• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
creedie

Moscow Dynamo Folds

Rate this topic

wow, just wow... as I have said in prior threads, I think the KHL will cease to be within the next couple years, they're not spending within their means and cannot compete with the NHL for talent and this will be a most likely fatal blow...

Edited by stevkrause

wow, just wow... as I have said in prior threads, I think the KHL will cease to be within the next couple years, they're not spending within their means and cannot compete with the NHL for talent and this will be a most likely fatal blow...

It's a good indicator of that when they feel the need to pay a player nearly twice what NHL arbitration says he's worth. I have to wonder how much those big money contracts contributed to this, but on the other hand if they were irresponsible enough to do things like that what else was going on?

Another indicator of a league where something is just not right- in NA (and most likely western Europe) you're paid in the currency of the location. In the KHL, at least in some cases, you're not. To me it indicates an economy that almost certainly can't support the league.

Don't get me wrong though, I would like to see the Russians have a viable league of they're own. I just don't think they're doing a good job of it, and I also do not think they're idea of trying to directly compete with the major NA leagues is a good idea either- obviously they have to on a certain level but they don't have to make more of it than what it is.

It's a good indicator of that when they feel the need to pay a player nearly twice what NHL arbitration says he's worth. I have to wonder how much those big money contracts contributed to this, but on the other hand if they were irresponsible enough to do things like that what else was going on?

i totaly agree that that is what lead to there fold, but how else would they get nhl caliber players to join there teams.

Another indicator of a league where something is just not right- in NA (and most likely western Europe) you're paid in the currency of the location. In the KHL, at least in some cases, you're not. To me it indicates an economy that almost certainly can't support the league.

Don't get me wrong though, I would like to see the Russians have a viable league of they're own. I just don't think they're doing a good job of it, and I also do not think they're idea of trying to directly compete with the major NA leagues is a good idea either- obviously they have to on a certain level but they don't have to make more of it than what it is.

The key is what you stated in your second paragraph, "the economy can't support the league." When the economy was flourishing, plenty of teams were able to pay those salaries. However, when the economy tanked like it has the past few years and when each team uses almost only corporate sponsorship cash to pay player salaries, something like this was bound to happen. Companies aren't in positions to make hefty corporate sponsorships like they were, hence Dynamo's financial debacle.

Essentially, given that the league has zero vested interest in their clubs its Game, Set, Match (Schlosky Bishop Block) for Dynamo. Sucks for their fans.

Guest Crymson

That's what they get for handing out those monstrous contracts. Like WCW once did.

That's a pretty good analogy.

I figured one of the smaller Russian teams would fold. Not Moscow Dynamo.

That's what they get for handing out those monstrous contracts. Like WCW once did.

Perfect example. That's exactly what this is. The only difference is WCW actually became number 1 for a few years before folding. :P

Gee, does this mean that my two Moscow Dynamo jerseys that Pasha signed might be collector's items now? Not that I'd ever part with them...

This is kinda sad, but it may be the beginning of a domino effect.

This is really sad, I feel really bad for the fans. say day for hockey.

If the KHL does fold, I wonder what type of affect it will have on the development of Russian players?

This is really sad, I feel really bad for the fans. say day for hockey.

If the KHL does fold, I wonder what type of affect it will have on the development of Russian players?

I'd like to say they'll come begging to get back into the NHL at bargain prices, but what'll happen is NHL managers will overpay for crappy, lazy players or they'll go into the other European leagues.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Bettman will use it as an excuse to open teams in 6 new markets, and completely kill the NHL for good as well.

Edited by CaliWingsNut