• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
2guns

Suspend Hossa?

Rate this topic

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Blackhawkdown

No way he should get suspended. Hossa is not a repeat offender, it wasnt anywhere near as bad as what Ovie did, and Hamhuis wasnt hurt.

I thought the 5 minute penalty was a little harsh, could have been only a 2 minute penalty, but In the end I am ok with what they called. The hit looked worse than it really was, so I can see why they called a 5 minute penalty.

However, if he does get one game, I wouldnt ***** and complain. Hits like that are VERY dangerous, and if they are going to try and crack down on them, I dont have a problem with that. I dont think he should get a game, but if he does he does.

Edited by Blackhawkdown

It's a very similar hit to the Campbell hit. Hamhuis was turning to go around the net and Hossa got enough of him just to throw him off balance. Again, I think it's a similar situation to the Campbell hit. I say a game for consistency, but we know that doesn't exist in the NHL.

No for me. He barely touched him, just a gentle shove which caught Hamhuis in a freak way. And when you consider that Hamhuis wasn't injured, its the playoffs, and they called a 5 minute major on the play, no way the NHL will hand out a suspension.

It was the exact same hit Ovechkin put on Campbell (in the same freaking building too). It HAS to be a two game suspension. No more, no less. To do anything else makes the NHL look like a joke. You can't say, "Well its the playoffs, you can't suspend a game for that many games." Players will go out there and kill each other knowing that the penalty won't be as bad as it would have been in the regular season.

Is it the same type of hit as Ovechkin's? Yep.

Was it with as much force and speed? Nope.

That's why I don't think he's getting suspended. Plus he doesn't have a history of borderline hits and it's the playoffs.

Although I wouldn't cry if he got suspended, I hate these type of hits.

he barely touched the guy... yes it might have been a dangerous "hit", but it wasn't a vicious cross check into the boards. I think people are over reacting a bit, I think 5 minutes wouldn't have been shelled out if the guy didn't smash against the boards so bad. If he just fell and then got up it might habve been a 2 minutes minor...

I don't think he intended to injure him. He does need to have some accountability though. I wouldn't suspend him but I damn sure would have made sure he wasn't around to score the winner. If they asked me why I ejected him I would have said I ran him for stupidity.

Just like your responsible for your stick you have to be responsible for where you are on the ice. Whatever the league does won't matter, what will matter is if the players figure out is it worth possibly ending someones career.

How can you not hate him? If he even played to 50% of his ability the Wings would of won the Cup last season, GUARANTEED. Hossa has the most blame for under performing last play-offs. Now you want him to win a Cup with a new team? If you hate Chicago, you need to hate Hossa. Hossa doesn't deserve a cup. He's a cup chaser, who doesn't want to put in the work, the time, the effort. He didn't last season, why would it be so great if he won it now? f*** Marian Hossa.

Very well said.

A few more points in the Finals, geez maybe A GOAL or two and we would've won another Cup. He came here to win. He was suppose to contribute - and he didn't.

As for the hit, it's not really the same as Ovechkins. Five minutes was fair.

Edited by motorcitykid

The league claims not to suspend based on the resulting injury. If that's the case, they'll suspend Hossa. He's not a repeat offender like Ovie was and it's the playoffs, so it'd be a game, max.

The reality is though that he didn't even get a game misconduct like Ovechkin did. A suspension likely isn't coming and the NHL still lacks any bit of consistency.

By god, he'd better get a f@#$ing suspension. He laid down the EXACT SAME HIT AS OVECHKIN LAID DOWN ON CAMPBELL... and he did it while Campbell was on the ice, haha.

If he doesn't get a major suspension, then the NHL has made yet another joke of its own disciplinary system.

I'm struggling to see how this was the "EXACT SAME HIT AS OVECHKIN LAID DOWN ON CAMPBELL"...

Ovi with 2 hands shoved Campbell into the boards from behind AFTER Campbell gets rid of the puck.

In this situation both Hamhuis and Hossa are racin for the puck. Hossa gave Hamuhis a light nudge from behind, and he must have blew a tire. 99% of the time I doubt an NHL calibur skater would take that bad of a fall from a 1 handed nudge unless they blew a tire.

I could understand if the NHL definitely suspended Hossa for a game, because it sets a precedent and gives leeway for more thing's like this to happen. But for the NHL to suspend Hossa they would have to admit that they fluffed up, and should have kicked him out of the game right then, rather than allowing him to come back and score the game winning goal.

He won't be suspended. There was no intent to injure on the play. He's not a repeat offender. There was no injury to the head (which is why it wasn't a game misconduct).

I agree he likely won't be suspended, but there wasn't intent on Ovechkin's play either. And I think the injury to the head is kind of a weak criteria for the NHL to use. They claim it's not influenced by extent of the injury, but that's exactly what that is. Not to mention, you can't always tell if there's a head injury, unless the guy's knocked out cold. Hamhuis could wake up today with headaches and they'll find out he had a concussion.

Both plays they reached out and shoved the guy as he was headed towards the boards. That's always a dangerous play.

It was an equally dangerous play to what AO did to Campbell, it just didn't have as bad of consequences. If Hamhuis falls differently, it could've been a concussion and broken collarbone, or worse. But he gets up and skates away, so Hossa's back on the ice to score the winning goal.

