• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Dynasty

Bad Defensive Errors

Rate this topic

Kind of hard to blame Ericsson when Lidstrom is getting burned by Prucha of all people.

The defense doesn't just suck at pinches. They suck right now at moving pucks quickly and being beaten to puck after puck. Their body positioning is poor as well.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest Lidstromboli

I also think it's very important to the remainder of this series how Datsyuk plays and if he can make room for himself. 2 points in three games, and -2 plus/minus last game is unfortunately not good enough for the top forward on the team.

he might not be producing offensively, but he's probably spent half of his time out there backchecking and covering for everyone else's awful plays

I think Ericsson has too much potential for a goal to justify taking him out in favor of Lebda. Example.

Final Score:

PIT 2 (Talbot x2)

DET 1 (Ericsson)

Painful memory, but he was the only reason we were even close to winning that game (on the scoresheet anyway).

Ericsson has had some great shots on goal - at least in the last two games. One of the few whose aim looked scarily good.

Part of it is it's not like they just decided to start sucking defensively. They're being rushed by Phoenix's forecheck. And they were getting outraced and outworked to most pucks.

That lack of time and lack of moving their feet is part of what made them suddenly look so awful.

It's not just that they lost their game. Phoenix threw them off it.

Kind of hard to blame Ericsson when Lidstrom is getting burned by Prucha of all people.

The defense doesn't just suck at pinches. They suck right now at moving pucks quickly and being beaten to puck after puck. Their body positioning is poor as well.

I've been tearing my hair out all series with all these Rafaslki turnovers.He's washed up.Any pressure on him and he creates a turnover. :ranting:

I hate to be doom and gloom but it is in my nature. Lidstrom's best days are past, Rafalski, if he is not scoring, is defensively not a top 2 d-man. Stuart and Kronwall are inconsistent in their own end, plus Kronwall doesn't hit anymore. Lilja is an OK 5th or 6th and E is...hopefully a work in progress. The 5 and 6 are playing to expectations. Its really 1 - 4 that have poopie butts - And it ain't gonna get any better next season. Kronwall and Stuart have peaked. We will need to trade for some good young defensive blood in the next year - regardless of Kindl. Maybe Hudler, Flip or Franzen can nab a top 4 d - man.

I hate to be doom and gloom but it is in my nature. Lidstrom's best days are past, Rafalski, if he is not scoring, is defensively not a top 2 d-man. Stuart and Kronwall are inconsistent in their own end, plus Kronwall doesn't hit anymore. Lilja is an OK 5th or 6th and E is...hopefully a work in progress. The 5 and 6 are playing to expectations. Its really 1 - 4 that have poopie butts - And it ain't gonna get any better next season. Kronwall and Stuart have peaked. We will need to trade for some good young defensive blood in the next year - regardless of Kindl. Maybe Hudler, Flip or Franzen can nab a top 4 d - man.

Poopie butts?and Franzen isn't going anywhere.I agree that Rafalski and Kronwall have been disappointing.I say trade Hudler for a rugged bottom 6 forward.

There are many good points here, none are better than the fact the TEAM had not played well as whole and that they seem like they don't care.

Buuuuut if we are going to talk defense then I just have to ask what everyone sees in Ericsson and Lilja????? Now dont get me wrong I don't believe Lebda is better but when you sign a defenseman who is 6'5" 225lbs (Ericsson) or 6'3" 220lbs (Lilja) you expect them to play like they are. Neither of these guys plays big, they dont hit (probably cause they are slow and not agile enough to line up a hit) and they rarely shoot. These two should be wrecking heads as a pair, teams should be skating around scared but instead they know that these two aren't gonna hit, they will just chase you around.

I like Lilja I really do and he is a decent defenseman but I really dont see much use for Ericsson on the NHL level and I just plain dont get how he is seen by some as the future of our defensive core....I hope he surprises me and makes me eat my words but right now he is just a VERY large waste of space.

Ericsson has played fine. What stuns me is people suggesting replacing him with Lebda. Meech, Janik, Kindl, even Tollefson are better choices than ******* Lebda to come in for Ericsson if we're swapping out a d-man.

Ericsson has played fine. What stuns me is people suggesting replacing him with Lebda. Meech, Janik, Kindl, even Tollefson are better choices than ******* Lebda to come in for Ericsson if we're swapping out a d-man.

If we do switch him with someone it will be Janik.Lebda has already proved he is way too soft and all around useless to play at this time of the year.

And I've seen a few of your posts before. You often defended Ericsson when he had the roughest of games. He hasn't been bad at all now, so I guess I can't make any argument to you. :lol:

Hey, Big Rig had to repay my loyalty sooner or later... :lol:

There are many good points here, none are better than the fact the TEAM had not played well as whole and that they seem like they don't care.

