• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

...So if Lids retires could we fit Kovs in next year? would we want to? Dats~Kovalchuk...wait is he an RFA or UFA? :unsure:
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#22 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

...So if Lids retires could we fit Kovs in next year? would we want to? Dats~Kovalchuk...wait is he an RFA or UFA? :unsure:

Kovalchuk will be a UFA
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#23 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

Philly is built for playoff hockey, gritty guys who play with heart and won't back down from top to bottom.

It sounds like Lappy is gonna be alright after blocking that puck with his face. He says he was stupid to not wear a shield and that he will from now on. Says he'll fight just as much but he'll ditch the helmet. He's a tough egg.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#24 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

Kovalchuk will make the league max in LA. He's like Hossa. A playoff choke. Although he has only been in the playoffs twice so maybe he should be cut a bit of slack.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#25 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:26 AM

Kovalchuk was MIA. His style of play in Atlanta was not even close to that used in New Jersey.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#26 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

Kovalchuk will make the league max in LA. He's like Hossa. A playoff choke. Although he has only been in the playoffs twice so maybe he should be cut a bit of slack.

Kovalchuk and Kopitar on the same line... :scared:

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#27 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

I'll say it again:
In Lou we trust bust.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#28 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

And they did it without their starting goalie. Boucher was actually very sub par the past 3 weeks leading up to the post season. But he's turned it on, and so have the rest of the flyers. This is definitely the biggest surprise for me so far during the playoffs. I thought for sure the devils would win in 7. Philly proved they're the better playoff team. I don't see them going to the finals or anything. But still, mad respect for not just beating, but destroying a very solid cup contender like new jersey.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#29 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

Over dramatic? He played for Atlanta and how do you rest a team's fate on 1 player? The Devils have had 3 straight first round eliminations and you want to put Kovy on a pedestal.

Bud, take it easy. THat comment was meant to be taken in jest. It wasn't serious.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#30 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:43 AM

The KHL is gonna throw a huge offer at him.I wouldn't be surprised if he left the NHL.Paul Martin is a UFA,isn't he?I haven't really heard much about him as far as if he's gonna hit free agency or re-sign with the Devils.

The KHL just had it's largest team fold and is about to fold as a whole league... no way they can afford him now, some NHL team will give him 9 a year and 9 a year living in the US > 12 a year in Russia anyway...

6 pts in 5 games... I'd hardly call that a choke...

UFA, but we can't afford him UNLESS Nick retires... no way possible...

with that said, I never want to see the day come where Nick retires, but if it HAS to come, Kovy would be a nice consolation prize...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#31 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:47 AM

The KHL just had it's largest team fold and is about to fold as a whole league... no way they can afford him now, some NHL team will give him 9 a year and 9 a year living in the US > 12 a year in Russia anyway...

6 pts in 5 games... I'd hardly call that a choke...

UFA, but we can't afford him UNLESS Nick retires... no way possible...

with that said, I never want to see the day come where Nick retires, but if it HAS to come, Kovy would be a nice consolation prize...

IF Nick retires,Brent Seabrook would be a nice consolation prize.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#32 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

IF Nick retires,Brent Seabrook would be a nice consolation prize.

No chance - There's no way in HELL he EVER even sniffs FA... Chicago will re-sign him.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#33 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

A lot of talk about NJ trying to get Carey Price.

They need to do something.

#34 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:20 AM

No chance - There's no way in HELL he EVER even sniffs FA... Chicago will re-sign him.

True.They're gonna have to let a few guys go tho.Their cap issue is BAD

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#35 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

True.They're gonna have to let a few guys go tho.Their cap issue is BAD

but Keith and Seabrook will be neither of those... they are the CORE of their defense... I'm sure they'll get someone to take Campbell's bloated contract by attaching someone like Versteeg or Sharp to the deal, for little in return, basically trading cap space for value...

Sharp and Campbell to Carolina for high picks, prospects and maybe someone like Alexandre Picard in return?

I could see something like that happening... Carolina gets a bonafide top 6 guy and a top 4 D and Chicago gets some prospects and high picks and a ton of cap relief... makes sense to me...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#36 Guest_screwdahawks (Guest)

Guest_screwdahawks (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:55 AM

Does anyone else think playing Brodeur 75+ games a year might not be the best strategy going into the playoffs?
Especially when their backups have been having equal or better stats the past couple years.

Is the guy just padding his stats at this point?

I was thinking the same thing. He's gonna be 38 next month. In my mind I can still do what I did 10 years ago but my body just can't manage to follow through..... 60 games should be the max for any goalie. Kipper has the same problem as Brodeur in my opinion.....

#37 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

I was thinking the same thing. He's gonna be 38 next month. In my mind I can still do what I did 10 years ago but my body just can't manage to follow through..... 60 games should be the max for any goalie. Kipper has the same problem as Brodeur in my opinion.....

I'd go one further and say that 50-55 should be the max for any starter, considering he's probably going to need at least another 20-25 to win a Stanley cup and the fatigue factor on goalies is very clear...

Kipper will never win a cup for that very reason, they play him too much and when it comes to play important games, he's out of gas...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#38 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

A lot of talk about NJ trying to get Carey Price.

They need to do something.

He's a RFA and the offer sheet will be more than 3.5M or whatever so it will require 1st rounders and stuff, and NJ already sent a 1st rounder to atlanta in the kovie deal, not very smart to be without first rounders 2 years in a row...for the future that is.

#39 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

He's a RFA and the offer sheet will be more than 3.5M or whatever so it will require 1st rounders and stuff, and NJ already sent a 1st rounder to atlanta in the kovie deal, not very smart to be without first rounders 2 years in a row...for the future that is.

The talk is about shipping Langenbrunner out possibly.

#40 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

I think Flyers winning was not a surprise at all. They had a good record against Devils in the regular season. I watched two Flyers-Devils games in the regular season and they looked solid.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!