleaglewingsfan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

Starting tomorrow night we begin to remind the league why we ARE the Franchise everyone wishes they were and the two time defending Western Conference Champs. Also to someone who said we are unable to win it all this year, if we give a damn I think the end of the regular season has shown we are capable of anything. We deal with the hot goalie in Phx and I think it gets easier from here this may well be the hardest opponent we see in the playoffs they have the Cinderella feel to them but I think the clock strikes midnight game six in JLA. GO WINGS

#30 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

After yesterday's pathetic effort and no signs of tightening upp defensively Wings will go for a 1st round exit....it sucks to be a red wing supporter this season

Edited by mindfly, 19 April 2010 - 09:09 AM.

#31 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

Wings in 6.
I believe.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#32 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

Wings in 6.
I believe.

Wings don't have enough tough north american forechecking players

#33 Quadnational

Quadnational

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:27 AM

So which situation is worse, this one, or the one a few years ago when the Wings were down to the Canucks 2-0 and headed back to Vancouver? I believe they'll win Game 4 on Tuesday and then it's best of 3.

My prediction is the road team wins all the last games - Wings in 7! :sly:
"Just too strong for us, our top players were not even close to them, not even close. We couldn't make a damn pass. It's like they were playing against kids."
Minnesota coach Jacques Lemaire commenting on the Red Wings after they beat his team 5-0

#34 HenrikRules40

HenrikRules40

I'm not a puck bunny.

• HoF Booster
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

Pittsburgh taught us last year that it ain't over until the fat lady* sings.

Right now I'm looking at Babcock and thinking-- can you make these guys play up to their potential? Lidstrom needs to bounce back and have a strong game. Today's effort from #5 was unacceptable. Same goes for Howard.

I'd also like to see Datsyuk's line be a more constant threat out there. Datsyuk looks dangerous but Franzen isn't himself. Hopefully his goal today can reverse his fortunes.

*Crosby's mom.

:lol: Is it sad that this is the first time I've smiled since I was at the pre-game skate yesterday?

#35 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:43 AM

I think people have vastly underestimated the depth of this Phoenix team. People kept talking about Shane Doan like he was the only legitimate scorer on the team, and I don't see that at all. They may be lacking pure top line scoring talent, but they have secondary scoring all over the lineup, plus, their defensive corps has been getting invovled.

I think if we win, it could take 7. Next game is so huge, though. If we win Game 4, I could see us dropping Game 5 on the road. If we lose Game 4, uh oh. Also, there's a good chance Osgood plays if we get to 3 losses, no matter what. It doesn't even have as much to do with how Howard is playing (which is pretty shaky) as it does with history and the fact that you don't want to get eliminated wondering how your historically clutch playoff goalie might have played differently--even if he's done nothing on the merits to suggest that he'd play well this year.

#36 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

Thing is the Red Wings at their best are a much better team then Phoenix at their best.

It's just a matter of the Wings actually getting there, right now the Wings are beating themselves, I don't think Phoenix can play that much better then they already have. And the Wings besides a few decent periods can play much better.

#37 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

After losses like last night's games, I tend to steer clear of this board until our next win simply because of certain people's negativeness. And after those kind of losses, the last thing I want to do is read posts where people have already given up on the Wings.

But :thumbup: to those of you posting here who still think positive, that's what I like. I still think Wings in 6, and if they lose tomorrow, I'll say Wings in 7. Regardless of what happens, many people wrote them off back in November, then December, and so on... I for one, am satisfied with them getting into the playoffs this year. I said any progress in the playoffs for this year is just a bonus, and I still feel that way.

#38 w00p33

w00p33

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:53 AM

Hopefully I'm wrong, but the Wings just look out of gas to me. Lots of hockey over the past few years. I think they're a better team than Phoenix but they just don't have the drive necessary this year.

Coyotes in 7.

abso-freakin'-lutely... more on this topic later but yes, they look really tired! I'm not sure why that would be though I'm a bit scared that, despite experience being a positive, age might be a problem for this group

Edited by w00p33, 19 April 2010 - 11:58 AM.

#39 w00p33

w00p33

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

After losses like last night's games, I tend to steer clear of this board until our next win simply because of certain people's negativeness. And after those kind of losses, the last thing I want to do is read posts where people have already given up on the Wings.

But :thumbup: to those of you posting here who still think positive, that's what I like. I still think Wings in 6, and if they lose tomorrow, I'll say Wings in 7. Regardless of what happens, many people wrote them off back in November, then December, and so on... I for one, am satisfied with them getting into the playoffs this year. I said any progress in the playoffs for this year is just a bonus, and I still feel that way.

I think Wings can pull this one out yet, I'm not mad or sad about not winning game 3, just a little disappointed. I never had high hopes going into this post season. That said, 2 of the 4 goals by PHX were of the stoppable variety and Howie needs to tighten it up, but I'm not one of those fans who throws him under the bus and says "let's go Oz!" That said, on the goal where Lids came off a line change and PHX scored, he made a rare mistake and covered the net-crasher not the shooter and it just made me wonder where his mind was...

It's not just Lids though, Dats, Z, Fran, Homer Bert, Filp etc. etc. all seem to be in it offensively but the great two-way defensive play this team is usually known for seems to be lacking! Also Howie needs to play more like he did in the stretch after the Olympics... I don't want to see another Legace situation and no, I don't think Oz is the solution...

#40 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

Um...this is rather routine. Look how quickly 3 wins pile up.

Game 4: Wings win, even the series.
Game 5: Wings ride momentum to a win.
Game 6: Due to two losses in a row (which is routine in playoffs), Phoenix panicks and loses Game 6.

So yes, it's entirely possible.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.