• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crotty99

Howard's Save

Rate this topic

I caught Sportcenter's top 10 at number 6 and I thought for sure this would be in the top 3. Basketball and baseball :thumbdown:

Jovanovski's goal was #10. Howard's saves weren't even included.

Jovanovski's goal was #10. Howard's saves weren't even included.

Huh? Jovo's goal wasn't even anything special, considering he was standing on Jimmy when he did it. Weird ESPN just baffles me sometimes.

Howard won't, but should win the Calder. He's certainly the MVP of the rookies. Zetterberg got ROBBED of his calder, I think the league should make amends and give it to Howard. That would be nice.

This is playoff goal-tending. While you can't blame your goalie for letting in the unstoppable goal in the regular season, a team NEEDS their goalie to do the unthinkable in the playoffs if they want the Cup. Howard stepped up his game with that stop.

Guest scottj

well sportscenter's top 10 usually has at least 1-2 identical plays where somebody steals a basektball n then runs to the other side of the court n dunks it... like it barely happens or something

JimmyHoward2-1.gif

Watching the videos in your post and your avatar simultaneously is giving me a headache...but in the best way possible. :D

I can't stop watching Jimmy's saves on Hanzal though. Incredible.

if he didnt stop that we probably would have lost that game!

howard you are the man! keep up the good work

I wouldn't go THAT far...but that save definitely bought us the time to do what we ended up doing.

Howard is going to be a phenom. He couldn't have picked a better year to up his game. I just hope the rookie jitters don't come back next series :)

Howard is fully capable of leading us to the cup. We've all seen what he can do.

Hope Ozzie is helping him find his zen :)

I officially apologize to Howard for my comments when the season started. Bravo, Jimmy, Bravo! We often talk about goalies stealing games and series' and Stanley Cups, aside from one goal so far this round, Howard has stood on his chin. Hell even Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur gave up the (more than) occasional bad goal or two. There is no doubt the torch has been passed from Osgood to Howard. I only hope that Howard doesn't fall into the Osgood category in which "He played behind the Red Wings" stays on his back forever.

Who cares what the media says?

This is the same media that votes in a guy like Mike Green for top 3 in the Norris. The same media that called Chris Osgood the worst goaltender to win a cup. The same media that predicted the Wings would be done without Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov, etc.

Howard only needs to prove himself to the Detroit ******* Red Wings. He is doing it right now, regardless of the team in front of him.

Watching the videos in your post and your avatar simultaneously is giving me a headache...but in the best way possible. :D

I can't stop watching Jimmy's saves on Hanzal though. Incredible.

It's like Jimmy in surround sound but the video version.

Jimmy made the save(s) of the game and of our series. If Phoenix scores, the game probably goes downhill from there resulting possibly in a loss. Needless to say, Jimmy saves our ass again.....hopefully the NHL recognizes it and gives him the Calder.

God Bless the United States of Jimmy.

Guest scottj

If Jimmy hasn't greatly exceeded everybody's expectations yet.... well, your expectations were way too high you retard

Guest Crymson

Jimmy made the save(s) of the game and of our series. If Phoenix scores, the game probably goes downhill from there resulting possibly in a loss. Needless to say, Jimmy saves our ass again.....hopefully the NHL recognizes it and gives him the Calder.

God Bless the United States of Jimmy.

Voting for the awards occurred before the playoffs began.

I was kinda hoping this wouldn't be the save that showed up in this thread, because while it looked flashy and he stopped it, it was not great. He was not square to the shooter and he gave up a really s***ty and dangerous rebound that he was VERY lucky to stop because if you really watched it, Howard rolled towards Hanzal and Hanzal fires the shot basically cross-ice and hits him in the chest. The second shot was never going to go in at all, goalie or empty net. It's like making a diving glove save on a shot that would otherwise miss the net and bounce to your defenseman. Great for the cameras, but no real danger of a goal on that shot. The first shot was the only dangerous one, and Howie played it poorly by allowing the rebound to go to Hanzal.

I was kinda hoping this wouldn't be the save that showed up in this thread, because while it looked flashy and he stopped it, it was not great. He was not square to the shooter and he gave up a really s***ty and dangerous rebound that he was VERY lucky to stop because if you really watched it, Howard rolled towards Hanzal and Hanzal fires the shot basically cross-ice and hits him in the chest. The second shot was never going to go in at all, goalie or empty net. It's like making a diving glove save on a shot that would otherwise miss the net and bounce to your defenseman. Great for the cameras, but no real danger of a goal on that shot. The first shot was the only dangerous one, and Howie played it poorly by allowing the rebound to go to Hanzal.

While I agree that Howie should have better controlled his rebound, I fully disagree that the second shot didn't matter. I'm seeing Howie stop the puck with the inside of his blocker, positioned directly between Hanzel and the net.

Edited by Echolalia

While I agree that Howie should have better controlled his rebound, I fully disagree that the second shot didn't matter. I'm seeing Howie stop the puck with the inside of his blocker, positioned directly between Hanzel and the net.

Looks more like it hits him in the chest or on the arm just below the shoulder, and rolls off; part of the reason I think this is the fact that it looks like it almost comes out of his pants while he completes his roll, but his blocker is already completely on the ice. It hit him somewhere between the gut and shoulder, most likely right in the chest based on the way it bounced. Had it hit him in the arm, it would have done one or more of these things:

1) Deflected off his blocker.

2) Forced his arm back.

3) Knocked his stick out of his hand.

4) Rebounded back towards Hanzal.

5) Slid inwards along the ice towards Howard.

6) Frozen under Howard's arm.

It did none of those things, and instead was shot at Howard's upper body, deflecting towards and then off of his pants towards the goal, allowing him to freeze the slowly sliding puck with his glove as he completed his roll.

Guest Crymson

You're fairly negative on every Wings-related subject that doesn't include Jiri Hudler.

I imagine you feel that Jiri Hudler would be a better goaltender than Howard.

Looks more like it hits him in the chest or on the arm just below the shoulder, and rolls off; part of the reason I think this is the fact that it looks like it almost comes out of his pants while he completes his roll, but his blocker is already completely on the ice. It hit him somewhere between the gut and shoulder, most likely right in the chest based on the way it bounced. Had it hit him in the arm, it would have done one or more of these things:

1) Deflected off his blocker.

2) Forced his arm back.

3) Knocked his stick out of his hand.

4) Rebounded back towards Hanzal.

5) Slid inwards along the ice towards Howard.

6) Frozen under Howard's arm.

It did none of those things, and instead was shot at Howard's upper body, deflecting towards and then off of his pants towards the goal, allowing him to freeze the slowly sliding puck with his glove as he completed his roll.

Take a look at the replay from the goalcam. Its probably best to go to youtube to see it so you can fullscreen it at a high resolution. Anyway, when Hanzal shoots the puck you can see that the puck looks like its going to end up hitting the goalcam, but Howie gets his blocker over and the puck drops to the ice before it goes in.