• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
2guns

Suspend Hossa?

Rate this topic

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The "I didn't do it before" argument isn't pathetic. When a player like Hossa has 10 years in the league without any supplemental disclipline, it's safe to say he's not a dirty player.

Yet, Pronger, Cooke, Ruutu, Laraque etc. all have a history so the benefit of doubt would not apply to them like it does to Hossa in this situation.

That said I wouldn't mind a one game suspension, these hits are very dangerous, but this was not a bloodthirsty check from behind therefore I don't see them suspending him. They gave him a 5 minute major in the last couple minutes of a game when his team was down a goal. That's a pretty steep punishment.

And the severity of the injury always plays a role in the punishment. If I shoot a man, and he lives my punishment would not be as severe as it would if he died. Or if I steal a pack of gum over a $40000 dollar car, or if I get in a bar fight and the person I fight gets brain damaged instead of a concussion etc... The level of punishment in our society depends on the severity of the outcome, it might not be fair, but that's why you don't break the rules in the first place you might not be lucky.

I Guess you have a "HISTORY" then.... Shouldnt matter.... You did the crime....do the time..... Should Hossa get a Cooke like suspension.... No I agree there. It is mearly to set a standard in saying "these are not tolerable hits...No matter WHO YOU ARE".

I Guess you have a "HISTORY" then.... Shouldnt matter.... You did the crime....do the time..... Should Hossa get a Cooke like suspension.... No I agree there. It is mearly to set a standard in saying "these are not tolerable hits...No matter WHO YOU ARE".

Well, it's not like this hit went unpunished. To me I really don't think this hit deserves more discipline, it didn't seem to have the force and finish like the Ovechkin hit, and to me that's the difference between a 5 minute major and a 5 minute game misconduct(and suspension).

If you think this is identical to the Ovechkin hit then we'll just have to disagree, I just don't see the Hossa hit being as violent as Ovechkin's was.

Well, it's not like this hit went unpunished. To me I really don't think this hit deserves more discipline, it didn't seem to have the force and finish like the Ovechkin hit, and to me that's the difference between a 5 minute major and a 5 minute game misconduct(and suspension).

If you think this is identical to the Ovechkin hit then we'll just have to disagree, I just don't see the Hossa hit being as violent as Ovechkin's was.

As Violent? No... It's the TYPE of hit that I don't like. and it needs to be discouraged at all costs. Should not let players take liberties like that just because of their "History"

The more of Carman's posts I read, the more I find us agreeing.

Just like the Ovechkin hit, I really doubt Hossa meant any harm, but becuase Ovie was suspended for nearly the same sort of hit, Hossa should be too. Then again... it is the NHL, not very consistant with this sort of thing.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Judge by intent, not aftermath. Hossa did not mean to slam him like that, it was moreso the Hawk player losing balance.

People need to understand that Ovechkin was a repeat offender. He already had 2 game misconducts before, so with that game misconduct he was going to be suspended anyways. He got the extra game because of his intent, and the final result of what happened.

As big as a double-standard as that is, whether a player dies or not seems to factor in to how severely they are punished.

Edited by Biolink

Guest Crymson

I'm sick of seeing this crap and a suspension during the playoffs, especially to a star player is the only real punishment available to the league. I really don't care if it's borderline legal or open to debate legal. It's just a downright stupid play on Hossa's behalf and I'm all for sending a message for injuries caused by stupidity.

Yeah, and we all know how terrible the league is about this stuff. Remember what they did with Pronger in '07?

"You laid down a seriously dangerous and highly-illegal hit to the head on Holmstrom! You are suspended for one game!"

A week later...

"You have, three games later, laid down yet another highly-illegal and seriously dangerous hit to the head, this time on McAmmond! You are now a repeat offender, and there were only two games between the incidents! This must be dealt with, and it must be dealt with now! We must show loudly and clearly that this behavior towards one's peers will not be tolerated!!! And so you shall recieve... ANOTHER ONE-GAME SUSPENSION!!!!!"

Sigh...

Edited by Crymson

Guest Blackhawkdown

If Nashville wins that game, and Hossa doesnt score the game winning goal, I can almost gaurantee a suspension for Hossa wouldnt even be being discussed. Not that I am complaining about it being discussed, just saying I think the result of the game is making this sting even more for the fans, so they have to vent out of frustration. (not so much on this board, but just overall on some other sites I have been on)

From TSN :

Chicago Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa had a disciplinary hearing with National Hockey League this afternoon for the boarding penalty he received on Saturday when he knocked Predators' defenceman Dan Hamhuis into the boards in the third period.

Maybe he'll be named "Player of the Week".