Suspend Hossa?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

Jr. Prospect

• 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:33 AM

I dislike Hossa as much as the next guy but he barely touched him. I'm surprised he got 5 minutes for that...

#22 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:48 AM

Posted Image
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#23 Tommy_Like_Wingy

Tommy_Like_Wingy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:03 AM

I dislike Hossa as much as the next guy but he barely touched him. I'm surprised he got 5 minutes for that...

This.

I don't understand how some of you are comparing this to the Ovie hit unless I'm not watching the same two videos right now. Hossa barely got a glove on him and Hamhuis went down like a ton of bricks. Ovechkin literally jutted both arms out on Campbell and it resulted in broken bones I believe. Hamhuis just shook it off and skated to the bench. Just looking at the replay you plainly see Hossa stick his arm out...not even a pushing motion. I don't even fully understand how Hamhuis went down so easily unless he was trying to turn and lost an edge.

#24 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:21 AM

I don't hate Hossa like most Wings fans, but in my eyes, it was a nasty hit worthy of punishment.

How can you not hate him? If he even played to 50% of his ability the Wings would of won the Cup last season, GUARANTEED. Hossa has the most blame for under performing last play-offs. Now you want him to win a Cup with a new team? If you hate Chicago, you need to hate Hossa. Hossa doesn't deserve a cup. He's a cup chaser, who doesn't want to put in the work, the time, the effort. He didn't last season, why would it be so great if he won it now? f*** Marian Hossa.

#25 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:28 AM

i will say one game. it was not as bad as the ovie on campbell but he did shove him and dude lost it going into the boards. i would think the nhl would want to avoid injuries attributed to this type of play but i could see them not tossin out the hoss for a game...but i say yes..for a game.

#26 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:29 AM

I don't think he will get suspended because the player he hit wasn't injured. I think that was a factor in the Ovechkin suspension.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#27 Blackhawkdown

Blackhawkdown

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:23 AM

No way he should get suspended. Hossa is not a repeat offender, it wasnt anywhere near as bad as what Ovie did, and Hamhuis wasnt hurt.

I thought the 5 minute penalty was a little harsh, could have been only a 2 minute penalty, but In the end I am ok with what they called. The hit looked worse than it really was, so I can see why they called a 5 minute penalty.

However, if he does get one game, I wouldnt ***** and complain. Hits like that are VERY dangerous, and if they are going to try and crack down on them, I dont have a problem with that. I dont think he should get a game, but if he does he does.

Edited by Blackhawkdown, 25 April 2010 - 04:34 AM.

#28 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:22 AM

I dunno if he should or not, based on 5 words...and the oscar goes to...
Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#29 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:22 AM

It's a very similar hit to the Campbell hit. Hamhuis was turning to go around the net and Hossa got enough of him just to throw him off balance. Again, I think it's a similar situation to the Campbell hit. I say a game for consistency, but we know that doesn't exist in the NHL.

#30 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:12 AM

No for me. He barely touched him, just a gentle shove which caught Hamhuis in a freak way. And when you consider that Hamhuis wasn't injured, its the playoffs, and they called a 5 minute major on the play, no way the NHL will hand out a suspension.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#31 hockeygods

hockeygods

TonySmith

• 32 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:16 AM

a players history should only factor how long the suspension is for not wether or not a suspension is worthy

#32 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:27 AM

It was the exact same hit Ovechkin put on Campbell (in the same freaking building too). It HAS to be a two game suspension. No more, no less. To do anything else makes the NHL look like a joke. You can't say, "Well its the playoffs, you can't suspend a game for that many games." Players will go out there and kill each other knowing that the penalty won't be as bad as it would have been in the regular season.

#33 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:32 AM

Is it the same type of hit as Ovechkin's? Yep.

Was it with as much force and speed? Nope.

That's why I don't think he's getting suspended. Plus he doesn't have a history of borderline hits and it's the playoffs.

Although I wouldn't cry if he got suspended, I hate these type of hits.

#34 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:01 AM

Wasn't a big push, but that's not the point. For consistency this must be a suspension.

#35 RedArmy

RedArmy

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

he barely touched the guy... yes it might have been a dangerous "hit", but it wasn't a vicious cross check into the boards. I think people are over reacting a bit, I think 5 minutes wouldn't have been shelled out if the guy didn't smash against the boards so bad. If he just fell and then got up it might habve been a 2 minutes minor...

#36 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:28 AM

I don't think he intended to injure him. He does need to have some accountability though. I wouldn't suspend him but I damn sure would have made sure he wasn't around to score the winner. If they asked me why I ejected him I would have said I ran him for stupidity.

Just like your responsible for your stick you have to be responsible for where you are on the ice. Whatever the league does won't matter, what will matter is if the players figure out is it worth possibly ending someones career.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#37 motorcitykid

motorcitykid

Red Wings DJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:42 AM

How can you not hate him? If he even played to 50% of his ability the Wings would of won the Cup last season, GUARANTEED. Hossa has the most blame for under performing last play-offs. Now you want him to win a Cup with a new team? If you hate Chicago, you need to hate Hossa. Hossa doesn't deserve a cup. He's a cup chaser, who doesn't want to put in the work, the time, the effort. He didn't last season, why would it be so great if he won it now? f*** Marian Hossa.

Very well said.
A few more points in the Finals, geez maybe A GOAL or two and we would've won another Cup. He came here to win. He was suppose to contribute - and he didn't.

As for the hit, it's not really the same as Ovechkins. Five minutes was fair.

Edited by motorcitykid, 25 April 2010 - 08:43 AM.

#38 PRStoetzer

PRStoetzer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:42 AM

He won't be suspended. There was no intent to injure on the play. He's not a repeat offender. There was no injury to the head (which is why it wasn't a game misconduct).

#39 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

The league claims not to suspend based on the resulting injury. If that's the case, they'll suspend Hossa. He's not a repeat offender like Ovie was and it's the playoffs, so it'd be a game, max.

The reality is though that he didn't even get a game misconduct like Ovechkin did. A suspension likely isn't coming and the NHL still lacks any bit of consistency.

#40 Biolink

Biolink

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

By god, he'd better get a f@#$ing suspension. He laid down the EXACT SAME HIT AS OVECHKIN LAID DOWN ON CAMPBELL... and he did it while Campbell was on the ice, haha.

If he doesn't get a major suspension, then the NHL has made yet another joke of its own disciplinary system.

I'm struggling to see how this was the "EXACT SAME HIT AS OVECHKIN LAID DOWN ON CAMPBELL"...

Ovi with 2 hands shoved Campbell into the boards from behind AFTER Campbell gets rid of the puck.

In this situation both Hamhuis and Hossa are racin for the puck. Hossa gave Hamuhis a light nudge from behind, and he must have blew a tire. 99% of the time I doubt an NHL calibur skater would take that bad of a fall from a 1 handed nudge unless they blew a tire.

I could understand if the NHL definitely suspended Hossa for a game, because it sets a precedent and gives leeway for more thing's like this to happen. But for the NHL to suspend Hossa they would have to admit that they fluffed up, and should have kicked him out of the game right then, rather than allowing him to come back and score the game winning goal.