• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
henrik40

Summary of the first 3 games

Rate this topic

So I just returned home from a week long cruise for my honeymoon where I had little access to watch any of the first 3 games, other than espn2's bottom line for final scores. I'd normally read through the forums to get an overall view as to how we've been playing but knowing that we're down 2-1, most of what I'll read will be negative. Just wondering if some of you could fill me in as to how the first 3 games have gone. Has Jimmy s*** himself or is the D awful? Giving up just about 4 goals a game isn't going to cut it. Thanks!

Game 1: Was close, but the Wings didn't play with any passion and it seemed like another reg season game to them. Howard was average at best, at least 1 softy. Defense was OK, offense not so much.

Game 2: Defense was bad. Howard was decent, but it was more the defense's fault for just letting the Yotes do what they want when they came across center. The offense was pretty good, and it had to be. Good net presence looking for rebounds and a greaty game for secondary players, namely Flip, Abdelkader, and Bertuzzi.

Game 3: Worst. Game. Ever. Excruciatingly bad defensive lapses. Lidstrom looked terrible and Rafalski was worse. The Yotes made the defense look like a high school team with simple dump and chase plays and give and go's. The offense didn't start until there was 3 minutes left in the game. Howard had his worst game in a while, at least 2 soft goals, one of which was terrible. And IMO, Babcock missed an opportunity to attempt to tie it up when they were down 1 and missed an OBVIOUS time again when they were down 2 to put Z and Dats together to at least attempt some kind of offense in the last 5 minutes.

Right now, we are the under-dog.

If you've seen the regular season, you've seen the playoffs.

They come out looking lost and disinterested.

They get behind.

Jimminy saves their collective butt.

A few players look like they care.

We score.

We let in a softie.

We score.

We let in a softie.

At some point, the players start to wake up and look like they are actually trying.

The Wings dominate.

Either the puck goes in again and again, or it stays out again and again.

If it keeps going in, they stay interested. Otherwise, they don't.

It's almost like they have agreed to give a full 60 minutes, but they are counting backward from the end of the game and they are including tv timeouts and intermissions in that 60 minutes.

Congrats on the honeymoon.

So I just returned home from a week long cruise for my honeymoon where I had little access to watch any of the first 3 games, other than espn2's bottom line for final scores. I'd normally read through the forums to get an overall view as to how we've been playing but knowing that we're down 2-1, most of what I'll read will be negative. Just wondering if some of you could fill me in as to how the first 3 games have gone. Has Jimmy s*** himself or is the D awful? Giving up just about 4 goals a game isn't going to cut it. Thanks!

After we win the next game, ask the same question. Then, take the above replies and the replies from the second time. The truth will be somewhere in the middle.

Overall the Coyotes have been outworking the Wings, and that's how they've scored all their goals. When the Wings have turned on the switch, the game looks completely one-sided and its a wonder why Phoenix is in it at all, but unfortunately those moments are as often as they should be given its the playoffs.

Overall the Coyotes have been outworking the Wings, and that's how they've scored all their goals. When the Wings have turned on the switch, the game looks completely one-sided and its a wonder why Phoenix is in it at all, but unfortunately those moments are as often as they should be given its the playoffs.

^THIS^ says it all for me.

Honestly it's a pretty even series. Phoenix is playing much better than people thought. I'd say both teams have dominated roughly half of the first three games overall.

However, the Wings aren't capitalizing. Howard hasn't been all that great. He's let in way too many softies whereas Byrzgalov is not. The Wings are playing horrible defense. Basic stuff, which makes it frustrating. One defenseman gets caught out of position and Lidstrom (it always ends up as Lidstrom) ends up defending against a 2 on 1 which always ends in a goal.

The first game would have gone to the Wings except for their terrible penalty kill. The PK is much better now, but that first game the Yotes scored on all but one of their power plays.

Unfortunately, this 50/50 play is favoring the Coyotes since they have the extra win. Also, Howard and the defense needs to be better. The offense is doing all the little things, everyone is carrying their weight.

The problem is basically Ericcson, Lilja, Rafalski, Kronwall, and Howard at this point.

So...in short? An even series in which Phoenix has had all the breaks. Hopefully the Wings can catch a few.

The weird thing is that both goalies have been terrible. Neither has really come up with that huge "Oh My God!" save yet. Most of the crazy "saves" are just pucks hitting defenders and deflecting away.