• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

I love AO for the most part, but that was pretty classless...

with that said... it made me laugh... I'm a horrible human being... I know.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#22 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

Awesome. I'm pretty sure that kid is gonna get a lot of chicks at school. "Hey baby I got sprayed on Alex Ovechkin, wanna hang out?"
40 for life.

#23 2guns

2guns

Rookie

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

I'm finding it awfully hard to care. It's tiny ice shavings, not a BC two hander across the kids face for crying out loud.

*edited for spelling, typing from phones sucks.

Edited by 2guns, 22 April 2010 - 11:16 AM.

#24 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

When did it become classless to perform your pregame ritual, the same as you do every night? Hockey players are superstitious, everyone knows this.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#25 Duck Guy

Duck Guy

Homer rocks your socks off Its knuckle Puck time!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:49 AM

When did it become classless to perform your pregame ritual, the same as you do every night? Hockey players are superstitious, everyone knows this.

Think about it... the poor kid got snowed by one of the greatest nhl players.... and he has to wipe it off...IDK why some people are making a big deal out of this it is not like he got COMPLETELY snowed on or anything he got a little on his legs OH NO!!!! lol
Posted Image
Veritas Aequitas

#26 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:59 AM

From the Chris Pronger's Handy Book of Hockey Physics:

Snow and ice are really just frozen water. When ice and snow melt, they turn into water. The body is 98% water. When you sweat, you lose water. The kid was probably hot in that outfit, and was probably sweating. Ovi was just returning what the kid had lost. It's physics.

Edited by 55fan, 22 April 2010 - 11:59 AM.

#27 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

I think what we need to be talking about MORE is why there is weird music and children waving hockey flags in the entry of the Montreal players. That is just creepy. It's like a weird ritual to them. Are they gonna bleed the kids from the neck after and sacrifice them to the hockey gods??

Good on Ovie for breaking down that awkward vibe a little.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#28 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

spraying kids is just like marking your territory. i spray kids all the time

Posted Image

#29 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:07 PM

Meh no biggie from me, probably made the kid's year. Not a smart move publicity wise though by Ovechkin.

Although I do laugh at the double standard on this forum, if this was you know who this would be 10 pages already about how he is the devil. Yet Ovechkin is just funny, even when he almost ends careers.

#30 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

Although I do laugh at the double standard on this forum, if this was you know who this would be 10 pages already about how he is the devil. Yet Ovechkin is just funny, even when he almost ends careers.

For that hypothetical episode, there would definitely be a few staunch haters but I'm sure they'd be doused by a majority of rational LGWers.

#31 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

Kind of funny to see, but it looks like it wasn't really a big deal. I mean if he does that same thing all the time, hard to call him classless because of it. Not his fault the Canadiens stuck a little kid next to their bench.

Um, I'm not making any judgments on whether Ovechkin is a jackass here or not, but the "pregame routine" thing is the stupidest excuse ever. If it was his pregame routine to shoot a whole bunch of pucks as hard as he can at the wall at that spot, is that an excuse if he hits the kid?

Whether or not Ovechkin is a dick for this, I'll leave up to the kid, but just because you "always do something" doesn't mean you get to go ahead and automatically have the right to do it whether or not someone else is in the way. That's just stupid.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#32 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

For that hypothetical episode, there would definitely be a few staunch haters but I'm sure they'd be doused by a majority of rational LGWers.

I'd like to hope so, but remembering the whole "spitting" on hand incident I'd beg to disagree.

#33 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

probably the most interesting thing that ever happens to that kid in his entire life.

I agree completely.

That kid not only got to go out on the ice, hold the team flag, but got attention from one of the top stars in the game.

As to if "someone else" (afraid of saying the C word or something?) had done it... I'd feel the same, though I'm sure the media would have a field day even more so than this that would piss me off.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#34 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

Um, I'm not making any judgments on whether Ovechkin is a jackass here or not, but the "pregame routine" thing is the stupidest excuse ever. If it was his pregame routine to shoot a whole bunch of pucks as hard as he can at the wall at that spot, is that an excuse if he hits the kid?

Whether or not Ovechkin is a dick for this, I'll leave up to the kid, but just because you "always do something" doesn't mean you get to go ahead and automatically have the right to do it whether or not someone else is in the way. That's just stupid.

I don't see where this would be a problem. His pregame routine is nothing like shooting a bunch of pucks at the wall. It's skating to the bench, stopping, then going into the bench. There just so happened to be a kid there this time. This is such a non-story. If anyone else in the league did this, it'd be exactly the same.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#35 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

And it might have been the only Canadiens game this season that didn't have a 30-40 minute pre-game ceremony involving Jean Beliveau.

#36 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

I don't see the big deal, it seemed to me that the kid didn't even notice...this is some petty s***, and if this ground anyone's gears they need to find something of importance to care about.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#37 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

I think it is a pretty dick move (the pregame ritual is crap considering he could have stopped right next to the kid without snowing him) but it was funny nonetheless.

I only wish it was Crosby so the hate could rain down on him from these forums for having no regard to the people on the ice.

Posted Image

#38 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

I don't see where this would be a problem. His pregame routine is nothing like shooting a bunch of pucks at the wall. It's skating to the bench, stopping, then going into the bench. There just so happened to be a kid there this time. This is such a non-story. If anyone else in the league did this, it'd be exactly the same.

I agree it's really not a story, but if it were something story-worthy, the "pregame ritual" thing wouldn't apply, so it shouldn't here, either. If snowing a kid is a jerk thing to do, then it's not excusable via pregame ritual; and if it isn't, then it doesn't matter.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#39 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:07 PM

I'd like to hope so, but remembering the whole "spitting" on hand incident I'd beg to disagree.

for the tenth time! there were like 2 people who were talkin s*** about him doin it without proof. the rest of the people who said anything were talking CIRCUMSTANCIALLY

say it with me CIR-CUM-STANCIALLY

2% of that thread was the people you're complaining about... the other 98% were people bitching about how there were so many people that fell in that 2% category

#40 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

for the tenth time! there were like 2 people who were talkin s*** about him doin it without proof. the rest of the people who said anything were talking CIRCUMSTANCIALLY

say it with me CIR-CUM-STANCIALLY

2% of that thread was the people you're complaining about... the other 98% were people bitching about how there were so many people that fell in that 2% category

I think I know you.