I'm on the fence. Obviously, it's a similar situation - but he has no history and wasn't Ovie's suspension announced after Campbell's injury? Doesn't look like Hamhuis is missing any time. You can aruge consistency, but the playoffs are a different beast. Let's remember that Claude Lemieux was only suspended 2 games for what he did to Draper.

No, he has no history.

So What! History has NO BEARING on what he did. He put another player in a harmful situation and almost seriously hurt someone. Now grant you Hamius got up and skated away on his own (where as Campbell did not) Still a dangerous play and should be a suspension. I vote YES!

Using the "I didn't do it before" argument is pathetic. have some respect for the other guys on the ice and dont push from behind. Just because he has no history...Lets not give him a reason to start one and give him a pass.

How can you not hate him? If he even played to 50% of his ability the Wings would of won the Cup last season, GUARANTEED. Hossa has the most blame for under performing last play-offs. Now you want him to win a Cup with a new team? If you hate Chicago, you need to hate Hossa. Hossa doesn't deserve a cup. He's a cup chaser, who doesn't want to put in the work, the time, the effort. He didn't last season, why would it be so great if he won it now? f*** Marian Hossa.

Easily,

I don't hate Datsyuk or Franzen when they decide to not play to even 50% of their game either. I didn't hate Howard in game 3 when he didn't play to his 50%. I don't hate any player when they hit a slump. I'm just not that s***ty and fair weather of a fan.

I don't hate ANY player that plays the mercenary role and goes where the money is, even though I think they all make too much money as it is.

You say he's a cup chaser, like that's a bad thing? Show me one player in the NHL that doesn't chase the cup. Just not every player gets to bounce around for better chances.

Also, when did I say I was a hawks fan or I wanted him(them) to win the cup? LOL

I dislike the hawks ever since they became the choice of the douchebag generation along with the penguins.

A final point, I would love all the people who think that ONE player makes or breaks a cup bid to actually understand that there is an ENTIRE team failing to win it based on TEAM performance. In playoff hockey NOTHING is guaranteed. Certainly we're all smart enough to know 1 man didn't cost us the cup, right?

That's my opinion on that. Take it for what it's worth: nothing. LOL ;)

So What! History has NO BEARING on what he did. He put another player in a harmful situation and almost seriously hurt someone. Now grant you Hamius got up and skated away on his own (where as Campbell did not) Still a dangerous play and should be a suspension. I vote YES!

Using the "I didn't do it before" argument is pathetic. have some respect for the other guys on the ice and dont push from behind. Just because he has no history...Lets not give him a reason to start one and give him a pass.

The "I didn't do it before" argument isn't pathetic. When a player like Hossa has 10 years in the league without any supplemental disclipline, it's safe to say he's not a dirty player.

Yet, Pronger, Cooke, Ruutu, Laraque etc. all have a history so the benefit of doubt would not apply to them like it does to Hossa in this situation.

That said I wouldn't mind a one game suspension, these hits are very dangerous, but this was not a bloodthirsty check from behind therefore I don't see them suspending him. They gave him a 5 minute major in the last couple minutes of a game when his team was down a goal. That's a pretty steep punishment.

And the severity of the injury always plays a role in the punishment. If I shoot a man, and he lives my punishment would not be as severe as it would if he died. Or if I steal a pack of gum over a $40000 dollar car, or if I get in a bar fight and the person I fight gets brain damaged instead of a concussion etc... The level of punishment in our society depends on the severity of the outcome, it might not be fair, but that's why you don't break the rules in the first place you might not be lucky.

I'm on the fence. Obviously, it's a similar situation - but he has no history and wasn't Ovie's suspension announced after Campbell's injury? Doesn't look like Hamhuis is missing any time. You can aruge consistency, but the playoffs are a different beast. Let's remember that Claude Lemieux was only suspended 2 games for what he did to Draper.

Ovie had already gotten 2 game misconducts earlier in the season, so it was auto suspension for him after he got the 3rd game misconduct.

I think Hossa should be suspended for at least what ovie got, dirty hit, not as bad as ovies but look at it the intent is the same. But why did he not miss the rest of the game with a 5min in the last min of the 3rd? and he got the ot goal? i missed the game so i dont know what happend it just seems odd :blink:

I think Hossa should be suspended for at least what ovie got, dirty hit, not as bad as ovies but look at it the intent is the same. But why did he not miss the rest of the game with a 5min in the last min of the 3rd? and he got the ot goal? i missed the game so i dont know what happend it just seems odd :blink:

It was a 5 minute major. Not a 5 minute major with a game misconduct infraction. The Hawks killed off the penalty in OT, and Hossa came right out of the box onto the ice.

And no I don't believe the intent was the same. Its a physical sport in a playoff game. Both guys were racing and fighting for the puck which is what you should do. In the Ovi situation he shoved Campbell into the boards after Campbell had already got rid of the puck. Ovi probably could have been awarded the leeway to finish a check, but Ovi made the mistake of actually following through, which is why it turned out as bad as it did.

Edited by Biolink

I'm sick of seeing this crap and a suspension during the playoffs, especially to a star player is the only real punishment available to the league. I really don't care if it's borderline legal or open to debate legal. It's just a downright stupid play on Hossa's behalf and I'm all for sending a message for injuries caused by stupidity.