• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FunkedUp

Samuelsson looking good at 2.5 million

Rate this topic

Unlike many people on this site, I was a Samuelsson fan, even when it wasn't cool. He has a knack for big playoff goals, and he's not disappointing this year. Also, it would be nice to have a shooter on our team and a competent right handed shot on the PP. Why did Holland not match Vancouvers offer? I was bummed to see him go. So far, my concerns have been vindicated. What do you guys think?

Hindsight is 20/20. He could've had a crappy regular season this year like 2 years ago, my mistake, or scored 30 goals who knows. Sure I'm mad he left, especially because Williams was his replacement. I'm just happy for Sammy, he's clutch, a current day Mark Messier, even if his team is kinda sucky right now.

And yeah the Wings were loaded last year.

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hossa

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

Samuelsson-Filppula-Hudler

Maltby-Helm-Abdelkader/Draper

That's just nuts, you truly dont appreciate what you have until it's gone. (Hossa can still f*** off though :))

Edited for messing up Sammys bad season

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Guest Howard He Do It?!
The Red Wings could offer him no more than $1.5 million per year due to salary-cap constraints. Samuelsson said he mulled offers from several teams before choosing Vancouver over Detroit.

"It was a bunch of reasons, not only the money, although it was the key," Samuelsson said. "I liked it in Detroit, no hard feelings, but they came up too short, too late. In my mind, they made a choice. I know they had a cap issue. That's the way it goes, that's the system."

MLive

$2.5 million > $1.5 million. That's why Sammy is a Canuck.

This team would look a little different if Holland had known in June that Hudler intended to defect. The arbitration and the IIHF tied his hands until late in the summer, that being said he did a pretty decent job with what amounts to a hail mary in the free agency.

He's definitely one of the more dangerous players on the ice in the Canucks series. As noted above, the Hudler situation is what ultimately hurt us. Had we known early that Hudler was leaving, I'm sure they would have signed Sammy right away.

In any case, there was no way to predict that he would have a season like this. No one saw that coming. I think the Olympics snub had something to do with his extra drive.

He's definitely one of the more dangerous players on the ice in the Canucks series. As noted above, the Hudler situation is what ultimately hurt us. Had we known early that Hudler was leaving, I'm sure they would have signed Sammy right away.

In any case, there was no way to predict that he would have a season like this. No one saw that coming. I think the Olympics snub had something to do with his extra drive.

Definitely agree with you on the Hudler situation, but no one saw this coming? Sammy was a 20 goal scorer (I think he was 20 last season?) playing 3rd line mins. It's not at all surprising that he can be a 30 goal scorer, especially when playing top minutes. The wings could have used a shooter, seems most of the wings would rather pass then shoot, and Sammy doesn't have this problem.

of course we should of kept him, either that or we should of made sure we could get the hoss back. Losing both of them was ridiculous.

No Hossa was curse in the end.

To answer the OP's question: yes we should have kept Sammy but hindsight. The only things really missing from the 08 run are Sammy and Huds, oh and Drake.....

JWill doesn't cut it - but I'm liking Abby to permanently replace him...

Good for Sammy. He looks so cocky too these days when he scores as his Canuck buddies hug him and toss him about. I wonder why he couldn't snipe the corner of the net like he did tonight last year. Funny how these things work.

Good for Sammy. He looks so cocky too these days when he scores as his Canuck buddies hug him and toss him about. I wonder why he couldn't snipe the corner of the net like he did tonight last year. Funny how these things work.

Confidence.

He plays nearly two more minutes of TOI this year in comparison to last year. He's been a fixture on the Canucks top six. Also, other than the Sedins, nobody else averaged more TOI on the power play.

I don't think we should have signed Samuelsson still. At the time Hudler looked like he was staying. That decision was made. I would still rather have Hudler than Samuelsson.

Had we kept Samuelsson there would have been no chance of keeping Hudler.

You need to look at the decision when it was made and not in hindsight to judge if it was the right one or not.

At the time it was a good decision.

And if Hudler is back next year, and successful it still could be a good decision long-term.

Shinguardassassin.jpg

BagoverSamuelsson.jpg

nope.

He only shoots a lot. He's not good. Don't you remember?

Have you been watching the playoffs this year so far with Vancouver? Even just checking out the box scores seeing how much he contributes? (or is my sarcasm detection crappy this morning?)

As for Samuelsson, he unfortuantely fell into whipping boy status, which more often than not means a lot of the things that might not have been his strengths, they were going to be overblown into him being one of the worst players in the world. Never thought he was as bad as was overdramatized in here

At his salary last year, he was a steal for 2nd/3rd line minutes and chipping in on the PP every now and then.

Would I have liked him back? Of course, but I'm glad he's excelling elsewhere with a little bit more time and a raise, he's proving he deserves that raise.

So you'd like to see him disappear again this year in the playoffs. No thx. Especially when the Coyote logo is so big - Sammy wouldn't miss hitting that as per the norm with all his selfish shots!!

Yeh he leads the Canucks in goals. Big deal. The goals aren't exactly game deciders. Timely goals are more important than just scoring at this time and the Canucks look to be just about out yet again, relying on 2 players + Luongo to win a Cup ....