wmubronco420

Jimmy's save without a helmet

Rate this topic

Guest Howard He Do It?!

From NHL.com:

qmQZl.png

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

I love Helmer's quote:

"That's just competitiveness that he has," Helm said. "He'll make that stop no matter what the situation is. Obviously, we don't really want him jumping in front of the puck with his helmet off but that's just the guy he is. He wants to win, bucket or no bucket, he's going to try to make that stop."

Linky

Edited by Opie

I could swear there was a rule in the stating if the goalies helmet comes off, the play is automatically called dead, which the refs did not do.

Unless they've changed that, that's the rule plus one little important part that applies here, and that's if there's an immediate scoring chance.

Yeah RivalRed I was almost 100% positive of that rule myself but the way the game went I started to wonder if it was only College. But I am almost 100% they are supposed to stop the game immediately!

Seein Red Thanks for clearing that up!

Guest CaliWingsNut

I could swear there was a rule in the stating if the goalies helmet comes off, the play is automatically called dead, which the refs did not do.

There is... Ken & Mick were talking about it.

They initially said they weren't sure what would happen if the rebound was made in before the whistle (which was pretty quick). Ken later made it sound as though it would have counted.

Here is the rule 9.5.

When a goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask and his team has possession of the puck, the play shall be stopped immediately to allow the goalkeeper the opportunity to regain his helmet and/or face mask. When the opposing team has possession of the puck, play shall only be stopped if there is no immediate and impending scoring opportunity. This stoppage of play must be made by the Referee. When play is stopped because the goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask, the ensuing face-off shall take place at one of the defending team’s end zone face-off spots.

Edited by redwings2002

I understand the NHL wants more scoring and does not want to blow the play dead if that does occur, but at the same time, the safety of the players is a big thing and Howard would of easy taken that rebound right in the face.

Some modifications need to be made to that rule IMHO - give the refs the choice to blow he play dead if potential harm can occur to the goalie.