• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Patrick Roy

Osgood bench warmer appreciation threas

Rate this topic

I love Ozzie to death but I think this was the season that marked the end of his career as a dependable starter. I mean, he's 37. I think Howard's really only let in one softie the whole series - this isn't comparable to 2006 and Legace.

He let in 2 softies in Game 3 alone. The obvious wrist shot to the short side and the one where he was WAY out of position to stop the tap in. And not to mention all the HUGE rebounds he leaves on the most pedestrian of shots that end up in the net.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

He let in 2 softies in Game 3 alone. The obvious wrist shot to the short side and the one where he was WAY out of position to stop the tap in. And not to mention all the HUGE rebounds he leaves on the most pedestrian of shots that end up in the net.

The second one you mention, he was in position to make the stop had the defense done its job and forced the puck outside. The defense should NEVER have let the puck carrier skate right into the middle like that.

The goaltender has to be there to bail the D out when they screw up. I don't remember how many times I read that after the few games Ozzie played in this season.

This has been the problem all season to a degree. Howard's starts seem to be filled with saves he probably shouldn't make and goals that he probably should have had. The only problem now is its playoffs and he is having trouble making saves on the hard ones and the soft ones. Its always the simple ones like yesterday that he should be able to control and freeze and can't and it leads to second and third opportunities that end up in the net.

Howard has Osgood in the size and athleticism departments, but he lacks the ability so far to control the pace of a game and just get a faceoff. One of Osgood's biggest strengths in the playoffs is that when the other team starts to pressure, he would freeze the puck, get a faceoff and a line change and an opportunity for the fresh bodies to win a faceoff and clear the zone. Howard's problem all season is that when the opposition starts to pressure he keeps letting them reload by producing rebounds. I've never seen this team spend so much time exhausted and hemmed into their own zone. Probably more detrimental than even the rebounds that produce immediate second chances are the ones that allow the opposition to wear down tired players and maintain attack time and gain confidence and momentum.

Howard needs to learn that his glove is for trapping the puck not swatting it into the slot. Osgood has the ability to frustrate opposition with the feeling that they get one shot in the offensive zone and if it isn't going in, its going to be a faceoff and fresh Red Wings bodies to head back towards their goaltender. Howard NEEDS that.

Howard wouldn't be in this position if the Wings actually had a capable back up for him. It's not his fault he had to carry this team for so many games as a rookie and is now feeling the effects of such a long season.

Blame Holland for not getting a serviceable back up in my opinion.

Howard wouldn't be in this position if the Wings actually had a capable back up for him. It's not his fault he had to carry this team for so many games as a rookie and is now feeling the effects of such a long season.

Howard was supposed to be the serviceable backup. Unfortunately Ozzie ran out of youth.

^This^

Look the guy's a rookie. He hasn't been as good as he was during the regular season IMO, but I kind of expected as much. It's a lot of pressure, he's probably mentally tired. His team isn't giving him the best support in his own end. I hope he'll be able to relax and player better, he deserves it. He's the reason were in the post season anyway.

This has been the problem all season to a degree. Howard's starts seem to be filled with saves he probably shouldn't make and goals that he probably should have had. The only problem now is its playoffs and he is having trouble making saves on the hard ones and the soft ones. Its always the simple ones like yesterday that he should be able to control and freeze and can't and it leads to second and third opportunities that end up in the net.

Howard has Osgood in the size and athleticism departments, but he lacks the ability so far to control the pace of a game and just get a faceoff. One of Osgood's biggest strengths in the playoffs is that when the other team starts to pressure, he would freeze the puck, get a faceoff and a line change and an opportunity for the fresh bodies to win a faceoff and clear the zone. Howard's problem all season is that when the opposition starts to pressure he keeps letting them reload by producing rebounds. I've never seen this team spend so much time exhausted and hemmed into their own zone. Probably more detrimental than even the rebounds that produce immediate second chances are the ones that allow the opposition to wear down tired players and maintain attack time and gain confidence and momentum.

Howard needs to learn that his glove is for trapping the puck not swatting it into the slot. Osgood has the ability to frustrate opposition with the feeling that they get one shot in the offensive zone and if it isn't going in, its going to be a faceoff and fresh Red Wings bodies to head back towards their goaltender. Howard NEEDS that.

Well said and I agree with you.

To the OP, I don't think I would pull the plug on Howard just yet. Rookie or not its game time, this is what he has spent all this time preparing for and now its his time to overcome the challenges offered in the playoffs. Everyone, even the great and powerful Oz was once a rookie and every goalie has had to be in this position. Howard needs to tighten his game and keep the team in it... and the rest of the team needs to follow.

ANYWAYS.

I heard on 97.1 today that Ozzie was asked if he was ready to start if the Wings needed him and he said he'd be ready to go but does not want to. Why? He says he loves mentoring Howard and wants him to continue to play and that he deserves to play. Also, Oz is real comfortable with his role as of right now. If that is not professionalism and loyalty I don't know what is. Props to CJO. He always puts the team first.

I love Ozzie to death but I think this was the season that marked the end of his career as a dependable starter. I mean, he's 37. I think Howard's really only let in one softie the whole series - this isn't comparable to 2006 and Legace.

I don't agree that this season marked the end of Ozzie's agree. Not at all. But I will say that Howie deserves to start and that one bad game shouldn't have anyone thinking he needs to suddenly be pulled. He needs to run with it. He'll be fine.

ANYWAYS.

I heard on 97.1 today that Ozzie was asked if he was ready to start if the Wings needed him and he said he'd be ready to go but does not want to. Why? He says he loves mentoring Howard and wants him to continue to play and that he deserves to play. Also, Oz is real comfortable with his role as of right now. If that is not professionalism and loyalty I don't know what is. Props to CJO. He always puts the team first.

Great stuff! I think that's exactly what we needed to hear and reflects how I feel personally: I want Osgood to be ready to go but ideally we don't need him.