• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DetroitYZ19

Yzerman May Leave Soon

Rate this topic

Does anyone here have access to ESPN insider? I can just see the headlines because i'm not a member, but I hope this isnt the case and just a wide blown rumor or speculation! I hope Stevie Y stays with the organization! Heres the link:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnhl%2ffeatures%2frumors

(There is also something about the Hudler situation there too.)

LETS GO RED WINGS!!! A NEW SERIES STARTS TONIGHT!!!

I would generally be sceptical of anything hockey related reported by ESPN.

Having said that, it wouldn't be a huge shock I guess. I don't ever want to see him leave, but I'm sure other teams have offered good oppurtunities for the GM position.

Edited by crotty99

There's nothing there other than "he's about ready for a job but Holland's not ready to retire."

The first sentence is "Steve Yzerman may not leave the Detroit Red Wings this offseason, but it may be soon." You don't need Insider to have figured that out ages ago.

I just can't see it happening... regardless of the rumors, I think teams are calling and media is hyping something based on those calls, but I just can't see Yzerman entertaining those ideas - he IS a Red Wings, gets payed well even playing "2nd fiddle" and gets to "run the show" with team Canada, he has never had an ego and I don't see that taking over now where he NEEDS to be the one in charge...

He may also wait until Ken Holland retires

I don't think he plans on going anywhere anytime soon.

I wouldn't doubt Stevie leaving. Just because he is heavily involved with the Wings organization doesn't mean he doesn't want to further his position in hockey. As bad as it sounds, we can't be selfish about it.

The question in my mind is this: What happens with Nill? Is it a given that Yzerman leap-frogs over him to become GM when Holland retires or assumes another role? I love the Captain, but I would hope that such is not necessarily the case. There is a reason why so many teams in recent years have asked Ilitch for permission to speak with Nill about their GM vacancies. More importantly, there also is a good reason why Ilitch has always said no.

I just can't see it happening... regardless of the rumors, I think teams are calling and media is hyping something based on those calls, but I just can't see Yzerman entertaining those ideas - he IS a Red Wings, gets payed well even playing "2nd fiddle" and gets to "run the show" with team Canada, he has never had an ego and I don't see that taking over now where he NEEDS to be the one in charge...

His family's in Michigan too aren't they? It would have to be a family decision if they even thought about going somewhere else. I just don't think it would make sense if his family is happy where they are.

The question in my mind is this: What happens with Nill? Is it a given that Yzerman leap-frogs over him to become GM when Holland retires or assumes another role? I love the Captain, but I would hope that such is not necessarily the case. There is a reason why so many teams in recent years have asked Ilitch for permission to speak with Nill about their GM vacancies. More importantly, there also is a good reason why Ilitch has always said no.

I think Nill is happy with his current role... but regardless, he's not only a couple years younger than Holland, so if Yzerman is sticking around until Holland retires, Nill probably would be retiring as well... I think it's more likely that one of Holland or Nill take a GM role somewhere else and then Yzerman replaces the other when they retire...

I just can't see Yzerman being the one who leaves, although it's definitely not implausible, I just can't see it happening...

His family's in Michigan too aren't they? It would have to be a family decision if they even thought about going somewhere else. I just don't think it would make sense if his family is happy where they are.

Exactly, especially with the range in age of his girls...

Guest Crymson

Does anyone here have access to ESPN insider? I can just see the headlines because i'm not a member, but I hope this isnt the case and just a wide blown rumor or speculation! I hope Stevie Y stays with the organization! Heres the link:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnhl%2ffeatures%2frumors

(There is also something about the Hudler situation there too.)

LETS GO RED WINGS!!! A NEW SERIES STARTS TONIGHT!!!

That link leads a 'rumors' page.

This might be a stupid question, but what exactly is Yzerman's current position with the team?

Is he just being groomed for something and has no say in decision making matters?

Holland has made it very clear that the brain trust discusses everything in extreme detail and no decisions are unilaterally made and that includes Yzerman.

Here's the article

"Steve Yzerman may not leave the Detroit Red Wings this offseason, but it may be soon.

Wings GM Ken Holland told Fox Sports Detroit that Yzerman wants to run his own team soon -- and "certainly, he's ready."

But the 53-year-old Holland said shortly thereafter that he doesn't plan on retiring anytime soon. So Yzerman may look to take a job soon.

Still, most people seem to believe he won't leave this season. Yzerman will most certainly get a call from Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik. But ESPN.com's Scott Burnside writes, "We doubt Yzerman would take the job. Tampa Bay is pretty far from home and family, it's not in Canada (hey, we took geography in school, too) and it may be too unstable a situation for Yzerman to want to throw his hat into the ring as he considers options for his first NHL GM job."

The Calgary Flames may also be calling soon, so he may look into those situations, too, but that has yet to surface. So chances are he'll wait for whatever jobs become available next offseason. Surely, the possibility of hiring Yzerman has GM might lessen the job security of some GMs out there."