• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

but Keith and Seabrook will be neither of those... they are the CORE of their defense... I'm sure they'll get someone to take Campbell's bloated contract by attaching someone like Versteeg or Sharp to the deal, for little in return, basically trading cap space for value...

Sharp and Campbell to Carolina for high picks, prospects and maybe someone like Alexandre Picard in return?

I could see something like that happening... Carolina gets a bonafide top 6 guy and a top 4 D and Chicago gets some prospects and high picks and a ton of cap relief... makes sense to me...

Sharp and Versteeg have been rumored to be leaving ever since the deadline.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#42 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

i actually called this upset. philly beat devils 5 times out of 6 regular season, devils kryptonite

#43 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

Why is this a surprise? Philly has owned Jersey all year.

Brodeur has now been outplayed in the playoffs since the lockout by guys like Ray Emery, Brian Boucher and Cam Ward.

Yet no one in the hockey media is as willing to criticize him as they are willing to suck him off whenever Jersey wins. I'm tired of the blind love Fatso gets.

Yeah, I can't believe this. Who would've thought Philly would even win the series - let alone be the first team to do so?

I did, and I also picked Boston to beat Buffalo.

I'm on pace to go 8-0 right now the way things are looking. :yowza: First time for everything I guess.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#44 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

Brodeur has now been outplayed in the playoffs since the lockout by guys like Ray Emery, Brian Boucher and Cam Ward.

Yet no one in the hockey media is as willing to criticize him as they are willing to suck him off whenever Jersey wins. I'm tired of the blind love Fatso gets.

Considering the voters love affair with the Games Played and Shut Outs stats for goalies, he could continue to pull in Vezina nominations for the next 5 years... with 5 more first-round exits.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#45 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

Considering the voters love affair with the Games Played and Shut Outs stats for goalies, he could continue to pull in Vezina nominations for the next 5 years... with 5 more first-round exits.

I just know that the NHL media will blame Kovalchuk or Jersey's other offensive stars, and will leave Brodeur mostly free of blame.

I hate that he has earned some kind of immunity for winning Cups by playing on defensive minded teams that employed the "trap". He deserves a lot of blame in this series and for their previous playoff failures. No way should "the greatest goalie ever" (yeah right) be outplayed by Brian Boucher.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#46 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

Speaking of overrating Brodeur. Have you guys watched any Devils games with the Devils feed? I don't know what's the name of the commentator there (Chico maybe?) but after EVERY goal the Devils allow he's trying to explain why Brodeur had no chance on that one. It's just so ridiculous to listen as he always blames the defenders or the luck or just praises how the shot was the best he has seen. Brodeur makes no mistakes, I guess.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#47 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:33 PM

Playoff Hockey.

Posted Image

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#48 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

Sept 4, 2009 - Flyers v Wings finals prediction

course right afterword I predicted Leino would be scoring 35...oops.

I at least got the coyotes not in Canada thing right!

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#49 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:44 PM

I'm honestly not that surprised - the Flyers ran roughshod over them in the regular season, and have a lot of players who are built for the playoffs. New Jersey has a recent history of playoff disappointment, so it's nice to see them keep that up.

Shame about Carter and Gagne though. It will be interesting to see Leino try to adapt to postseason NHL hockey.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#50 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

I did, and I also picked Boston to beat Buffalo.

I'm on pace to go 8-0 right now the way things are looking. :yowza: First time for everything I guess.

It's a surprise, because they're not the same teams, AT ALL, that met in the regular season...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#51 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

I was going to start a thread on this when it happened but I couldnt find the "start new thread" button!

I was so happy that the Devils lost. Brodeur has now had first round exits the last 3 years, if I remember correctly. They are so boring to watch and killed my fantasy team when they picked up Kovy, and killed his season. F the Devils.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#52 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

Speaking of overrating Brodeur. Have you guys watched any Devils games with the Devils feed? I don't know what's the name of the commentator there (Chico maybe?) but after EVERY goal the Devils allow he's trying to explain why Brodeur had no chance on that one. It's just so ridiculous to listen as he always blames the defenders or the luck or just praises how the shot was the best he has seen. Brodeur makes no mistakes, I guess.

Yep, they'll never say a single bad thing about Brodeur on the local telecasts. It's amazing. Contrast that with Ken, Mickey and Larry who will be brutally honest if Jimmy or Ozzie let in a goal that they shouldn't have. The fact of the matter is that Brodeur hasn't been very good at all in the past few years when it matters most (and that includes the Olympics).

Look at his stats for the past three postseasons:

2010:
1-4, 3.01 GAA, .881 SV%

2009:
3-4, 2.39 GAA, .929 SV%

2008:
1-4, 3.19 GAA, .891 SV%

It could be argued that playing seven games in 2009 made Brodeur's stats better than they might have otherwise been, but it's still a first round exit. Like I said earlier, he's not completely to blame - you can't win if you don't score - but Marty's not helping things by basically guaranteeing that his offense has to score at least 4 goals a game to have a shot at winning.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#53 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

Yep, they'll never say a single bad thing about Brodeur on the local telecasts. It's amazing. Contrast that with Ken, Mickey and Larry who will be brutally honest if Jimmy or Ozzie let in a goal that they shouldn't have. The fact of the matter is that Brodeur hasn't been very good at all in the past few years when it matters most (and that includes the Olympics).

Look at his stats for the past three postseasons:

2010:
1-4, 3.01 GAA, .881 SV%

2009:
3-4, 2.39 GAA, .929 SV%

2008:
1-4, 3.19 GAA, .891 SV%

It could be argued that playing seven games in 2009 made Brodeur's stats better than they might have otherwise been, but it's still a first round exit. Like I said earlier, he's not completely to blame - you can't win if you don't score - but Marty's not helping things by basically guaranteeing that his offense has to score at least 4 goals a game to have a shot at winning.

pretty telling stats...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#54 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

He's not the right kind of goalie for today's game. He's still a great goaltender tho.

He made himself known playing in games where he had a bit more room. Today's game everyone is crowding the net, making goalies a much more precision and tactics game, compared to the pure ability to stop a shot (you can see).

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#55 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:24 AM

I thought for sure Philadelphia would be done when both Emery and Leighton went down, leaving journeyman Brian Boucher as their starting netminder. Gotta tip my hat to him, he was great in this series.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#56 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

In goalie terms Brodeur is old. Most goalies roll over and die by the time they reach 37. I think he's still good, but he's not great anymore. I won't hold it against him because he's accomplished everything he's ever wanted to do.

Impotence happens...Brodeur is just the latest victim.

Edited by puffy, 24 April 2010 - 03:06 PM.

#57 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

And it means the earliest that a Washington - Pittsburgh series can happen is...

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#58 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

f***it. Let's do 1997 again.

Posted Image

#59 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

f***it. Let's do 1997 again.

Posted Image

Who needs 1997? Just sneeze infront of the bastard and you'll get the same result ;)

#60 miksteri

miksteri

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:21 AM

I agree with Brodeur playing wwaayy too much in the regular series but do Devils have a guy that compliments Kovie playing? In Atlanta he had Savard for a season or 2...
I dont see a player of Savards type in the Devils roster.