• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:05 AM

How is this the first thread about this?

This is a HUGE upset, especially considering Philly was a SO away from not even making the postseason...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#2 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

Yeah, I can't believe this. Who would've thought Philly would even win the series - let alone be the first team to do so?

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#3 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

3rd straight 1st round exit for the Devils.
I think Philly owned them in the regular season, and their fans were praying for this matchup... still impressive nonetheless.
I just hope it's not Philly the Wings meet in the Finals (if) -- be nice to play a postseason for once without facing Pronger and his elbows.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#4 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:12 AM

LOU WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?

I bet 4-1 devils in that thread that was on here, what a fail :/

#5 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:15 AM

The East is a joke. The Caps should crush the Flyers just based on the fact the Flyers shouldnt be able to put up enough goals to keep up. Once the Pens dispose of the s***ty Sens and the Bruins upset the Sabres the Pens will punish the Bruins. What a cake walk both the Pens and the Caps will have to get to the Conference Finals. There is such a massive inbalance in the quality of teams when comparing the Eastern Conference with the Western Conference.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#6 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

The Devils couldn't contain Leino, obviously. That was their downfall.

But seriously, it was not completely unexpected that Philly would put up a fight, but that they'd go and win it in 5?

Haven't seen much from the series, but it sounds like Boucher has played great and he's going to have to keep doing that if they don't want to get run over by Washington.

#7 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

Omg I am a happy man. Besides the redwings, the flyers are my favorite team. Glad they pulled the upset on the Devils to advance to the 2nd round. Now I all I need is for Montreal to come back and win so they don't have to play Ovi and the Caps! :scared:

Sad ending to a season for Brodeur, hes my favorite NHL goalie ever.

Posted Image

#8 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

Omg I am a happy man. Besides the redwings, the flyers are my favorite team. Glad they pulled the upset on the Devils to advance to the 2nd round. Now I all I need is for Montreal to come back and win so they don't have to play Ovi and the Caps! :scared:

Sad ending to a season for Brodeur, hes my favorite NHL goalie ever.

I've always kinda liked Philadelphia as well...or at least the last maybe 6 or 7 years anyways. Unfortunately for them there is no way Mtl comes back against Washington. Plus, without Carter and Gagne their O won't produce enough against the Caps. They'll have to pray their D can contain the Caps somehow.

#9 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:25 AM

Not so surprising ... didn't expect it in 5 though...
I hope they get fat and lazy with all the time off they will have before the next round starts.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#10 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:29 AM

Not so surprising ... didn't expect it in 5 though...
I hope they get fat and lazy with all the time off they will have before the next round starts.

my thought too... as was already pointed out, Phi killed them in the season series, but when they got Kovalchuk, I thought they were going to tear it up... with this early exit, I bet he tests FA now...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#11 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:32 AM

Does anyone else think playing Brodeur 75+ games a year might not be the best strategy going into the playoffs?
Especially when their backups have been having equal or better stats the past couple years.

Is the guy just padding his stats at this point?

Edited by egroen, 23 April 2010 - 08:32 AM.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#12 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:38 AM

Does anyone else think playing Brodeur 75+ games a year might not be the best strategy going into the playoffs?
Especially when their backups have been having equal or better stats the past couple years.

Is the guy just padding his stats at this point?

possible... it is nice to have a summer off, especially after you've already won 3 Stanley Cups... although I don't think that is the case, as Marty is one hell of a competitor and goaltender, I'm sure subconsciously it happens a little...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#13 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:43 AM

possible... it is nice to have a summer off, especially after you've already won 3 Stanley Cups... although I don't think that is the case, as Marty is one hell of a competitor and goaltender, I'm sure subconsciously it happens a little...

It just flat-out is not working.
When was the last time Brodeur has had a good tournament?

He gets yanked from the Olympics, 3 1st round exits in a row (all to lower seeds) -- you have to go back to the '05 World Cup and the '03 playoffs to find a Series where he really excelled.

#14 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:45 AM

It just flat-out is not working.
When was the last time Brodeur has had a good tournament?

He gets yanked from the Olympics, 3 1st round exits in a row (all to lower seeds) -- you have to go back to the '05 World Cup and the '03 playoffs to find a Series where he really excelled.

Indeed, he definitely doesn't look the same and whether it truly is fatigue, or just apathy, I think there's a good chance he hangs them up soon, if not this off season, next... he's definitely not the same Martin Brodeur from 5 years ago

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#15 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:55 AM

Changes coming to Jersey? 3rd straight 1st round exit.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#16 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

Changes coming to Jersey? 3rd straight 1st round exit.

I dont think they'll do anything major. They still have a great core of players. I do however think Kovalchuk will be testing the UFA waters despite Jersey's attempts to re-sign him.

For the record, Kovalchuk's playoff record is now 1-8. Any NHL teams still wanna throw $10M/yr long term at this guy?

#17 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

Hopefully Pronger and Ovechkin can simultaneously attempt to knee each other out of existence in the next round.

#18 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:12 AM

I dont think they'll do anything major. They still have a great core of players. I do however think Kovalchuk will be testing the UFA waters despite Jersey's attempts to re-sign him.

For the record, Kovalchuk's playoff record is now 1-8. Any NHL teams still wanna throw $10M/yr long term at this guy?

He was painfully average in his tenure in Jersey. Not bad, but not the sniper they were hoping for. Probably a product of Lemaire's defense first system. I won't be suprised to see him leave.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#19 I Red Wings I

I Red Wings I

Holy mackerel!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:14 AM

Over dramatic? He played for Atlanta and how do you rest a team's fate on 1 player? The Devils have had 3 straight first round eliminations and you want to put Kovy on a pedestal.

#20 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:17 AM

He was painfully average in his tenure in Jersey. Not bad, but not the sniper they were hoping for. Probably a product of Lemaire's defense first system. I won't be suprised to see him leave.

The KHL is gonna throw a huge offer at him.I wouldn't be surprised if he left the NHL.Paul Martin is a UFA,isn't he?I haven't really heard much about him as far as if he's gonna hit free agency or re-sign with the Devils.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien