• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ACE

The Mule

Rate this topic

What is wrong with the Mule ? He looks to be playing very uninspired hockey, there we times in the game last night and through the playoffs that he could have easily drove the net to create a scoring chance but instead he made soft plays with poor results. He is giving the puck away to often.We all know what he has done in past playoffs and for the Wings to go far in the playoffs we need him to get back to his old ways. Hope he comes up with a big game 6 and builds some confidence.LETS GO WINGS ;)

He also seems to be a very streaky goal scorer. When he is hot, WATCH OUT! But when hes not....hes just average. Hopefully he hits his stride for next game and that carries over to the next series. (Should we make it out of this one, dont want to jinx anything hehe :P )

Actually last nite in the 3rd he really picked up and was looking hungry for a goal, which is what I haven't seen! I predict a big game 6 for Franzen;)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha <_< f***, game 7 then!

Edited by 13dangledangle

He's forcing the play too much, I think.

He knows he's a scorer who isn't scoring, so like any nonscoring scorer will do when their scoring core is sore, he forces the core to overscore, of course, which as we all know is a poor way to try to score.

When he starts putting them in, the floodgates will open.

He's forcing the play too much, I think.

He knows he's a scorer who isn't scoring, so like any nonscoring scorer will do when their scoring core is sore, he forces the core to overscore, of course, which as we all know is a poor way to try to score.

When he starts putting them in, the floodgates will open.

"Certain stars, superseded serious Stanley Cup superstition."

Anybody know what that's from?

Guest mindfly

Why can't they switch to that dangerous second line of last playoffs

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

And Pavel can play with bertuzzi and holmstrom which worked earlier in the year

Just don't get it...

Mule keeps waiting too long to shoot, then the play get's closed off and he ends up going around the net. The same thing was happening to Bert all season long. Can't wait or the play closed down. JUST SHOOT please. It's like they want to show off the deke skillz. Just SHOOT!

I think he and the rest of the guys are reading their own press, such as Babcock telling them they are more talented than their opponent. Babs should be telling the press they are lazier than their opponent.

Let's go Mule!!!

Red Wings' Johan Franzen hopes Game 1 goal against Sharks re-ignites his scoring touch

By Ansar Khan

April 30, 2010, 11:45PM

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Picking up a point in every game during the first round of the playoffs qualifies as a hot streak for most players.

Not Johan Franzen. He set a high standard for himself during the Detroit Red Wings' playoff runs in 2008 and '09. So when he emerged from the series against Phoenix with only one goal, it was surprising to some and alarming to others.

Many wondered why he wasn't driving to the net with authority, why he wasn't using his 6-foot-3, 222-pound frame to win more physical battles, and whether he had a setback from the torn knee ligament that idled him for the first three-quarters of the season.

Franzen acknowledged he was pressing against the Coyotes. He is hoping his second goal of the playoffs, during Thursday's 4-3 loss to the San Jose Sharks in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals, gets him jump-started.

"I've had some really good chances lately, couldn't get it in the net,'' Franzen said. "I started to squeeze the stick way too hard. Hopefully, this goal will help me get going.

"When you miss a lot of chances, it just gets harder and harder. It felt good to get one and hopefully get some confidence back.''

Franzen accumulated an NHL-best 25 goals in the '08 and '09 playoffs combined. That's one more than teammate Henrik Zetterberg and Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin, the last two Conn Smythe Trophy winners as playoff MVP, each scored.

Secondary scoring from Franzen, Dan Cleary and Todd Bertuzzi will be even more vital for the Red Wings against a Sharks club that is much more potent than the Coyotes. Game 2 is Sunday at HP Pavilion.

"It's important for his confidence knowing the puck can go in for him,'' Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom said. "He's got to continue to shoot the puck and work hard. It's important when you get guys who haven't scored to chip in and get the confidence up a little bit.''

The Sharks hope a sleeping giant didn't wake up in Game 1.

"A lot of times power forwards just bowl their way to the net and jam away, but he has a touch with the puck,'' said San Jose coach Todd McLellan, a former Red Wings assistant who worked with Franzen for three years. "He's got a point in all eight playoff games, so he's been a factor in each of the games at some point and probably will continue to be.''

Sharks defenseman Rob Blake knows how difficult it can be trying to contain Franzen.

"He's got a lot of skill, he's big, he's strong, he moves well,'' Blake said. "He's got quick hands and he can shoot the puck, too. So he's got a great combination and he's got (Pavel) Datsyuk feeding him.''

As much as Datsyuk talks about needing to shoot more, he knows he must get the puck to Franzen, especially when he's feeling it.

"It's really good he scored if he (was frustrated), but I think he (doesn't) have to be frustrated, he had points every game,'' Datsyuk said. "I think he can get going now. My job now is more to deliver the puck for them (Franzen and his other winger, either Tomas Holmstrom or Dan Cleary). Make sure they shoot.''

Diminutive Sharks center Scott Nichol said it's up to the team's big forwards to contain Franzen.

"You just got to get good body position and don't give him much time and space with the puck," Nichol said. "He's kind of like a carbon copy of Clowie (San Jose forward Ryane Clowe), big and strong and hangs onto the puck, and it's tough to (take it away). No use just diving in on him because he'll just outmuscle you.''

I guess I'm in the minority, but I've been pretty happy with Mule so far. Considering the injury he came back from, I've seen him working hard and digging deep, being effective. He is currently 3rd on the team in playoff points, behind Datsyuk and Zetterberg.... pretty much exactly where he should be.

He has had a ton of chances, but just hasn't buried it like in years past. That will come soon. He takes a ton of shots from good spots, soon it will go in.

A little late here, but THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!! I can't remember now if the goal came before or after the slash to the face, but if it was after, well, hell yeah all the more! Hope this is the beginning of a streak. Maybe I shouldn't say that. I'm so superstitious, heh.