• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

Too Many Men

Rate this topic

So, there has been some discussion last night and this morning amongst various media outlets regarding the number of too many men calls so far in the playoffs. Aparently there has been 14 so far. Questions coming up asking why guys can't count, etc. In the Wsh v. Mon game last night, Wash had a powerplay and they had 6 guys out there for what seemed to be about 20 seconds before anyone noticed, it was kinda funny. Aparently LA got caught with 9 guys on the ice last night....yes, 9. I didn't see it, but I'm assuming it must have been 4 guys changing at the same time and the change was not great, but even then, 9 guys is a lot.

So I guess the real question is: is the media making a bigger deal out of this than it is? There have been 31 games played so far, so that woudl be a little less than 1 call in every 2nd game. Is that signficantly more than usual? I don't see this penalty as being all that unusual, perhaps in the playoffs I guess?

Considering there have been 16 Too Many Men calls already this round and only 17 total during last years post-season, I would say yes it has been called considerably more than in previous years. I'm not sure why, whether its actually happening in every case, or if the officials are cracking down.

At the game on Tue. the officials were warning the Yotes bench about how their players were holding the Wings. Meanwhile calling BS penalties on Dats and Franzen. I honestly think the NHL uses the playoffs as a training program for officials and a penalty for others so they dont have as long an off season cause the calls just get more and more ridiculous. Is it possible to petition to be put in the Commish's spot for next season. I promise a complete overhaul of the league. Officials held responsible for being terrible, more media exposure than a few chosen butt kissers, and of course more televised games on actual channels.

I was flipping back and forth between the LA game and my homework last night, and I caught a replay of a too many men penalty and it looked like a normal line change. Guys were jumping off the bench as guys were jumping on the bench. During that little scrum there were about 8 or 9 guys on the ice, but the play wasn't near the benches and from what I saw on the replay, none of the Kings changing were involved in the play until after the penalty was called. Granted, I only saw a replay and Pierre making jokes about not being able to play with 15 guys on the ice, so who knows what the story looked like in context.

I thought that the officials did catch it and were yelling at the Pens to get one guy off the ice.

You are correct. Which makes it even more bizarre that they're calling it so much this year. Might be a case of, "See? SEE?! We call too-many-men when we're supposed to!", just like the show of authority the league tried to make when they suspended Poni but not Cooke.

Considering there have been 16 Too Many Men calls already this round and only 17 total during last years post-season, I would say yes it has been called considerably more than in previous years. I'm not sure why, whether its actually happening in every case, or if the officials are cracking down.

Yeah, they mentioned something like that on HNiC last night and I was shocked. It's such and odd penalty to see spike like that.