17 replies to this topic

#1 creedie

creedie

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=318976
Shirley you can't be serious... I am very serious and stop calling me Shirley!

#2 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:36 AM

must have thought, no point in having a team if hudlers gone.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#3 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:02 AM

Sad day for hockey.
40 for life.

#4 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

wow, just wow... as I have said in prior threads, I think the KHL will cease to be within the next couple years, they're not spending within their means and cannot compete with the NHL for talent and this will be a most likely fatal blow...

Edited by stevkrause, 22 April 2010 - 11:05 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#5 ltgator333

ltgator333

Combustion on Contact

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

wow, just wow... as I have said in prior threads, I think the KHL will cease to be within the next couple years, they're not spending within their means and cannot compete with the NHL for talent and this will be a most likely fatal blow...

It's a good indicator of that when they feel the need to pay a player nearly twice what NHL arbitration says he's worth. I have to wonder how much those big money contracts contributed to this, but on the other hand if they were irresponsible enough to do things like that what else was going on?

Another indicator of a league where something is just not right- in NA (and most likely western Europe) you're paid in the currency of the location. In the KHL, at least in some cases, you're not. To me it indicates an economy that almost certainly can't support the league.

Don't get me wrong though, I would like to see the Russians have a viable league of they're own. I just don't think they're doing a good job of it, and I also do not think they're idea of trying to directly compete with the major NA leagues is a good idea either- obviously they have to on a certain level but they don't have to make more of it than what it is.
- LT

#6 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:25 AM

It's a good indicator of that when they feel the need to pay a player nearly twice what NHL arbitration says he's worth. I have to wonder how much those big money contracts contributed to this, but on the other hand if they were irresponsible enough to do things like that what else was going on?

i totaly agree that that is what lead to there fold, but how else would they get nhl caliber players to join there teams.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:33 AM

I figured one of the smaller Russian teams would fold. Not Moscow Dynamo.

That's what they get for handing out those monstrous contracts. Like WCW once did.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 22 April 2010 - 11:33 AM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#8 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

sign danny markov! bring back the crazy!

#9 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

Another indicator of a league where something is just not right- in NA (and most likely western Europe) you're paid in the currency of the location. In the KHL, at least in some cases, you're not. To me it indicates an economy that almost certainly can't support the league.

Don't get me wrong though, I would like to see the Russians have a viable league of they're own. I just don't think they're doing a good job of it, and I also do not think they're idea of trying to directly compete with the major NA leagues is a good idea either- obviously they have to on a certain level but they don't have to make more of it than what it is.

The key is what you stated in your second paragraph, "the economy can't support the league." When the economy was flourishing, plenty of teams were able to pay those salaries. However, when the economy tanked like it has the past few years and when each team uses almost only corporate sponsorship cash to pay player salaries, something like this was bound to happen. Companies aren't in positions to make hefty corporate sponsorships like they were, hence Dynamo's financial debacle.

Essentially, given that the league has zero vested interest in their clubs its Game, Set, Match (Schlosky Bishop Block) for Dynamo. Sucks for their fans.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#10 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

I'm just here for the WCW reference.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#11 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

That's what they get for handing out those monstrous contracts. Like WCW once did.

That's a pretty good analogy.

#12 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:14 PM

I figured one of the smaller Russian teams would fold. Not Moscow Dynamo.

Perfect example. That's exactly what this is. The only difference is WCW actually became number 1 for a few years before folding. :P

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:43 PM

This just in.

I've heard from a reliable source that they may be moving to Winnipeg! :yowza:

Perfect example. That's exactly what this is. The only difference is WCW actually became number 1 for a few years before folding. :P

I miss WCW. :(
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#14 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:53 PM

Gee, does this mean that my two Moscow Dynamo jerseys that Pasha signed might be collector's items now? Not that I'd ever part with them...

This is kinda sad, but it may be the beginning of a domino effect.
Posted Image

#15 zata40

zata40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

This is really sad, I feel really bad for the fans. say day for hockey.

If the KHL does fold, I wonder what type of affect it will have on the development of Russian players?
Posted Image

#16 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:29 PM

This is really sad, I feel really bad for the fans. say day for hockey.

If the KHL does fold, I wonder what type of affect it will have on the development of Russian players?

I'd like to say they'll come begging to get back into the NHL at bargain prices, but what'll happen is NHL managers will overpay for crappy, lazy players or they'll go into the other European leagues.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#17 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

Bettman will use it as an excuse to open teams in 6 new markets, and completely kill the NHL for good as well.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 22 April 2010 - 10:57 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#18 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:19 AM

I fear you may be more right than you think.
Posted Image