• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wmubronco420

Jimmy's save without a helmet

Rate this topic

That rule makes no sense. When the goaltender loses his mask, the play should be stoppped immediately, regardless of who has the puck. It's a safety issue.

In that case if the other team has a breakaway or something then the goalie could just rip off his mask and play would have to be stoped

well the simple solution to that is any intentional throwing of the goalie mask is a penalty or Penalty shot.

I really think they should stop the play instantly, even if it were the other way around (as in Det has the scoring chance).

Safety is a big issue, can you imagine if some one (unintentionally) from the Yotes was able to get a quick spin around slap shot of on the rebound, get it up in his face, that has broken bones written all over it.

There is a reason goalies are not allowed to play sans mask, this is not the original 6 era any more, players would not refuse to shoot high, granted curve of blade makes some of the top shelf shots easier now than they were back in the day. The way some of the guys in the league hit, I can hardly imagine what they would do given the chance to rip a shot at a mask-less goalie.

Can you imagine if that puck lands on Steve Downie's stick ( I know wrong team but bare with me, please), how many of you for a second don't worry about him firing a shot off of Jimmy's face intentionally? Even for a second, I would not trust that Downie in that situation.

That rule makes no sense. When the goaltender loses his mask, the play should be stoppped immediately, regardless of who has the puck. It's a safety issue.

If the whistle was blown every time something dangerous happened games would take all day.

The rule makes sense. Say that Jimmy doesn't get that save and it goes off his mask (which falls off) and goes in the net. That goal counts.

I actually remember the rule going in the Wings' favor a couple years ago. May have even been in the playoffs. Shot went off the goalie mask, which fell off, and then the puck was put in the net by a Wing. The rule was explained and the reasoning was that even if the mask had stayed on the goalie wouldn't have been able to make the save anyway.

Guest micah

Lots of players stand in front of the net without Goalie masks on, the rule is perfect as it is. Stop play as soon as the immediate scoring opportunity has passed.

I wonder if that rule has been tweeked over the years. I clearly recall the Wings playing Edmonton in the POs and Roloson's mask regularly "falling" off during net front scrums and the refs blowing the play dead. In fact Rolo used that tactic for the remainder of the run so there probably is plenty of pics avail (no time to search right now).

jhov.jpg

That's by far the best pic. The concentration and determination on his face is epic ph34r.gif

Yandle has a cannon. I was thinking I'd probably take this one right off the teeth if I had to

Way to go Jimmeh. I've not seen a goaltender look so fired up in a loooong time clap.gif

I don't think its that dangerous of play to let the play go after a goalie lost his helmet. There only so many ways a goalie loses his helmet the one that seem most likely is a puck hitting it like last night. What are the odds of a shot from the point that blows off the goalies helmet landing on the ground in front of him then the rebound shot catching him in the face. There not even that many pucks that hit goalies mask the likelihood of two pucks hitting someone in the head one right after the other is small not to mention one of them being strong enough to knock of the helmet. The important part of the rule is the immediate scoring chance. Lets say the puck hits the goalie in the head knocks off the helmet the rebound is only going to be like a few feet away from the goalie so the pucks close to the net the shots will probably be less powerful and lower. If there is a pass it will be for a play at a open net. The ref wouldn't let the team cycle the puck well the goalie has no mask. The rule make sense because the likelihood of the goalie losing his mask and getting hit in the face with the puck right after is really small.

I don't think its that dangerous of play to let the play go after a goalie lost his helmet. There only so many ways a goalie loses his helmet the one that seem most likely is a puck hitting it like last night. What are the odds of a shot from the point that blows off the goalies helmet landing on the ground in front of him then the rebound shot catching him in the face. There not even that many pucks that hit goalies mask the likelihood of two pucks hitting someone in the head one right after the other is small not to mention one of them being strong enough to knock of the helmet. The important part of the rule is the immediate scoring chance. Lets say the puck hits the goalie in the head knocks off the helmet the rebound is only going to be like a few feet away from the goalie so the pucks close to the net the shots will probably be less powerful and lower. If there is a pass it will be for a play at a open net. The ref wouldn't let the team cycle the puck well the goalie has no mask. The rule make sense because the likelihood of the goalie losing his mask and getting hit in the face with the puck right after is really small.

I think if the goalie's mask comes off,he should be required to put it back on at the next stoppage.That would clear up a lot of things.

I just saw the save on NHL videos. It's hard to tell, but it looks like the shot actually knocks it off. Is that right? If thats correct, that's a huge save. Unbeleivable concentraion. I've seen Luongo more than once flinch and react by going down to protect himself rather than continue with his concentration and keep after the puck.

That was amazing.

The most famous example of that T.Low would be Salo in the 2002 Olympics, when he ducked his head while jumping for the puck and it went past his ducking head and in.

Weird explanation and the only vids I could find on youtube were in Russian I think ( in the 12 seconds I took), so I didn't post one but most of us remember that moment. Just before OT were to start I think.

Same thing though with Salo I guess he could have lost sight of it, but that looked like a "Oh s*** it is going Brain me, DUCK!!!" type of move. As opposed to the Yzerman goal against St. Louis, when whomever it was (I can't believe I would have to look this up! D'Oh) just misplayed it, the body language on that one was more of a I got this one, ooops no I don't.

Where as to me Salo was getting out of the way!

Love the sig! :thumbup:

I made a couple others if anyone wants to use them.

jimmy_sig-c.jpg

jimmy_sig.jpg

I'd be happy to make other playoff ones for anyone who wants one, too. :)

Edited by Travis

I think I'd be more concerned about a stick to the face.

JimmyHoward.gif

Ok, I could watch that a gazillion times a day. :clap:

The most famous example of that T.Low would be Salo in the 2002 Olympics, when he ducked his head while jumping for the puck and it went past his ducking head and in.

Weird explanation and the only vids I could find on youtube were in Russian I think ( in the 12 seconds I took), so I didn't post one but most of us remember that moment. Just before OT were to start I think.

Same thing though with Salo I guess he could have lost sight of it, but that looked like a "Oh s*** it is going Brain me, DUCK!!!" type of move. As opposed to the Yzerman goal against St. Louis, when whomever it was (I can't believe I would have to look this up! D'Oh) just misplayed it, the body language on that one was more of a I got this one, ooops no I don't.

Where as to me Salo was getting out of the way!

I think the difference with Jimmy is that Salo had to much time to think and therefore ducked.

Jimmy's puck to the head was just too quick and screened, so he didn't have a choice really.