Buuuuut if we are going to talk defense then I just have to ask what everyone sees in Ericsson and Lilja????? Now dont get me wrong I don't believe Lebda is better but when you sign a defenseman who is 6'5" 225lbs (Ericsson) or 6'3" 220lbs (Lilja) you expect them to play like they are. Neither of these guys plays big, they dont hit (probably cause they are slow and not agile enough to line up a hit) and they rarely shoot. These two should be wrecking heads as a pair, teams should be skating around scared but instead they know that these two aren't gonna hit, they will just chase you around.

I like Lilja I really do and he is a decent defenseman but I really dont see much use for Ericsson on the NHL level and I just plain dont get how he is seen by some as the future of our defensive core....I hope he surprises me and makes me eat my words but right now he is just a VERY large waste of space.

You write the letter to Ken Holland and I'll send you the money for postage. :lol:

You write the letter to Ken Holland and I'll send you the money for postage. :lol:

I wasn't really expecting Lilja to be lining guys up every shift,but once in a while would be nice.A more effective 6th defensemen would be a guy like John Erskine.Doesn't shoot much,isn't fast,but WILL hit and play defense.Any thoughts on if Kenny will let Lilja walk this offseason?

I've been tearing my hair out all series with all these Rafaslki turnovers.He's washed up.Any pressure on him and he creates a turnover. :ranting:

It's actually shocking that turnover isn't Rafalski's middle name.

I wasn't really expecting Lilja to be lining guys up every shift,but once in a while would be nice.A more effective 6th defensemen would be a guy like John Erskine.Doesn't shoot much,isn't fast,but WILL hit and play defense.Any thoughts on if Kenny will let Lilja walk this offseason?

While I'd love to see Lilja hit I think he's worth having around for the PK alone. Ericsson's really not a stay at home d-man. He was an offensive d-man and pp QB in the AHL. He just happens to be giant.

If you're excited about big d-men who play small you're going to loooovvvveee Kindl!

It's actually shocking that turnover isn't Rafalski's middle name.

While I'd love to see Lilja hit I think he's worth having around for the PK alone. Ericsson's really not a stay at home d-man. He was an offensive d-man and pp QB in the AHL. He just happens to be giant.

If you're excited about big d-men who play small you're going to loooovvvveee Kindl!

I'm sick of Rafalski.yippee i cant wait for Kindl <_<

I'm sick of Rafalski.yippee i cant wait for Kindl <_<

I know how you feel. After watching the Kings game tonight I'd trade just about anyone and anything for Doughty. If I'm Ilitch I'd offer the Kings the Tigers AND a Little Caesar's franchise for Doughty.

I know how you feel. After watching the Kings game tonight I'd trade just about anyone and anything for Doughty. If I'm Ilitch I'd offer the Kings the Tigers AND a Little Caesar's franchise for Doughty.

I'd take Doughty as an upgrade for Ralalski and Matt Greene as an ugrade for Lilja.Greene's a local kid.I'm just sick of the same thing every game.Presure on Rafalski,turnover.I'd like to see some change in the d core over the summer but unforunately nobody would take Rafalski's contract. :ranting:

will Mr. Babcock have the balls to change up the D-pairings if we run into some trouble tomorrow?

If we go down early in the game and it is not Jimmy's fault but it is OBVIOUSLY the defense's fault. Then I think he MIGHT switch up the top 2 pairs to:

Lids-Kronner

Stuart-Rafalski

But I really see him f*cking around with the forward lines before he plays with the D. He constantly plays with line combos in bad situations, but to see him make changes to the "untouchable" defensive pairings that got us to the Finals twice in a row... might scream "panic" to the press and fans.

And you know an even more effective #6 defenseman? Chris Pronger. John Erskine's cap hit is what, double Lilja's?

I'd love to see a Wings defense with Lidstrom, Kronwall, Keith, Doughty, Chara, Johnson, and Edler, with a forward setup of Dats, Z, Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Getzlaf, Iginla, Toews, Kesler, H.Sedin, D.Sedin, and Parise with goaltending of Ryan Miller and Chris Osgood.

Imagine:

Ovechkin/Datsyuk (A)/Kovalchuk

Malkin/Crosby/Iginla

D.Sedin/H.Sedin/Getzlaf

Kesler/Zetterberg (A)/Toews

Parise

Lidstrom ©/Kronwall

Chara/Keith

Doughty/Johnson

Edler

Miller

Osgood

And you know an even more effective #6 defenseman? Chris Pronger. John Erskine's cap hit is what, double Lilja's?

I'd love to see a Wings defense with Lidstrom, Kronwall, Keith, Doughty, Chara, Johnson, and Edler, with a forward setup of Dats, Z, Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Getzlaf, Iginla, Toews, Kesler, H.Sedin, D.Sedin, and Parise with goaltending of Ryan Miller and Chris Osgood.

Imagine:

Ovechkin/Datsyuk (A)/Kovalchuk

Malkin/Crosby/Iginla

D.Sedin/H.Sedin/Getzlaf

Kesler/Zetterberg (A)/Toews

Parise

Lidstrom ©/Kronwall

Chara/Keith

Doughty/Johnson

Edler

Miller

Osgood

Sheldon Brookbank's cap hit is less than a million,i think.The list goes on and on with defensive defensemen.